U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find the opposite sex less interesting than your own sex?
yes 19 31.15%
no 32 52.46%
only if I'm not involved romanticaly with them 4 6.56%
it depends on the age group 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:00 PM

1,198 posts, read 957,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyOf5 View Post
maybe those folks marry more for looks-attraction and unfortunately that stuff wears off.
In the guys that I'm friends with it seems to be more of a settling issue. They're the type of people that are unable to be alone. One particularly got married because his wife was the first woman that ever gave him a chance. He's only 5'4" and he really struggled with dating over the years. When he hit 40, I think he just settled. I find his wife to be very nice, but she's from Columbia and they have very little in common. She has about a 5th grade education level, and he's a chemistry teacher. It's his own fault if he's bored IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 01:41 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,048,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Last night I overheard a conversation between 2 middle aged men talking about how uninteresting they feel most women are. One of the guys sounded like he was sorta joking, but the other guy was dead serious. He went on about how if you took sex out of the equation he wouldn't talk to any woman but his mother. Obviously this guy was bitter about something, but this isn't the first time I've heard a guy say that exact line. I can even say that several of my friends say that communicating with their wives about anything that interests them is like pulling teeth. If so many men feel like this, than you would have to think that lots of women find men incredibly uninteresting too.

Do you find the opposite sex less interesting than your own sex?
If you think objectively about the subject, men and women in most cases do not have that much in common with each other. Think of the typical interests men have, and compare them with the typical interests women have, they are more often than not, very different. Even having kids, seems to be an interest far more common with women, than men. Most men seem to go along with it, as part of what society expects of them.

Quote from movie actor Steve Guttenberg venting about women and explains that gay men have it made. He joked, "You're living the dream. Come over to the straight side and you'll shoot yourselves!"

Old 03-29-2014, 02:02 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,852,770 times
I generally prefer the company of men. It's not a physical attraction thing though, and I hope it isn't on their part.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:14 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,429,797 times
As a woman, I find men to be vastly more interesting than women. I have very little in common with most women and men are much more entertaining to converse with.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:51 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,319,586 times
There are boring people of both genders. I avoid them equally.

My husband is not interested in most of the things I do and I'm not very interested in his hobby (which is memorizing every detail about every gun ever made. I will go shooting with him but that's as far as my interest goes.) We still manage to find plenty of things to talk about and plenty of things to do together. He is very interested in our kids and everything they do, too. Being a good dad is important to him and he's dropped friends before because they were not good fathers to their kids. I think the stereotype of men not being interested in their kids has become less accurate in recent years.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:04 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,598,167 times
I'm a middle aged married female but I honestly find something interesting about ALL people - their sex isn't relevant at all. Male or female - I see differences in both and can find something to admire and/or talk about with either. Now, I do have a problem talking with younger folks (twenty somethings mostly) because I just really don't relate to so much of what they are interested in these days. People are people - why does everything have to fit in a box or have a label slapped on it?

Old 03-29-2014, 03:17 PM

5,505 posts, read 8,835,247 times
I work in an office full of women and it is very tiresome being around them. They all seem to have a lot to say about stuff I don't care about at all. If I am not involved with the woman then I really don't like being around them.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:23 PM

179 posts, read 186,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I work in an office full of women and it is very tiresome being around them. They all seem to have a lot to say about stuff I don't care about at all. If I am not involved with the woman then I really don't like being around them.
I've had the experience of being in a majority female workplace and I understand your pain, it looks good on paper but the reality is often not so great. I worked with younger girls at the time and I myself was younger too (20-22) and I remember all the weird social games they played and there was always a metaphorical "team" that they would try to persuade you into joining. The best thing was that they all secretly hated each other but for some reason felt comfortable confiding to me about this, fun times.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 PM

14,566 posts, read 8,394,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
There are boring people of both genders. I avoid them equally.

My husband is not interested in most of the things I do and I'm not very interested in his hobby (which is memorizing every detail about every gun ever made. I will go shooting with him but that's as far as my interest goes.)
I had to LOL on that, Hedgehog_Mom. My BIL is that same way. Zzzzzzzzzz. My husband's family is a shooting family. He taught me how to shoot, and I enjoy it. Whenever my husband's family and I go out and shoot, I'm prepared to hear a sermon from the BIL on the latest and greatest shotguns, rifles, and pistols. I have a couple of guns, and that's all I care to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't see any difference along a clear gender line. Some people are interesting and some are not.

I don't think a woman whose only interest is on-line shopping and the latest soap opera is much fun to hang out with. But I don't like spending time with a man who can only talk about his golf game and nothing else, either.

Someone who likes shopping might find that woman a great companion, and of course, another golfer might love to be buddies with the golf guy.

The entire opposite sex uninteresting? I suspect that there are some sort of personality flaws in people who believe that.
+1. Gender doesn't matter as much as whether the person is intelligent. I am a scientific sort, so I enjoy having discussions with other people about science, technology, and current events. A guy who says something like that sounds as if he's in the middle of a messy divorce.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,175,790 times
While there are boring people in both genders, for me personally I think most women tend to be more boring overall generally speaking despite the fact that I am more attracted to them. You don't really see a lot of women doing interesting things such as joining the military or peace corps, traveling to different countries on their own, inventing new stuff, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or