Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:25 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,842 times

Advertisements

Deleted due to trolls and people showing nothing but brash attitudes to a serious question. I love my parents. Thanks for assuming otherwise.

Last edited by TNGal78; 04-04-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Your kids so yes, you suck it up and find help. Your parents already raised their kids.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:37 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,100,245 times
You seem to assume it's an honor for the grandparents to watch your children, unpaid, I might add.
Your mom's hints add up to this: she's over it, and rightly so. Change your attitude about "outsiders" (whatever that means) and hire a sitter; yes, for pay.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:40 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Yes, I have, and grandpa is no longer watching them much anymore. I think a lot of grandparents like the ideal of it, but in reality, they tend to be tired with the whole kid-responsibility thing and it isn't what they envisioned. My FIL was 70 so he was just not capable physically of doing it (our boys are 1 and 3). That's fine, sometimes things change.

You might like the money and the schedule, but obviously it isn't going to work out. If you can't afford private care (isn't there after school care available?) then you might have to consider a full-time job in order to afford it.

She is probably "guilting you" because she realizes that she made a promise she can't keep, and doesn't want to ********* over for no childcare, but wants you to find an alternative. She's stuck in a hard place too.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Default No, I didn't.

deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
You seem to assume it's an honor for the grandparents to watch your children, unpaid, I might add.
Your mom's hints add up to this: she's over it, and rightly so. Change your attitude about "outsiders" (whatever that means) and hire a sitter; yes, for pay.

Last edited by TNGal78; 04-04-2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Default Suck it up...

deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Your kids so yes, you suck it up and find help. Your parents already raised their kids.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 PM

Default Thank you.

Thank you for a nice response. I also think they liked the "idea" of it. Reality has set in and they are too proud to say so. My oldest does not qualify for before and after school care, she is too old for the care offered in my area but my son does qualify. I will check into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Yes, I have, and grandpa is no longer watching them much anymore. I think a lot of grandparents like the ideal of it, but in reality, they tend to be tired with the whole kid-responsibility thing and it isn't what they envisioned. My FIL was 70 so he was just not capable physically of doing it (our boys are 1 and 3). That's fine, sometimes things change.

You might like the money and the schedule, but obviously it isn't going to work out. If you can't afford private care (isn't there after school care available?) then you might have to consider a full-time job in order to afford it.

She is probably "guilting you" because she realizes that she made a promise she can't keep, and doesn't want to ********* over for no childcare, but wants you to find an alternative. She's stuck in a hard place too.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
The trolls are alive and well, I see. Very brash considering I stated how much I love my parents and how it is a long standing family tradition that nobody hires sitters.
LOL at "trolls"....

Loving your parents has nothing to do with anything. And neither does "long standing tradition"

Your parents clearly are tired of watching your children. Your in-laws are not conveniently located and have other things that need to be the primary focus in their lives.

You asked a question and I answered it. Your children. YOURS. So yes, if your free childcare is not working out any longer, you need to seek alternatives. I don't know what else to say. If you were looking for someone to say that your parents are being selfish meanies and should suck it up and continue to watch your kids for free until you decide otherwise, well - you asked the wrong person.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Default Thank you.

deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Old 04-04-2014, 07:06 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
Perhaps there is a problem with your understanding of the term "troll."

A troll is not someone who doesn't give you the answer you want or validate your self absorption.

You are being selfish. Your parents are tired, or at least tired of providing constant free childcare for you. Take responsibility for your own life and your own children and make other arrangements. One suspects that the "longstanding tradition" aspect is only being emphasized in an effort to validate your selfishness. It means nothing. This is not about what you want or your convenience or whether you like your job or anything else related to you. It's about abusing your parents' goodwill and monopolizing their lives and their time. They have a right to live the life they want without the burden of raising your children, which is clearly not the great joy to them that you think it should be. The changes need to come from you, not your parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships