Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times

Advertisements

I've made and lost more friends than I can count.

People are strange and you never really know what's going on inside their heads.

I'd just give him to God, by which I mean, forget about it. You don't need people who do that sort of unfair chit, no one does.

Apart from being hurtful, he was also RUDE.

So f%&$ him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
What were his reasons?

Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I would respond with an email stating that I was sorry you felt this way and the door was always open on your end and leave it at that.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:19 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I had a very close friend for years that I would see about once every 2 weeks and email 3-4 times a week. For years we had the greatest time emailing and talking about every topic under the sun. When not emailing we would have long lunches and great conversations.

In the final year of our friendship there was some conflict when I felt he did not show as much interest in our friendship as I did.
I'm wondering if the frequency was too much for him. It is possible to have too much of a thing you would otherwise enjoy in smaller doses. Nothing feels pleasant when you are forced into it.

The frequency you are describing is quite "involved." It is possible that at certain stages of his life where maybe he didn't have much going on, that was an okay frequency. But we all get busy. We all go through hard times, or times when we want to do something else, or times when we have our attention divided in a lot of places. If during those times, rather than letting the relationship flex and breathe, you decided to pour on the pressure (which is how I'm reading the "conflict" about him not showing "as much interest"), it may have turned it from a pleasant thing he found enjoyable to an expectation that came with a lot of pressure, so he was left with no choice but to end it entirely.

Perhaps he would've preferred to stay friends and just not have contact so frequently, but it appears when things started going that way, instead of allowing it to happen and be mutual (this is really no different than the old "he's just not that into you" argument), you had to force it.

I would leave things be and learn a lesson for next time.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I would respond with an email stating that I was sorry you felt this way and the door was always open on your end and leave it at that.
I think this is the most gracious way to handle things. Well said.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:22 PM

313 posts, read 496,805 times
Sending an email declaring an end to a friendship is pretty childish.

I'd have to say I've never lost a friend. I have grown apart from friends, both in distance and relationship, which causes us to talk less and less throughout the years, but there has never been a "we can no longer be friends" discussion.

I think this would only happen if one person felt the other said or did something that was against what they think/believe/morality.

I've not talked to friends for years, and then I get a message or phone call and we're back picking up where we left off. We don't have to tell each other our deepest secrets, and we don't even talk about why we didn't talk for years or months. Who cares. People are people, let them be who they are. Friendships are fluid, not something that just starts and abruptly stops.

I wouldn't be friends with someone so petty and childish in the first place.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:

In the final year of our friendship there was some conflict when I felt he did not show as much interest in our friendship as I did.
That's how seventh graders handle friendships.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
I had a very close friend for years that I would see about once every 2 weeks and email 3-4 times a week. For years we had the greatest time emailing and talking about every topic under the sun. When not emailing we would have long lunches and great conversations.

One day out of the blue he sent an email and asked me to stop calling and emailing and that our friendship was over. Up to now six months later, I did not respond but think maybe now that my head is clear and have time to think about it, maybe I should email him and discuss the situation.

If it is email or in person, if someone says they want to end a friendship, would you try to fight to save it, or do what I did and just not respond and move on?
It took you 6 months to have a clear head and time to think? I would have responded to him right then and there when he first emailed you, not 6 months later. I would move on. Six months have passed by and he hasn't reached out to you. I have ended friendships and sometimes months later the person would email me or call me. I moved on and didn't respond.

I don't know what happened between you and your friend, but whatever it was you said to him, it hit him hard.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
"I felt he did not show as much interest in our friendship as I did."

You sound like a (overly needy-type) female. Big turn off!!

What did you expect from such a declaration?

Sorry, but that's not exactly a typical guy/guy friendship subject or way of handling things.

Even if you felt like that, you shouldn't have voiced it to him.

BTW, if you felt like that enough to feel like spewing it, YOU should have been the one to cut it off or slowly fade away.
I believe the OP is male. It may not be a "typical" guy way of handling it, but guys come in all flavors and thankfully, a variety of behaviors. It's not just women who are needy!

Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
It took you 6 months to have a clear head and time to think? I would have responded to him right then and there when he first emailed you, not 6 months later. I would move on. Six months have passed by and he hasn't reached out to you. I have ended friendships and sometimes months later the person would email me or call me. I moved on and didn't respond.

I don't know what happened between you and your friend, but whatever it was you said to him, it hit him hard.
Friends can be very "brutal" at times! Then you start to question your "friendship"! This is what they think about me? I thought we were "cool"!
Good friends keep you real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships