U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:30 AM

10 posts, read 6,493 times

Advertisements

She went behind my back and did it anyways. As i was getting ready for school(College), i received a phone call from her asking for my SS. I didn't know what she needed it for but she sounded like she was in a rush so i just gave it to her. But when she came home, she says so nonchalantly, "i needed your credit to keep the electricity on. You want to have lights,right? You live here don't you?" What a slap to the face. And my father just defends her, saying things like "You're selfish. You don't have no job and you never took out anything and yet you're worried about this". He's just really ignorant because , i just took out a loan to go to college because they wouldn't fork over one red dime.

Was I really being selfish? They didn't even want to talk to me about. They just went on ahead and did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,880,375 times
If they put a bill in your name that you didn't sign for, that is identity theft. You need to start looking into this. Then, if your parents won't resolve it, you need to file a police report. Otherwise you're going to turn around in a few years when you're trying to buy a house and find a ton of bad debts in your name.

You should move out of your parents' house as well if they are going to start pulling garbage like this. Parents who steal their kids' identity are the lowest of the low.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,731,127 times
If they had to use your credit and name for the electric, my guess is they didn't fork over any money for college because they didn't have any.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 AM

43,402 posts, read 52,384,520 times
Your parents suck.
They need to turn in their parent cards now.
And they are also criminals.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 AM

42,628 posts, read 44,063,703 times
Call the domestic relations on them.Search on the net Domestic Relations In your area.Yes it's identity theft.Do you have another place to live? Friends or family? Make sure you have all identifications...birth certificate, social security card, info on them-birthdate/social/maidenname/birthtown. A caseworker will be assigned to you.Good luck to you.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,617,525 times
Parents or not, they aren't trustworthy. Move out and transfer the electric service with you when you go. In the meanwhile, keep a close eye on the electric bill and make sure it gets paid. Obviously they aren't too good about paying bills, but it's YOUR credit that goes down the crapper if no one pays it. You also should check your credit periodically. If they did it once and aren't even apologetic about it, they'll do it again. Sorry, but people who do this are the lowest of low. Good for you for trying to rise above such crap parentage.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 AM

8,774 posts, read 5,604,284 times
Cancel the card, and any others you have in your name. Switch to other cards and never give your parents information again. Move out and live on your own... Or kick in.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 AM

6,133 posts, read 6,656,556 times
Call whoever it is you're supposed to call to let someone know your credit has fraudulently been used. I have no idea who it is because I don't know this stuff.

Get that bill out of your name and keep a close eye on your credit now.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,550,710 times
If you are ready to cut all ties with your parents you will turn them in to the authorities for identity theft. I think you are probably 18-19 and this may be hard to do but I worry about what they will do in the future since they have already done this once. Do they have Social Security numbers in UK like we have here and does the system work the same way? Am I wrong to assume your user name means you live in the UK? In any event it seems to me they will do it again and unless you protect yourself now you could be in a world of trouble.

I've heard of parents stealing identity of their children to get credit and it never is worked out positively for the child.

The answer to your question is--unless you have borrowed money from them, wracked up unnecessary expenses for which they were responsible, stolen from them in some way, etc. they are the selfish ones---not you.

Protect yourself and your future.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 AM

14,558 posts, read 8,380,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Your parents suck.
They need to turn in their parent cards now.
And they are also criminals.
OMG, OP. I feel so bad for you. My mother stole my identity when I was 11 YEARS OLD. This was before identity theft was widespread, and even before the existence of the internet. She used my SS# to put on the utilities in her name because she didn't pay her own bills. Of course, I didn't know anything about it. When I moved out of the house, I couldn't get the lights turned on in my name because my credit was already ruined. I knew right away that she was responsible. We were estranged by then, so I called all the utility companies and told them what my mother had done. After I proved my age at the time of the debt, they agreed not to hold me responsible for the monies and put a lien on her house. When she died 10 years ago, they collected the money from her estate. I suggest you prosecute, even though it's hard. If you don't, it will weaken your monetary case for identity theft, even though they are your parents. Bad credit is so hard to deal with in life, especially when you're just starting out. Believe me, I know what you're going through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or