U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,792,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I love to cook and dare to claim being a good cook. The more company the merrier. Those guests who are not on call for work or sitters know the basket which will hold their phones until they leave.
I'm afraid I wouldn't go to the home of someone who would treat me like a child, no matter how good the food is. If you shoved a basket in my face as I walked in the door, I'd turn around and leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:24 PM

13,658 posts, read 13,426,400 times
Once while near the end of a friend's birthday dinner, I dared to check my facebook page - it was very dark in the restaurant and everyone had paired off into conversations as things wound down, and I was at loose ends with no one to talk to, and no reason to insert myelf into someone else's conversation. The friend became offended and said "Facebook. Let's go." and ended the evening. Apparently, I should have just sat there in the darkness until everyone was through. Amusingly, this is the same friend that once insisted I hold her phone and check her in at the places we passed on a road trip at 3 in the morning while she drove at unsafe speeds on mountain roads.

There's a time and a place for someone to be on their smartphone, but really the only person who can determine that is the person in possession of the phone.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 PM

14,432 posts, read 8,314,714 times
Quote:
I love to cook and dare to claim being a good cook. The more company the merrier. Those guests who are not on call for work or sitters know the basket which will hold their phones until they leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm afraid I wouldn't go to the home of someone who would treat me like a child, no matter how good the food is. If you shoved a basket in my face as I walked in the door, I'd turn around and leave.
I think Threestep's idea is a great one and not at all unreasonable. I'm going to try it. If you ever come by my house in the future, I'll quickly be minus a guest.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,507,460 times
Quote:
Well, that's a bit extreme to me. But a good guest knows to leave the phone in his pocket. To me about the only appropriate one gets the phone out is to say, "Would you excuse me for a moment? I just need to check with the sitter." But a person who pulls out his mobile phone in a social gathering to surf the sports scores is someone who just told everybody that they're not very important. These things matter.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:36 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,507,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Once while near the end of a friend's birthday dinner, I dared to check my facebook page - it was very dark in the restaurant and everyone had paired off into conversations as things wound down, and I was at loose ends with no one to talk to, and no reason to insert myelf into someone else's conversation. The friend became offended and said "Facebook. Let's go." and ended the evening. Apparently, I should have just sat there in the darkness until everyone was through. Amusingly, this is the same friend that once insisted I hold her phone and check her in at the places we passed on a road trip at 3 in the morning while she drove at unsafe speeds on mountain roads.

There's a time and a place for someone to be on their smartphone, but really the only person who can determine that is the person in possession of the phone.
Okay. But here's the question. Why was it so important to check your Facebook page? That's essentially the crux of the issue. It's a compulsion people have, rather than a real reason, with the result being walling oneself off from others. How hard could it have been to engage in conversation?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM

23,506 posts, read 33,212,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. But here's the question. Why was it so important to check your Facebook page? That's essentially the crux of the issue. It's a compulsion people have, rather than a real reason, with the result being walling oneself off from others. How hard could it have been to engage in conversation?
Reading the post by Jrz, apparently the others walled themselves from her. What the hell is she supposed to do in that situation, sit there with her face hanging out like a tree branch? I did the same thing once at a good friends birthday dinner, and shockingly the world did not end, her head stayed attached to her body, and she still likes me. Not everyone is an extremist about not using a smartphone at all during a social setting like is being displayed on this thread.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM

775 posts, read 986,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
She answered that question in the first sentence. Why does it bother you if someone looks at there phone for a few seconds when they're bored with no one to talk to? You sound like a control freak.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM

10,776 posts, read 7,981,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

My favorites are the ones with the shopping carts who are so busy with their phone they're unaware of others around them who need to get by.

You have to text in a store, than find a spot where you're not impacting other people.
I don't know why so many C-D'ers think that all people do with their smartphones is text, play games, and get on Facebook.

When you see folks consulting their phone while in a grocery store, they're probably using their phones as shopping aids. Mine has my grocery list, coupons, and up-to-the-moment notification of specials. I have all my recipes on it so if, say, brisket is on sale, I can call up a recipe and see what other ingredients I might need to make a dish. I also snap pictures of pantry items at home (like cat foods and condiments) and store them on my phone so I can be sure to get the right brand, flavor etc.

And if I *am* texting, it's to ask my husband to check to see if we can use an item I just discovered on sale. Or which beer he wants to go with the chili.
I'm a fairly typical adult smartphone user in a grocery store. We just want to do our shopping and get out, for pete's sake, neither I nor anyone else wants to stand around and text.

I take care not to block aisles for any reason. It's always people with carts, stopping to gab with each other, who do that.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:51 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,798,561 times
So what? This is what 2014 is all about. Where is "Imretirednow" when you need him...

Old 03-23-2014, 03:56 PM

775 posts, read 986,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Reading the post by Jrz, apparently the others walled themselves from her. What the hell is she supposed to do in that situation, sit there with her face hanging out like a tree branch? I did the same thing once at a good friends birthday dinner, and shockingly the world did not end, her head stayed attached to her body, and she still likes me. Not everyone is an extremist about not using a smartphone at all during a social setting like is being displayed on this thread.
Exactly. I understand being annoyed if someone is on their phone for long periods of time throughout the event but the whole idea that you aren't supposed to touch or look at your phone AT ALL until you're home is ridiculous. Jrz's friend sounds crazy getting offended at her looking at her phone while the friend is engaged in conversation not even trying to talk to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships