U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 PM

23,631 posts, read 33,419,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Maybe they were watching the March Madness basketball games? I would've loved to have one of these phones back in the day when clueless folks would schedule a wedding or other social event right in the middle of the tournament.
Exactly! If you are going to schedule something while Louisville is in the tourney, don't be surprised when my attention is diverted if I attend, which is a huge maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,210,196 times
Welcome to the new reality. You can adjust, accept, or complain, but I don't expect it will change.

Every generation includes changes which some people feel are negative.

Your lack of acceptance will, over time, be viewed as you getting older, more rigid, and progressing towards the "get off my lawn" attitude when everything was better in the "good ol' days" and bread was ten cents a loaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Just returned from a wedding. It was a lot of fun. Good food, great band, lots of dancing. Yet, MrsCPG pointed out a cluster of six people sitting out on the balcony staring down at their smart phones. We're not talking a casual glance either. We're talking glued to the cotton-picking things.

It's something I've noticed a lot. People can't seem to leave the damned things alone for a couple of hours. What gives?

Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,094,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Welcome to the new reality. You can adjust, accept, or complain, but I don't expect it will change.

Every generation includes changes which some people feel are negative.

Your lack of acceptance will, over time, be viewed as you getting older, more rigid, and progressing towards the "get off my lawn" attitude when everything was better in the "good ol' days" and bread was ten cents a loaf.
Agreed! The baby boomers must adapt or lose credibility with the younger generations.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:33 PM

23,631 posts, read 33,419,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Agreed! The baby boomers must adapt or lose credibility with the younger generations.
They've long lost that for the most part with us.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:17 PM

2,743 posts, read 1,701,611 times
Quote:
Like I care...

Old 03-22-2014, 10:34 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,583,473 times
Weddings are very long sometimes and often exhausting. Why would you jump on a phone at a wedding?

-Take a breather. All the music, dancing, eating and drinking can be a bit much.
-Check on the kids/pets.
-Respond to calls or texts that are important.

I think it's ridiculous when people can't be apart from their phones for more than a few minutes, but I can totally see why someone would check out to use one during a long social event.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,732,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Just returned from a wedding. It was a lot of fun. Good food, great band, lots of dancing. Yet, MrsCPG pointed out a cluster of six people sitting out on the balcony staring down at their smart phones. We're not talking a casual glance either. We're talking glued to the cotton-picking things.

It's something I've noticed a lot. People can't seem to leave the damned things alone for a couple of hours. What gives?
It's fun for them. Why do you mind? Is it because you want them to interact with you instead? Maybe they don't like the place/crowd they are in, so they prefer to reach long distance through to the one they prefer...?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:59 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
~groan~ Give us some a break and some credit, for pete's sake, we invented this stuff and most of us are ok with it, actually you'd be surprised to find how many of us are early adopters.
I'm 65 years old, have two 30-something sons and I'm the go-to tech person in the family.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
~groan~ Give us some a break and some credit, for pete's sake, we invented this stuff and most of us are ok with it, actually you'd be surprised to find how many of us are early adopters.
I'm 65 years old, have two 30-something sons and I'm the go-to tech person in the family, was on my job too up until I retired in 2011. I mentored folks way younger than me, and I continue to volunteer as a tech trainer at my local library.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:02 PM

8,614 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
Oh those gosh durn millennials and their cooky devices! I'm a millennial myself who is probably guilty of this behavior, it doesn't bother me when people are glued to their phones though, why would it? The only time it irks me is when it's someone who's actually being paid to pay attention to me, you know, like a cashier or waiter, otherwise I don't care. Sometimes that little mobile device can have a lot more to offer in terms of entertainment than any humans in the immediate vicinity.

Edit:
Oh and when people are driving, it irks me then too. I used to be guilty of this too but those commercials that feature victims of texting and driving scared me straight.
I'm a cashier and I see a lot of phone users come through my register. I don't care. They can talk all they want and it actually makes my job faster. I don't have to interact with them and I can just get 'er done. I ALWAYS greet them, on the phone or not. Sometimes they'll return it and sometimes they won't. Either is okay with me. I have thus far NOT seen any cashiers...or servers, when I waitressed...using a cell phone on the job. During breaks is another story. If there are 8 people in the break area at least 7 will be 'buried' in their phones. Our breaks are very peaceful and quiet and sometimes we even get to know one another.

I wouldn't know if another driver is texting but I CAN tell when they are talking on their phone. Sometimes it irks me and sometimes it doesn't. I just hope they don't kill someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships