Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,665,923 times

Advertisements

You would have more ground to stand on if you actually contributed to something regardless of whether your grandma needs it. That being said, I do agree working a mind numbing minimum wage job verses studying for a better grade doesn't seem like a good tradeoff. Just be sure you are spending that extra time wisely, get on the Dean's list and don't just skirt by academically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:48 PM

24,459 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherashley View Post
I realize I'll have expenses. I did live in one dorm and two off campus apartments where I managed all of my bills. When the time comes I'll be alright. I would have moved into a dorm but the spaces were full. I then was going to sign an apartment lease but then grandma nicely insisted I could stay with her.

The Disney trip is my college graduation trip. I earned it because I busted my ass for four years.
Sorry - you had a chance to go to school and a place to live. Busting your a... is a full time job, a full load and graduating and having a job lined up.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Money doesn't seem to be the issue here. Personally, if you were my daughter and money was not a problem, I would rather you concentrate on your GPA instead of a minimum wage job experience. Employers will look at 4.0 GPA with more interest than whether you worked at Walmart during college, especially with a STEM degree.
I'm gonna agree with this. I worked a 10-hours-a-week gig during college - enough to pay for my "fun" and any extra expenses. It wasn't enough to interfere with my academics. If Grandma's not asking for rent or having to financially support the OP, her insistence on the OP having a job is a bit silly. I know more than a few people who didn't work while they were taking classes, and it didn't mean they were entitled douchebags.

I think both sides are rather ridiculous here though - Grandma for insisting on the OP having a job just for the sake of having a job and the OP for insisting that a 10-day trip to Disney World is somehow something she deserves for her hard work (how about taking that money and putting it towards getting established as an independent adult?). Both seem equally nonsensical, so it's basically two somewhat irrational people butting heads.

And what it comes down to, OP, is the fact that you made a promise to your grandmother, no matter how ridiculous it is. And she appears to be taking it quite seriously. So you either move out or you go to her and ask how you can make this right another way. Or you get a job. I worked in one of my college's libraries for 4 years - it was quite a pleasant job.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM

24,459 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
Dude, in the real world, no one gives a rat's you know what about GPA, all that matters is you graduated.

Why? cause GPA is about books and idealistic theories, not whether someone can do the job or not.

Sorry to bust your bubble - it counts 25 years down the line.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:11 PM

17 posts, read 17,105 times
Wow. Such critical, judgmental responses. I am surprised that these comments come from "adults". I certainly don't talk or act that way. Good lord.

So, I think I should clear up a few things. First off, I do have a job after graduation. I did an internship my sophomore year and recently I started networking. I am moving in the summer because as soon as I graduate I am moving to a nearby city to start my new job. I even have an additional back up, sort of, if anything was to happen with this first job. Really though, I should be fine. It's not as though I am graduating and going blindly into the work place. Haha, no way. That's why I was trying to secure work prior to graduation.

People here have said I am spoiled and entitled and have negative things to say about the Disney World trip. I am not paying for that, my parents are. They are divorced but came together and wanted to do something for me since I am graduating. I said Disney World and they said okay. Of course I am planning it and I am on the disboards every chance I get, planning and trying to make my parents' money count. I am planning it around the start of my new job so I can have a last hurrah with my friends.

Some of you may think a college education is pointless or silly or nothing to celebrate. In my family it is because I am the second person to graduate with a bachelor's. I realize this doesn't make me some special snowflake but I am proud of myself and I like that my work is being acknowledged with a fun trip. Sorry if that angers you. It angered my grandma too, trust me. @__@

My grandma is a nice woman and we love each other but we have our differences. I am just at an age where I don't need family members micromanaging my life. I am a grown ass woman. I take care of my bills and my business. I only moved in with her because she asked me and I was glad because I didn't want to have to sign another lease on an apartment. Looking back that was a mistake.

I came here looking for help on how I can move out without my departure souring our relationship. Instead I got a lot of rudeness. Thanks for those of you who are helping It's appreciated! I'm bad with confrontation and explaining myself sometimes.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
And what it comes down to, OP, is the fact that you made a promise to your grandmother, no matter how ridiculous it is. And she appears to be taking it quite seriously. So you either move out or you go to her and ask how you can make this right another way. Or you get a job. I worked in one of my college's libraries for 4 years - it was quite a pleasant job.
-sigh- I know. I worked for a while but I just never had time... I thought if she saw how busy I was she'd just let it go. Even when I was working though it wasn't good enough for her either.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
You would have more ground to stand on if you actually contributed to something regardless of whether your grandma needs it. That being said, I do agree working a mind numbing minimum wage job verses studying for a better grade doesn't seem like a good tradeoff. Just be sure you are spending that extra time wisely, get on the Dean's list and don't just skirt by academically.
Thanks! I agree. Devoting my valuable time toward a minimum wage job would be pointless at this point. Walmart was my first minimum wage job and I was miserable and not devoting enough time to my classes.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I do agree with carrying your weight (at least) in household chores.
Sure. I buy groceries too. That's not an issue.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I agree, after graduating you should have a trip...and a long relaxing and fun
one to remember!
You are only young once.
I'm so excited about the trip, hah. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Someone smart enough to be in college should be aware of the state of the economy. All those people who are unable to find work? A lot of them are college grads. A lot of them with experience in the field of their degree(s).

Maybe Disney has some openings?
Was this comment necessary? You must be thirteen and using mom and dad's computer

I have a job lined up. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
He/she DID work, did meet the "agreement", and now needs to concentrate on the final semester or so before graduation. If Grandma can't understand that, then, sadly, she must do without the company of her grandchild according to the (unreasonable) rule she laid down.
Exactly. I wish there was a way I could explain this to her though. :/

Old 03-17-2014, 03:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherashley View Post

My grandma is a nice woman and we love each other but we have our differences. I am just at an age where I don't need family members micromanaging my life. I am a grown ass woman. I take care of my bills and my business. I only moved in with her because she asked me and I was glad because I didn't want to have to sign another lease on an apartment. Looking back that was a mistake.
With all due respect, "a grown ass woman" knows that when you enter into a contract you stand by it. As said before, if the arrangement isn't to your liking then you can move if, after sitting down quietly with your grandmother in an attempt to reach a compromise, one can't be reached. That's what "grown ass" adults do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships