Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:05 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times

Advertisements

I can't bear these people, those ones who think they are the best, and that people who know your weak spots and take advante of it to look down on others, most of the time wihtout knowing them enough.

I find a lot of people like this in the last month, people obsessed especially with who had better marks at university, who has more money or who is more intelligent.

There is a girl in my bf's family who behaves this way ALL the time, everytime we see each other she repeats how intelligent, wonderful and efficient she is, sometimes looking down at others and talking too many stupid things, we have studied more or less the same, but she must have been one of the best in promotion (or that she says...) sometimes I think she tries to tease me, but I am the kind of person who say just the opposite as people would like to hear.

Another girl I know, she is kind with me and we were talking about that nowadays it is almost impossible to get a good and well paid job, but she told me that nobody hires her because she is too good for the job positions offered nowadays

To sum up, I don't know why people behave like this, I have always considered it rude and the wrong way to look polite... but it looks like in some social groups it is well considered.

What do you think about arrogant people? Is it better to be arrogant or humble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:12 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I can't bear these people, those ones who think they are the best, and that people who know your weak spots and take advante of it to look down on others, most of the time wihtout knowing them enough.

I find a lot of people like this in the last month, people obsessed especially with who had better marks at university, who has more money or who is more intelligent.

There is a girl in my bf's family who behaves this way ALL the time, everytime we see each other she repeats how intelligent, wonderful and efficient she is, sometimes looking down at others and talking too many stupid things, we have studied more or less the same, but she must have been one of the best in promotion (or that she says...) sometimes I think she tries to tease me, but I am the kind of person who say just the opposite as people would like to hear.

Another girl I know, she is kind with me and we were talking about that nowadays it is almost impossible to get a good and well paid job, but she told me that nobody hires her because she is too good for the job positions offered nowadays

To sum up, I don't know why people behave like this, I have always considered it rude and the wrong way to look polite... but it looks like in some social groups it is well considered.

I try not to think about arrogant people. A lot of it is just insecurity. They are probably trying to compensate for what they feel they lack. In my experience and from my realization, if you have to constantly say that you have a certain quality or are a certain way, you probably aren't.

No wonder I call myself crazy.

I don't really think this topic really belongs in romantic relationships, though.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I try not to think about arrogant people. A lot of it is just insecurity. They are probably trying to compensate for what they feel they lack. In my experience and from my realization, if you have to constantly say that you have a certain quality or are a certain way, you probably aren't.

No wonder I call myself crazy.

I don't really think this topic really belongs in romantic relationships, though.
Yes that is exactly what I think, they need to feel they are good at sometimes (or at everything) so they are constantly showing off.

About the thread, yeah maybe not relationships but psychology... but social relationships anyway.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Yes that is exactly what I think, they need to feel they are good at sometimes (or at everything) so they are constantly showing off.

About the thread, yeah maybe not relationships but psychology... but social relationships anyway.
It's all good, I like this topic anyway.

Even though this is not directly related to romantic relationships, things like this do happen in romance as well.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
What i hear is that you don't think very highly of yourself and allow others to take advantage of you.

Work on yourself.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:29 PM

678 posts, read 1,064,572 times
Arrogant people I don't mind so much because usually (in my personal experience) arrogant people can back up their arrogance. They are arrogant because they can do what they say they can do. However...narcissist I can't stand because they will do anything and everything to put people down and hold them down. As long as they don't see you as an equal nor a threat then you're okay (to them). However those are also the people with the lowest self-esteem and they are easy to defeat.

It sounds like the girl in your boyfriend's family is just pathetic. I mean that her self-esteem is so low that she has nothing to celebrate about herself so she projects how great her boyfriend is to brag about "who she has." My guess is that she has nothing that she's proud of because she's insecure.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
It's not always easy to be really really really ridiculously good looking and intelligent all the time!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,307 times
Quote:
Arrogant people are insecure. If you're truly confident and happy within yourself, you don't NEED to announce to the world how "awesome" you are. Trying to shove your accomplishments down other people's throats is just another way of screaming "I'm insecure".

A truly happy, content person has love for other people and wants what is best for everyone. Yes, they might enjoy their accomplishments, but they can validate themselves and aren't looking for other people's validation. They also aren't keen on putting other people down, because why would they if they're happy with themselves?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 PM

39,206 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:

I am with you on this one.

Arrogance is not false confidence per se, which can manifest in any number of ways, but it certainly is one way it may rear its head.

Real confidence does not try to prove.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
I agree that the example people in the OP just sound insecure. And Catbelle, i think you are insecure too, and that is why they bug you. If you were confident in yourself you would be feeling pity for them, and compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships