U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:48 AM

20,070 posts, read 14,394,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Just returned from a wedding. It was a lot of fun. Good food, great band, lots of dancing. Yet, MrsCPG pointed out a cluster of six people sitting out on the balcony staring down at their smart phones. We're not talking a casual glance either. We're talking glued to the cotton-picking things.

It's something I've noticed a lot. People can't seem to leave the damned things alone for a couple of hours. What gives?
I agree, and have wondered the same thing!

Here's just one recent example:

My wife and a close pal went to the theater. They were there to see a performance given by a dance group from Ireland. Just as soon as they took their seats, her friend whipped out the old smart phone. When my wife asked her about it, she said this: "I'm just checking us in on Facebook." My wife isn't even on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 AM

14,316 posts, read 7,883,410 times
There's a time and a place for everything. People on phones don't belong in movie theaters, driving cars, visiting with friends, at dinner tables, or at work. There are still no cell phones allowed when the shorties sleep over. A little consideration and common sense goes a long way.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 AM

16,992 posts, read 20,622,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
Yea you should tell her about it if it hurts your feelings and you guys don't even get to hang out that much as it is. That kind of thing never really bothers me when it happens to me though. Maybe it's because I'm just used to it? I think my generation is a little more ok with how detached humanity can be from reality these days due to technology more so than some of the older folks are.

Albert Einstien said " I fear the day that technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".

I agree with the OP, put the damn phone away for a few hours . I wonder if these people who were out staring into the phones at wedding realize that many couples meet at weddings.

Mr/ Ms. Right could have been at the same wedding and they're so involved with their phones they miss the opportunity.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 AM

179 posts, read 187,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Albert Einstien said " I fear the day that technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".

I agree with the OP, put the damn phone away for a few hours . I wonder if these people who were out staring into the phones at wedding realize that many couples meet at weddings.

Mr/ Ms. Right could have been at the same wedding and they're so involved with their phones they miss the opportunity.
Or maybe they were swiping right on their Tinder apps and meeting their future Husband/Wife that way

Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 AM

16,992 posts, read 20,622,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
It's fun for them. Why do you mind? Is it because you want them to interact with you instead? Maybe they don't like the place/crowd they are in, so they prefer to reach long distance through to the one they prefer...?

Than don't go.

To use your logic, if you don't like where you work, than don't do the work. Just sit on your smart phone all day....I wonder how that would work out.

Most people don't go like going to funerals, but you go out respect. Should people who are bored text over the casket????

Old 03-23-2014, 11:27 AM

23,587 posts, read 33,342,895 times
Quote:
It's just a basketball game. I've been to weddings smack dab in the middle of when my favorite team was playing a big game. But I put on my big boy pants and realized that, compared to the event at hand, sports is just a bunch of damned nonsense. Record it on your DVR.
1. As a rule, since I do not believe in marriage, I don't attend weddings anyway. Besides with the way the dating the world is today, I'll likely have two or three chances to attend a wedding per friend.

2. Trust me dude. Louisville vs U of Kentucky is NOT just a basketball game. DVRing it is in no way the same as watching it live.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:27 AM

14,614 posts, read 8,422,178 times
Quote:
It's just a basketball game. I've been to weddings smack dab in the middle of when my favorite team was playing a big game. But I put on my big boy pants and realized that, compared to the event at hand, sports is just a bunch of damned nonsense. Record it on your DVR.
My father and my sister went one step further. I was unfortunate enough to be born during the basketball season. When I was a young teen, I had a birthday party scheduled during some big basketball game. This was before the age of the DVR. My father and sister, who I rarely saw, came to the party, held at a Chili's restaurant. During the entire two hours we were there, my sister and father kept getting up from the table to watch the basketball game at the bar, leaving me at the table with my grandmother. My father is no longer a part of my life, mostly by his own accord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
Or maybe they were swiping right on their Tinder apps and meeting their future Husband/Wife that way
I met my husband on Craigslist. I was looking for a used bookcase. I didn't even know Craigslist had personals. We just celebrated our 5th anniversary. I still don't have the bookcase

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 03-23-2014 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Did you and your wife follow these people around all night and confirm that they did not do ANY socializing at all? Perhaps it was a long night and they grew tired of being social and needed a break. Some people just might not be as social as you and your wife and that is not a bad thing.
I'd like to know what these cell phone haters are smoking that it is such a big damned deal to them if someone steps away from the party for a minute or two and checks their email or scores. Does it affect their health? Do they disappear if someone opens their Iphone? Do zombies attack them if someone checks a FB message on their Galaxy?

Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

If I were looking for a date, as someone who doesn't believe in marriage, a wedding is the LAST place I'd look.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 AM

15,490 posts, read 17,669,575 times
People have bee hanging out on the outdoor railings to avoid the reception scene at weddings for decades if not centuries. But in the olden days (more than 10 years ago) they used to look at the distance deep in thought or talk to the other people, hook up and get laid.

I don't see how deep thoughts or getting laid can possibly compete with seeing what your friends ate for dinner on facebook or watching a youtuble video of a cat puking on a pug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships