U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM

14,995 posts, read 21,639,193 times

Advertisements

Totally unaware people are always like this, it has nothing to do with age. We teach our children to step to the side, not stand in a doorway etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:06 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,952,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Wyo, are you greeting people when you come into the room? Or walking in and just standing there behind them expecting them to have eyes in the back of their heads or read your mind and know you want to use the microwave? Do you expect someone who is in the middle of washing something in the sink to just drop what she's doing to make way for you? You can't wait your turn? When you need to get past someone in the store, don't you know how to say, "Excuse me?"
I am very much able to say excuse me. And I don't expect people to drop what they are doing and move for me. I am also very much able to wait my turn. My point is how is that people can not notice at all when somebody is even in the room? Why would you look surprised when somebody wants to use a microwave during their lunch break? And in general, why would you stand in a walkway or in front of things that you would logically assume people are going to use at certain times of the day? People sure do like to make ridiculous assumptions on this forum.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 14,221,785 times
Sorry, totally not age related. Go watch all clueless folks standing in everyone's way while they text or play games on their devices. Watch families with kids block entire aisles at stores and restaurants, groups of teens or pre-teens all up in the way horsing around in public spaces. Etc. etc. Pushed my own (adult) kids out of an older couples way at the store the other day because they were blocking the whole freezer aisle trying to decide what they wanted to get for supper, oblivious to everyone else!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM

87,925 posts, read 3,658,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
So I've noticed this recently and I have to comment on it. I have seen quite a few middle aged adults who seem to be totally unaware of their surroundings. They don't seem to notice people around them or how to behave in a room with several people.

Examples:

1) In my church I can't count how many times I have seen people walk into the building and just stop right in the middle of the hallway and start talking to people. They do it almost every Sunday and even if there is a potluck and someone is carrying a crockpot. They just stop walking wherever they are.

2) In the break room at work one of my coworkers (during lunch hour mind you) stood in front of the Keurig machine and blocked a microwave. She stood there humming to herself and looked surprised when I wanted to use the microwave during my lunch break and seemed to have no idea anyone was in the room besides her.

3) Another coworker in the break room stood at the sink for a good three minutes washing a cake pan and was completely unaware that I was waiting to use the sink. Not once in that time did she even notice someone was in the room.

4) Also in the break room (Noticing a pattern here?) I was standing by the microwave and was the only one in the room. A coworker actually asked what I was doing there. Did she forget where she was and what people do in the break room?

5) In general, people at places like Walmart who walk slower than a snail's pace down the aisle when there are people waiting for them.

At what age do people lose this awareness of their surroundings? Do people need to announce their presence anytime they enter a room? Am I missing something?
I've seen these things as well but it has nothing to do with age. I've been blocked by 25 year olds who suddenly stopped to carry on a conversation in the hallway, or 30 year olds who space out while washing out a dish. It happens. You'll encounter it your entire life.

Now about the people at Walmart....that's another issue entirely!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,952,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
I've seen these things as well but it has nothing to do with age. I've been blocked by 25 year olds who suddenly stopped to carry on a conversation in the hallway, or 30 year olds who space out while washing out a dish. It happens. You'll encounter it your entire life.

Now about the people at Walmart....that's another issue entirely!
I seem to have noticed it more with middle aged people lately, but you are right that younger people do this as well. I just seem to have noticed it more lately.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,270,580 times
It's not just middle-aged people. I notice people of almost all ages getting in the way while looking down at their phone and texting, or having a loud phone conversation in an inappropriate place or on an inappropriate subject.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 PM

127 posts, read 207,640 times
Fluoride in drinking water

Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,002,327 times
Quote:
There's no excuse for not being focused on what's going on around you. I never said people were being intentionally inconsiderate or rude, I just think it's a bit ridiculous to not pay attention to what is going on around you. How do these people drive if they don't pay any attention? That seems a bit dangerous. As far as the conversation at church, how hard is it to move out of a walkway? It doesn't take that much effort.

I'm also not "fuming mad." My point is being aware of things going on around you. It's not that hard to pay attention.
Some people just aren't focused. That's that. There's really nothing anybody can do to change that. There are people who will put out in front of you driving, will drive well below the speed or well above the speed limit, and drift into other lanes without being aware that they are doing so. That is unfortunately an aspect of driving and why defensive driving is so important. We are not robots. Some people mindlessly do things that they are unaware are having an effect on others. Just remember that it's not a personal attack directed to you, it's about them. The best thing to do is to be straightforward instead of wondering why people are so unfocused if it truly bothers you that much.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,016,566 times
Sometimes people are lost in their own thoughts, but it sounds to me like the OP is just passive aggressive. You seriously stood there for three minutes waiting for someone to notice you without you just saying "hi!" or "excuse me, mind if I use the sink real quick?"

Old 04-06-2014, 08:31 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,462,523 times
Quote:
I am very much able to say excuse me. And I don't expect people to drop what they are doing and move for me. I am also very much able to wait my turn. My point is how is that people can not notice at all when somebody is even in the room? Why would you look surprised when somebody wants to use a microwave during their lunch break? And in general, why would you stand in a walkway or in front of things that you would logically assume people are going to use at certain times of the day? People sure do like to make ridiculous assumptions on this forum.
If anyone is making ridiculous assumptions, it's you. As in, you assume people should just be aware of you. Well, I don't see Moses up in here, where people are supposed to part like the Red Sea before you.

Sometimes people have a lot on their minds. You don't know what crosses they bear, or what may be going on in their lives. Maybe they have a sick kid, or financial problems, or are going through a divorce, or simply aren't feeling well. Or maybe they're lost in thought about their work.

Patience is a virtue. Develop some. Try some compassion, too. And announce yourself to people whose backs are turned to you when you come up behind them. That is the polite thing to do, instead of standing there glaring at them. That's actually pretty creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or