U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 PM

10,777 posts, read 7,983,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have an IPhone and would LOVE an app that did that...
You don't need an app. I have an iPhone and I have my default ringtone set to a silent one ("Crickets"). When I add someone to my contact list and I want to take their calls, I assign them an audible ringtone. Everybody not on my contact list, and everybody on my contact list but not assigned an audible ringtone, defaults to "Crickets".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 PM

174 posts, read 263,324 times
OP it's just the way some people are. They just can't be bothered to text, and your friend has clearly stated that to you. Accept him for who he is, flaws and all. It really isn't that big a deal these days.

It's actually good he treats everyone that way, because selective treatment would be the worst. I've known girls who are on their phones ALL the time, but like to selectively choose who to reply. See, that's truly a douche move - but if texting just isn't his thing, I think it's not too bad.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,951,874 times
Maybe he lost his fingers in a thumb-fighting accident. Stranger things have happened... ...

Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,206,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGal View Post
I have this friend who I have known for five years. When people text him, he rarely texts them back. People, including me, have things to tell him, or are trying to get a hold of him, or any number of things, and he point blank does not respond to them.

Sometimes he'll respond a couple of days later, or even a week later. But most of the time he just doesn't respond at all. I have confronted him about this, and he says that's just how he is. He is the same way with his own family. As a result, he has alienated most of the people from his life. The closest person to him is his girlfriend, who is very controlling and has him on a short leash.

When I first met him, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But over the years I have gotten so sick of his unresponsiveness that I simply don't reach out to him anymore, I just communicate through his girlfriend because I'm friends with her too.

I am thinking of cutting ties with him completely over this. When we do get together, he is pretty fun to be around, but it's like he has no commitment whatsoever to our friendship, or to any relationship in his life. It's really insulting.

I don't text anyone. And I don't text back. I find that feature to be annoying. Maybe he doesn't like texting.

Or, maybe, since he has a girlfriend; he's not responding out of respect for their relationship. You really don't need to be in constant contact with someone else's boyfriend, do you?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 AM

8,077 posts, read 13,388,432 times
it's interesting that this offends you....

I have friends that always text back, some that will eventually text back that week and others that
I rarely get a text back from...I don't assume anything..Maybe they are busy, forgot, don't prefer texting,
are in lots of meetings, dropped their phone in a toilet, are traveling.....

Some friends like to get together often, some rarely...it's all okay...

One friend I used to see a lot has been busy for months...Its okay..

You're being needy and high maintenance which is probably why this person is
avoiding you...

Just get busy with your on life, include this person occasionally in social plans and if they
want to be a friend they will ...

Old 03-30-2014, 05:05 PM

45 posts, read 48,403 times
I don't really like to text but I would not be impolite and not answer someone that texted me. To not answer, even if you don't like texting, shows either no manners, you are very selfish or both.

The same thing could be said for not answering the house phone, not answering e-mails, not answering the door bell, not answering a letter, or not answering someone when they talk to you.

Just because we live in a world with more advanced tech, it does not mean that manners went out the window.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:18 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,920,630 times
LOL!!! Most of my friends in my email lists do not like to email; I do. Most like to Facebook; I won't have anything to do with it. Most also like to text; I don't. Needless to say, there's not a lot of communication. If I want to meet up with one of them I usually end up calling.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM

128 posts, read 150,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010Guy View Post
I don't really like to text but I would not be impolite and not answer someone that texted me. To not answer, even if you don't like texting, shows either no manners, you are very selfish or both.

The same thing could be said for not answering the house phone, not answering e-mails, not answering the door bell, not answering a letter, or not answering someone when they talk to you.

Just because we live in a world with more advanced tech, it does not mean that manners went out the window.
Thank you. He is selfish and has no manners. I should have titled this thread "Friend who doesn't respond to anything" because like I said earlier, he does not respond to any outreaches by others. He really is a bad, selfish friend, in other words, not a friend at all.

I ran into his sister the other day and she started complaining about how she hasn't heard from her brother in forever. She expressed to me how frustrated she is that, despite the fact that she has a new baby (he is now an uncle), he still does not respond to her attempts to contact him and doesn't come to visit.

I do not understand how someone can be so self-centered that they downright ignore the people who are supposed to mean something to them. I personally think it's an act of hostility. I think ignoring people's outreaches is my (ex)friend's way of saying "*********" to other people. Why he feels the need to say *********, I don't know.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,433,033 times
I am so glad only family members have my cell number and know it is for emergencies only. Texting is by and large garbage. If it's important, it's important enough to call. If it's not important enough to call, send an email and I will respond when I get the chance to log in. Don't interrupt my day with a constant barrage of content-free speech. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,433,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGal View Post

I do not understand how someone can be so self-centered that they downright ignore the people who are supposed to mean something to them. I personally think it's an act of hostility. I think ignoring people's outreaches is my (ex)friend's way of saying "*********" to other people. Why he feels the need to say *********, I don't know.
Maybe he is tired of drama. Nahhhhhhh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships