Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 PM

12 posts, read 14,260 times

Advertisements

I worked with this woman five years ago who is more than 15 years older than I. We are both women over the age of 40. She is a married grandmother. Her husband is retired, and they have a beautiful home with a pool that is paid off. Her father was a university professor.

She and I have known each other for more than ten years now.

I come from much more challenging life circumstances, than she, as a first generation college student. However, I feel as if she has come to rely on me as her mentor, especially when it comes to employment.

The last job I referred her to, did not end well, where she hired a lawyer and the company settled out of court with her for an undisclosed amount of money. She has filed complaints and age or gender discrimination type complaints at more than one job.

Once, when I told her about a job I was interviewing for, she applied and interviewed for the same job, even though she was married and employed. I was single and unemployed at the time. Neither one of us got the job. I wasn't that upset with her at the time because there were two job openings.

My issue is that she now wants to work where I work. I just started a new job a month ago. She has a job, but says that she was told she only has two months before her job is eliminated.

Every day she emails me about working for the company where I work. I asked her to wait until my six week training was over before referring her for a job here. She applied online anyway and used my name as a reference. She is now asking me for my supervisor's name and email. I told her the truth, that my supervisor is out of the office and on vacation.

Her behavior is actually frightening me.

I have been polite and have spoken with her and given her encouragement to apply for other similar jobs at other companies. I have realized that she causes trouble for me in one way or another. She used to say she experienced age discrimination but now we are both over the age of 40.

How do I handle this situation? I don't think she will give up, and I also don't think direct confrontation will help.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
I think you need to be clear. "Please do not contact me about jobs here. I am new on the job and need to keep my head down and just do the job." "I am feeling hounded with the constant communications about my new place of work."

This is still being polite but being absolutely clear. You may lose an aquaintance but this person could truly be dangerous to you and your job. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Contact HR and let them know that you found out she is using your name as a reference, but you are not referring her.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Contact HR and let them know that you found out she is using your name as a reference, but you are not referring her.
Yep ^^^.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
Your friend has no sense of boundaries, and you have not been firm enough in establishing them.

The one word you need to learn is the word NO. No, I cannot help you. No, I cannot refer you.

Definitely contact HR about the fact you are not referring her. I wouldn't even hestitate to say that I would not recommend her.

If she continues to badger you about the the name/email of your supervisor, besides telling her NO, block her email, block phone calls. Have no further contact with this woman.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
This. Put an end to it right now.

When she asks for your supervisor's name, tell her she has no need for it because there are no openings in your department.

If she insists, tell her you are busy and cease communicating with her.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
I agree, this.

What nerve as someone already stated, she has boundaries issues.

That is actually laughable that she thinks anyone at new job has an "in", never mind your six weeks training period. I would say you need to be on the job at least 6 months yourself.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 14,260 times
I appreciate the suggestions. I am so leery of contacting HR unless they contact me for a specific reference for her. I underwent a thorough background check and they actually do call and check references. I am assuming her résumé will not pass the computer portion due to a lack of very specific experience and certification that is required.

The thing is, most times she is a very good friend to me, and I enjoyed working with her. If she wasn't starting to exhibit the crazy- making obsessive behavior towards work that I have seen in the past not end well, I would want to work with her again.

I was trying to salvage the friendship from her obsessiveness about this job. Now, I am afraid if I confront her, she will retaliate.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
In that case, just be a dead end.

At this point, you have to listen to your gut. You KNOW this is not a normal, healthy situation, so just give flat answers. You don't owe her anything going forward.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_job1 View Post
I appreciate the suggestions. I am so leery of contacting HR unless they contact me for a specific reference for her. I underwent a thorough background check and they actually do call and check references. I am assuming her résumé will not pass the computer portion due to a lack of very specific experience and certification that is required.
What if they don't contact you and she gets hired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_job1 View Post
I was trying to salvage the friendship from her obsessiveness about this job. Now, I am afraid if I confront her, she will retaliate.
She's a bully. She will retaliate. That's why you don't confront her. You become busy and slowly cease contact. Don't respond to her emails. When she catches up with you via phone, say you're super busy. If she invites you to do something, say you wish you could but it's too short notice or it's too far in advance you're not sure you can. I normally don't encourage people to be passive, but I think she sounds crazy enough to retaliate via calling your HR department or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships