U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:50 AM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Reputation: 46025

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
1. As a rule, since I do not believe in marriage, I don't attend weddings anyway. Besides with the way the dating the world is today, I'll likely have two or three chances to attend a wedding per friend.

2. Trust me dude. Louisville vs U of Kentucky is NOT just a basketball game. DVRing it is in no way the same as watching it live.
1. That's neither here nor there. If you don't attend weddings, then this post really doesn't apply to you. To me, the issue would be with people who attend a wedding and then spend the entire reception glued to their phones. For that is telling everyone there, "Okay, I made the bare minimum effort to be here. But really my mind is somewhere else." There is nothing more ridiculous than someone who cannot sit still at a wedding because they have to keep up with a game.

2. Auburn vs. Alabama here, the end-all, be-all sporting rivalry in human history, one that puts Germany vs. France to shame. But I've actually attended a wedding that someone decided to have right in the middle of the Iron Bowl. I went. I paid attention the service. I was polite and engaging at the reception, and I left after an hour and sat down at the DVR to watch.

It's really simple. If you make the choice to be somewhere with other people, the phone and what's on it take second fiddle. It's the mark of an adult, not an overgrown child with ADD issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:51 AM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,665,159 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
Or maybe they were swiping right on their Tinder apps and meeting their future Husband/Wife that way
Than why not do that later? Say when they're home alone????

You have the opportunity to meet someone in person who could be your future love interest.

A wedding is a perfect place for that, you have people in common. other people at the wedding will know something about the other person.

Save the "Tinder apps" for another time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:56 AM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Reputation: 46025
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than why not do that later? Say when they're home alone????

You have the opportunity to meet someone in person who could be your future love interest.

A wedding is a perfect place for that, you have people in common. other people at the wedding will know something about the other person.

Save the "Tinder apps" for another time.
Yep. If you can't meet someone of the opposite sex at a wedding, you just aren't trying that hard. The wedding yesterday was filled to the rafter with women I'd given my eyeteeth to have encountered in my single life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:01 PM
 
179 posts, read 187,575 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than why not do that later? Say when they're home alone????

You have the opportunity to meet someone in person who could be your future love interest.

A wedding is a perfect place for that, you have people in common. other people at the wedding will know something about the other person.

Save the "Tinder apps" for another time.
I don't know man, maybe everyone isn't having such an engaging and enchanting time as you are with the wedding festivities. I still don't understand how someone diddling with their phone can affect someone else so negatively. Like I said earlier, if they're not at work or driving then who really cares? As long as they put their device away for all of the "important" parts of the wedding such as the exchanging of vows and what have you then I don't see a problem with them pitter pattering away on their phones. For all you know they could be coordinating an escape plan to a much more interesting event with more entertaining people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 PM
 
4,064 posts, read 3,093,735 times
Reputation: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People have bee hanging out on the outdoor railings to avoid the reception scene at weddings for decades if not centuries. But in the olden days (more than 10 years ago) they used to look at the distance deep in thought or talk to the other people, hook up and get laid.
Very true! The behavior is almost as old as civilization itself, the only thing that is new is the tool (the smartphone). Before the proliferation of smartphones, people who wanted to minimize involvement with things like wedding receptions had to be more sneaky and stealthy.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 03-23-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:18 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,665,159 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
I don't know man, maybe everyone isn't having such an engaging and enchanting time as you are with the wedding festivities. I still don't understand how someone diddling with their phone can affect someone else so negatively. Like I said earlier, if they're not at work or driving then who really cares? As long as they put their device away for all of the "important" parts of the wedding such as the exchanging of vows and what have you then I don't see a problem with them pitter pattering away on their phones. For all you know they could be coordinating an escape plan to a much more interesting event with more entertaining people.

So you can't think of how someone diddling on their phone can't impact other people negatively?

I can, awhile back I was standing behind a young woman whom I thought was at the drop off window of a pharmacy located inside a supermarket. Turns out she wasn't in line, she just decided to start texting and was oblivious to the fact that she decided to stand where the line is.

Same thing happened in the post office, the clerk had to yell out 3 times "NEXT" to this woman who was so engrossed in her phone, finally the person behind her went....LOL.

My favorites are the ones with the shopping carts who are so busy with their phone they're unaware of others around them who need to get by.

You have to text in a store, than find a spot where you're not impacting other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM
 
4,064 posts, read 3,093,735 times
Reputation: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
I don't know man, maybe everyone isn't having such an engaging and enchanting time as you are with the wedding festivities. I still don't understand how someone diddling with their phone can affect someone else so negatively. Like I said earlier, if they're not at work or driving then who really cares? As long as they put their device away for all of the "important" parts of the wedding such as the exchanging of vows and what have you then I don't see a problem with them pitter pattering away on their phones. For all you know they could be coordinating an escape plan to a much more interesting event with more entertaining people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So you can't think of how someone diddling on their phone can't impact other people negatively?

I can, awhile back I was standing behind a young woman whom I thought was at the drop off window of a pharmacy located inside a supermarket. Turns out she wasn't in line, she just decided to start texting and was oblivious to the fact that she decided to stand where the line is.

Same thing happened in the post office, the clerk had to yell out 3 times "NEXT" to this woman who was so engrossed in her phone, finally the person behind her went....LOL.

My favorites are the ones with the shopping carts who are so busy with their phone they're unaware of others around them who need to get by.

You have to text in a store, than find a spot where you're not impacting other people.
Whoa! TennValleyDuuude is talking about diddling on a phone at a wedding and seain dublin is responding with retail examples. While the use of cellphones in retail establishments is certainly a topic worth discussing (and I would agree with sean dublin on his points if the topic at hand was centered on retail establishments) but this thread is about cellphone use in weddings. That being said I think diddling on a phone at a wedding doesn't have any negative implications unless it happens during the vows or creates some sort of distraction that impacts the bride and groom. It does not sound like either of those scenarios happened at the OP's event and the OP is just being judgmental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM
 
107 posts, read 100,291 times
Reputation: 64
One thing that irritates me is these blue tooth devices that make people look like Doctor Spock. These people are looking at you, talking, then you discover they are actually talking to someone on the dumb cell phone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM
 
13,219 posts, read 17,762,574 times
Reputation: 19879
I love to cook and dare to claim being a good cook. The more company the merrier. Those guests who are not on call for work or sitters know the basket which will hold their phones until they leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,831,065 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have to text in a store, than find a spot where you're not impacting other people.
A few months ago, a woman I didn't know came up to me in the grocery store and started fussing at me about texting in the store while people are trying to shop.

I wasn't texting ... I was on the store's app checking items off my shopping list as I added them to my cart.

It's no wonder I'm starting to like my phone far more than many people I encounter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top