Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find the opposite sex less interesting than your own sex?
yes 19 31.15%
no 32 52.46%
only if I'm not involved romanticaly with them 4 6.56%
it depends on the age group 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Last night I overheard a conversation between 2 middle aged men talking about how uninteresting they feel most women are. One of the guys sounded like he was sorta joking, but the other guy was dead serious. He went on about how if you took sex out of the equation he wouldn't talk to any woman but his mother. Obviously this guy was bitter about something, but this isn't the first time I've heard a guy say that exact line. I can even say that several of my friends say that communicating with their wives about anything that interests them is like pulling teeth. If so many men feel like this, than you would have to think that lots of women find men incredibly uninteresting too.

Do you find the opposite sex less interesting than your own sex?
About the same (but in different contexts).

Men (same gender) are overall easier to talk to simply for the fact some women based upon their relationship / marriage status / age etc... will often times not talk to a man for any length of time about anything significant for reluctance / fear of disclosing anything too personal or convey undue attention which a man may misinterpret. This guardedness, in general, is a natural barrier but does not make them less interesting.

Women in certain environments are much more interesting due to providing a different gender perspective. Not that it is always different, but as a man, I find the more women one speaks to (larger universe of sample set) the more likely I'm able to identify those I will 'like'.

If women are talking mostly about their kids (in my age range many will have children) it usually is trying (like the middle age man's comment). In retrospect one should expect this based on station in life and that women are more focused on their 'nest', and 'nurturing' progress.

Men on the other hand, can be more interesting but as with all types some are only focused on a few things in life. Guys who talk about sports can be great to talk with or a total bore. There is no guarantee of interest even if the topics mesh. I generally find strident 'partisan type' sole focus related people, to be less interesting as a large amount seem less balanced (as in having a variety of topics to discuss, knowledge to share / impart etc..).

So as someone else alluded too, it really is all about the individual. I've known women in the work environment who were very interesting to speak with and get to know (interests et al). I think the reason some men make statements like those overhead is that they are only exposed to a certain cross section of the opposite gender based on their life style patterns.

I think the underlying difficulty occurs mainly in age ranges where the sexual interest will be more pronounced, as this adds a layer of complexity to the interpretation of communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times
Yes, I do. I love men. The great ones are really, really great - not even necessarily just in romantic relationships. I've had some amazing male professors and teachers, male classmates, and fleeting encounters with super cool dudes who I never got to know intimately.

Honestly, I get along much better with men than I do the average woman. The women I befriend tend to be androgynous or just not super feminine in their non-physical characteristics, which is odd since I'm so feminine.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 PM

543 posts, read 534,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
While there are boring people in both genders, for me personally I think most women tend to be more boring overall generally speaking despite the fact that I am more attracted to them. You don't really see a lot of women doing interesting things such as joining the military or peace corps, traveling to different countries on their own, inventing new stuff, etc.
Women seem to have much more vapid interests. History, technology, science, philosophy, politics? Not a lot of women in those areas.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
i don't make a distinction between genders in terms of whether they are interesting. I find men interesting and I find women interesting as well.

If a man finds a woman uninteresting, then I suspect they don't have a lot in common, and they probably don't need to be making a life together.

When I have conversations with others I try to be interesting myself. Who wants to talk to a bore?

Old 03-30-2014, 03:06 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't see any difference along a clear gender line. Some people are interesting and some are not.

I don't think a woman whose only interest is on-line shopping and the latest soap opera is much fun to hang out with. But I don't like spending time with a man who can only talk about his golf game and nothing else, either.

Someone who likes shopping might find that woman a great companion, and of course, another golfer might love to be buddies with the golf guy.

The entire opposite sex uninteresting? I suspect that there are some sort of personality flaws in people who believe that.
This, it's more about the individuals. I find a lot of stereotypical 'average guys' or girls dull, average people in other words, though.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
I find women very interesting and amusing.. i appreciate the little things in life..

however this is an intriguing subject if we start discussing gender interests..

i think there are definite regional distinctions..
i grew up in maine,,a rural state, - i had some great neighborhood friends (girls) growing up, they were very competitive , and did all the activities the boys did- fishing, hunting, (there fathers would take them hunting)
they liked camping, and could change the oil or a tire on a car-, this was the norm,,,the city girls would call them tomboys,,,but they grew up on farms, or in large families, where they grew there own veggies, and critters to eat.

when i was in college i saw many " girly girls from the city" I found them very amusing,,,we called them the "eww & ick" girls, they wanted to come fishing with us and wouldnt touch a worm, let alone a fish "too icky"
they wanted to come camping,,,but once the "outhouse" word was said, they didnt want to go..
they were totally against hunting and guns..even target practice...
the local girls were an enigma to them,,, how a girl could shoot a deer was so foreign to them, or throw a live lobster in a pot to cook.. or how they can use an axe to chop wood , and use a chainsaw..

and of course, we were hicks from maine,

our differences made for some healthy, amusing communications and trying to respect others...

there is quite a movement now to go back to farming, to grow your own fruits and veggies and critters..
to be more "organic"
many folks are moving to maine to do this...land is still cheap here and we have plenty of it..
to be more self-sufficient, women and men have to become more industrious (if they didnt grow up in farming)
cutting your own firwood, processing your own critters for food, canning veggies, and on and on,,,i think its a healthy movement.. and its great for the kids to learn all this- this breaks down gender lines- for necessitties or survival

Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Dammit! The title of your thread is the exact opposite of the question in your poll! I meant to post no, but posted yes.

People! Please proofread!
Did the same

Old 03-30-2014, 07:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Women seem to have much more vapid interests. History, technology, science, philosophy, politics? Not a lot of women in those areas.
true,,,i also havent met many women who like to play chess, or like cars, sports, the stock market, compared to men...
(although some do follow some sports)

Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
beauty fades. . . stupid lasts forever.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:49 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,215 times
That's an interesting question. My whole life I have always found women more interesting and attractive than men. When all the other women sit around drooling over "ripped" guys, I just roll my eyes. I have never looked at men like hunks of meat.

That being said, I am totally straight. Married for 18 years in July. I have never questioned my sexuality, and I have never been romantically attracted to a woman. I just happen to think women in general are more interesting and beautiful than men It could be because I was raised by a single mother along with a sister, so my exposure to men in my early years was very limited.

I have had some male friends in the past, but romantic attraction always gets in the way :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships