U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM

179 posts, read 187,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I've noticed there is a lot of difference in how differently aged people use their cell phones. Of course, I don't know every American, but the hundreds I've been around casually and closely most often use them like this:

25 or younger: more likely to text and use them for social networking. Also more likely to be rude with them and interrupt social gatherings with them.
30-50: more likely to use them for phone calls, web browsing, and business and step outside to use them.
50+: more likely to use them for phone calls only just occasionally and use non smartphone types.

There is also a difference in voicemail usage. Older people (30+,) are more likely to actually leave a message when they leave a voicemail. Younger people are more likely to just hang up. They reason you will just call back, even though you don't know why they called. Of course, these aren't hard and fast rules; just what I've noticed overall.
I almost never leave voicemails when it comes to personal calls, I'm more likely to send a follow up text and most of my friends in my age range tend to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM

747 posts, read 1,211,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that's a bit extreme to me. But a good guest knows to leave the phone in his pocket. To me about the only appropriate one gets the phone out is to say, "Would you excuse me for a moment? I just need to check with the sitter." But a person who pulls out his mobile phone in a social gathering to surf the sports scores is someone who just told everybody that they're not very important. These things matter.
Agreed! A few years ago, some friends were over at our house for a get-together and one of them was constantly on her phone. Later on I saw where she was posting on Facebook and said she was bored and not having fun where she was. I noticed the time stamps were when she was here. I've always been accused of being too sensitive, but that did hurt my feelings. Personally I do think it's rude to be more engaged with your phone than with the person you're spending time with.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:08 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,608,781 times
Next people will be complaining about people using their smartphones while waiting at the DMV.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,020,006 times
The phone is my tool. I'm not it's "tool".

Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Next people will be complaining about people using their smartphones while waiting at the DMV.
"But you should be fully present and paying attention at that event."

Good lord, I'd hate to see what else these cell phone manners extremeists get upset about. People breathing at weddings, people blinking at funerals.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM

22,580 posts, read 24,170,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Good lord, I'd hate to see what else these cell phone manners extremeists get upset about. People breathing at weddings, people blinking at funerals.
You always get so angry and defensive when these cell phone topics come up. I don't think it's the OP who's an extremist.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You always get so angry and defensive when these cell phone topics come up. I don't think it's the OP who's an extremist.
Who took the time to create this g$ddamn rant of a thread in the first place? Answer me that.

Don't confuse my passion with anger.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:02 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,442,328 times
Quote:
Really silly comparisons that detract from your argument.

The phone isn't to blame, it's just made being a DB easier.

Who hasn't needed to take a breather from a wedding for a few minutes? Phone use or ciggy break...no big deal.

But if you disappear for two or three hours, you're a DB whether it's 2014 and you're glued to your phone or it's 1988 and you're hiding in the hotel bar watching a game.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:21 PM

4,070 posts, read 3,102,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Quote:
"But you should be fully present and paying attention at that event."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Quote:
Who took the time to create this g$ddamn rant of a thread in the first place? Answer me that.

Don't confuse my passion with anger.
I will be one of the first ones to admit that there is quite a bit of inappropriate smartphone usage in our society now. It is clearly rude to use one's phone during a one-on-one conversation or in a small gathering of five or less unless permission is granted by the group. Furthermore there are also some events where it is inappropriate to use smartphones: lectures, seminars, speeches, press conferences and funerals as it is rude to the speakers or presenters and may interrupt the flow of the event. All that being said a wedding is a party, an event of pomp and circumstance. Aside from certain moments during the ceremony, I do not see anything rude about stepping outside to use one's smartphone. If it not in front of the host party (bride and groom) it is simply not rude.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 PM

4,070 posts, read 3,102,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
But if you disappear for two or three hours, you're a DB whether it's 2014 and you're glued to your phone or it's 1988 and you're hiding in the hotel bar watching a game.
The problem is we do not know how long the smartphone users described by the OP were really out there. We are presented with only one side of the issue (a.k.a the OP). Did they all go out as a group or did they trickle out there one by one? Furthermore what is considered too long: fifteen minutes, thirty minutes, one hour, two hours? As far as I am concerned they stepped outside the main event to use their smartphone and that is more respectful than doing it inside the reception in the presence of the host party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships