Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 PM

128 posts, read 180,930 times

Advertisements

I've been friends with this girl for twenty years. When we were younger, we partied a lot and generally acted irresponsible, but she never grew out of that behavior. She is now over 30 and doing the same things that she did when we were in our teens. She still does drugs (marijuana, cocaine, and whatever else comes along), drinks nearly every day, and smokes like a chimney. In fact, she is a couple of months pregnant right now and she's still smoking.

I think she's a sociopath because of the way she manipulates people, especially men. She likes to be the center of attention at all times, almost like she expects all the attention to be on her. She works as a waitress and makes friends with her customers, which are usually dirty old men. She then flirts with these guys and gets them to give her money and buy her things. She has gotten trips, clothes, jewelry, alcohol and drugs, and even a car this way. She does not care about these men and badmouths them behind their backs, but continues to take whatever she can from them. The main guy who is "funding" her right now is a different guy than her boyfriend.

When other people talk, she doesn't listen. She's only interested in the conversation if it's about her or pertaining to her life in some way. She likes to make the rules and expects other people to follow her plan. When we go out together, which is only a couple of times a year because I live on the other side of the country, she gets very competitive about who has more male attention. We are both social and outgoing, but I am there to have a good time, not to compete.

Her family doesn't seem to notice or care that she is this way. Her mother is very wealthy and gives her money on a regular basis, including paying her rent.

Does this sound like a sociopath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I don't know, but she doesn't sound like good friend material. I am shocked that she is smoking, and possibly drinking, when pregnant. I wonder if her "wealthy" mother knows this? She needs an intervention because of her pregnancy. Otherwise, I'd keep out of her life, because eventually she will try to borrow money from you, or otherwise use you if she is in a jam.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:05 PM

128 posts, read 180,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't know, but she doesn't sound like good friend material. I am shocked that she is smoking, and possibly drinking, when pregnant. I wonder if her "wealthy" mother knows this? She needs an intervention because of her pregnancy. Otherwise, I'd keep out of her life, because eventually she will try to borrow money from you, or otherwise use you if she is in a jam.
Yes she is drinking too. I don't know if her mother knows about it, but her mother has always treated her like she can do no wrong, like she's the golden child. I used to get the feeling like her mother wanted to be her. The mother was always talking about her daughter's "gorgeous figure", to the point where it was uncomfortable.

I agree that I need to get her out of my life. Luckily we live so far apart that it's not hard to avoid her. I don't even enjoy seeing her anymore, because she is such an energy sucker. She doesn't know how to give in a friendship.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:

I agree that I need to get her out of my life. Luckily we live so far apart that it's not hard to avoid her. I don't even enjoy seeing her anymore, because she is such an energy sucker. She doesn't know how to give in a friendship.
That's pretty callous. She already knows that little untold secret and she simply doesn't have to do anything. Never has and never had to. So, when are you really going to have the courage to tell her? In all honesty, you and her mother have a lot in common. Blaming her mother may be easy for you but you are suppose to be the friend for 20 plus years. So, what's up with that?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
It sounds like she is manipulative, selfish, and maybe a bit narcissistic, but not necessarily sociopathic.

How to Spot a Sociopath

Or she could just be a drug addict willing to do whatever it takes for cash to support her habit.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It sounds like she is manipulative, selfish, and maybe a bit narcissistic, but not necessarily sociopathic.

How to Spot a Sociopath

Or she could just be a drug addict willing to do whatever it takes for cash to support her habit.
Yes, I was thinking the same. Not a sociopath, but a person that's emotionally/mentally stunted.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes, I was thinking the same. Not a sociopath, but a person that's emotionally/mentally stunted.
Bingo. She's never had to put any effort into anything because that is all she knows. While I am certainly not a professional, I would reasonably say she's emotionally about thirteen years old.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 02-27-2014 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGal View Post
.....I think she's a sociopath because of the way she manipulates people, especially men. She likes to be the center of attention at all times, almost like she expects all the attention to be on her....
How is that different from most women?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
What used to be diagnosed as "spoiled brat".

Old 02-28-2014, 12:57 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
so·ci·o·path
1. a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

This is the definition of a sociopath (google knows lots of things)

This person you are calling your friend sounds like a spoiled brat who has never been taught how to be responsible nor held accountable for her actions.
If you don't want to spend time with her why do you?
Even if it is only a couple times a year isn't that a couple times a year too many?
It appears you stay in contact with her other ways as well so perhaps you really don't want to get away from her.
If you did there would be no contact, no getting together, and you would not know she is pregnant let alone the more personal information about her like she is smoking and drinking while she is pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships