Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 11:25 AM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Bingo!
I disagree with the OP's belief that this type of behavior is age-related, but I do agree with the OP that it is surely annoying.

Almost every time that I go to the supermarket, I will have to wait while somebody in front of me halts in the middle of the narrow entryway of the store. Are they so... overcome... with the... grandeur... of the store that they have to immediately stop in order to be able to mentally process the overwhelming beauty?

A few days ago, I was in the local World Market in order to get some of their imported groceries. The aisles in the food section are incredibly narrow, so I always leave my shopping cart elsewhere and peruse those skimpy spaces w/o the cart. In one of the aisles, I encountered a mother (apparently middle-aged) and daughter (late teens, probably) who seemed to have set a goal of impeding/blocking everyone else who wanted to look at items in those narrow aisles. I moved to their left, and they did the same. I moved to the right, and they did likewise. I finally said, "Would you be so kind as to allow me to get past you?", and they seemed to not even be aware of my presence at that point. And, no, I do not believe that they were both deaf, based on how they were speaking to each other.

Some people--regardless of age--seem to be totally unaware of what is taking place around them.
Yeah, unlike the OP, I'm more inclined to blame that type of incident on the teen/s involved. But then, that would be unfair to the mature, thoughtful teens. Still...

On the other hand, I'm sure all of us have had a moment or two, in which we've been temporarily distracted, and blocked someone's way. Maybe there was a new product on the store shelf that caught our eye, and we stopped to examine it, or whatever. I remember once, coming out of a grocery store, going out the "in" door for some reason, and being overcome by the breathtaking sunset that greeted my eyes as I passed through. Did I cause anyone some inconvenience, as I took in the inspiring sight? I have no idea. . So shoot me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:39 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Have you guys been to Costco lately?

Seems like retired people come their to spend their day eating free samples, and block the aisles.

And then when I have to say, "Excuse me" so I can get by, they look at me like I'm some jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Costco was the first place that popped into mind when reading the thread title. Grocery stores are all pretty bad when it comes to dealing with people who are completely oblivious to their surroundings around but if you add free samples and big carts to the equation it becomes extreme.
In the Costco nearest to me, it isn't old people who are blocking the aisles. I've seen people who bring their entire extended family with them when they shop. They all walk slowly and often stop in the middle of the aisle to have a conversation. Also, they are oblivious to the fact that there are people who also want to be in that aisle. When I say "excuse me", I either get a blank look in return or they looked shocked because it never occurs to them that they aren't the only ones in the place.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I think the carts are bigger and the aisles are narrower. I don't recall ever being as frustrated as I am currently with people blocking the way in the grocery store. It's not old people, in my observation, or teenagers. It's just people sharing the same aisle with a cart. And we're all having to stand there and compare sodium levels in soup or look for regular honey bunches of oats on display with the 6 different varieties of that cereal, and we just want the original.

I really think grocery shopping used to be more mindless. Pork chops. Rice. Corn Flakes. Milk. Uncle Ben's wild rice. Head of lettuce. You didn't have to stand there so long and focus on what you're trying to buy.

Jerry Seinfeld on Grocery Stores - funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOmSQfYB1iE

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-25-2018 at 06:33 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 07:28 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think the carts are bigger and the aisles are narrower. I don't recall ever being as frustrated as I am currently with people blocking the way in the grocery store. It's not old people, in my observation, or teenagers. It's just people sharing the same aisle with a cart. And we're all having to stand there and compare sodium levels in soup or look for regular honey bunches of oats on display with the 6 different varieties of that cereal, and we just want the original.

I really think grocery shopping used to be more mindless. Pork chops. Rice. Corn Flakes. Milk. Uncle Ben's wild rice. Head of lettuce. You didn't have to stand there so long and focus on what you're trying to buy.

Jerry Seinfeld on Grocery Stores - funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOmSQfYB1iE
HAHAHA, that is so true. We used to just buy orange juice and not worry about pulp/no pulp/calcium added/50% sugar...

No tuna in water, no 1% or 2% milk, no low-fat salad dressing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships