Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:28 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

My daughter, now an adult, remembers me telling her all the time when she was a kid, "Be aware of your surroundings." In college, she said, "Mom, I remember you telling me that and I am just amazed at how many people are NOT aware of their surroundings."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 04:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
IDK why the OP thought this was an issue caused only by "middle-aged" adults, however he defines that. I often see a small cluster of teens or 20-somethings blocking the doorway in or out of a store, while they chat away. It forces others to bust through their roadblock, or move on to another store. Why aren't the employees making sure customers can enter? Clueless people come in all ages.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:41 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
People are dumb.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:43 PM

Yes, these are individual habits, not confined to or associated with any one age group.

I can think of one exception. In NJ, and probably everywhere else now, it's illegal to pass a school bus once it puts on red lights and the little stop sign extends out on the road side. Good law. Prevents kids from getting run over.

However, I see all the time, especially with the teenagers, that they just dawdle, shuffling slowly up in the line, reluctantly heaving themselves up the steps. KIDS! The rest of us can't go anywhere till you get your ass on that bus! You are holding up traffic and don't even seem to know it!

I am not sure they are aware, but shouldn't their parents instruct them to get to steppin' up on that bus as quickly as possible so that everyone else can go where they need to go? Can't the bus drivers tell them to get a move on?

Old 03-21-2018, 09:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
When someone is in the twilight zone, possessing no situational awareness and blocking the way I tell them they have a huge spider on their back.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:32 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
And then when I have to say, "Excuse me" so I can get by, they look at me like I'm some jerk.
This is my experience and pet peeve. There are a few who say "sorry" and move aside, but so many others look annoyed and act like how dare I have the audacity to request such an accommodation. Even though they are clearly blocking the aisle or walkway.

In addition to not paying attention, I've lost count of the number of times that people blocking a hallway at work with their conversation actually LOOK RIGHT AT ME as I am approaching and don't make any effort to move. Then look annoyed or surprised when I say "Excuse me" and cut between them (which is usually where the most space is, these are not extra wide hallways) with barely a pause in my step. Come on, you saw me coming from a reasonable distance and still chose to keep your blockade position, and I'm supposed to defer to that like some mousy apologetic wallflower? Or maybe leap over you, or transform myself into a ghost to slip through?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:42 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I am very much able to say excuse me. And I don't expect people to drop what they are doing and move for me. I am also very much able to wait my turn. My point is how is that people can not notice at all when somebody is even in the room? Why would you look surprised when somebody wants to use a microwave during their lunch break? And in general, why would you stand in a walkway or in front of things that you would logically assume people are going to use at certain times of the day? People sure do like to make ridiculous assumptions on this forum.

You made the first ridiculous assumption by stating somehow the lack of awareness is unique to one demographic

Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
This is my experience and pet peeve. There are a few who say "sorry" and move aside, but so many others look annoyed and act like how dare I have the audacity to request such an accommodation. Even though they are clearly blocking the aisle or walkway.

In addition to not paying attention, I've lost count of the number of times that people blocking a hallway at work with their conversation actually LOOK RIGHT AT ME as I am approaching and don't make any effort to move. Then look annoyed or surprised when I say "Excuse me" and cut between them (which is usually where the most space is, these are not extra wide hallways) with barely a pause in my step. Come on, you saw me coming from a reasonable distance and still chose to keep your blockade position, and I'm supposed to defer to that like some mousy apologetic wallflower? Or maybe leap over you, or transform myself into a ghost to slip through?
I've experienced that on sidewalks; 3 teens or college students walking side by side, blocking the entire sidewalk, as they chat while walking. I have, on occasion, taken a "damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" approach to this, saying loudly, "Excuse me, coming through! This is a public thoroughfare you're obstructing". I don't care if they get mad, as if the rest of us don't have a right to the sidewalk. WTH?!

Old 03-22-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
When someone is in the twilight zone, possessing no situational awareness and blocking the way I tell them they have a huge spider on their back.

Love it.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:39 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've experienced that on sidewalks; 3 teens or college students walking side by side, blocking the entire sidewalk, as they chat while walking. I have, on occasion, taken a "damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" approach to this, saying loudly, "Excuse me, coming through! This is a public thoroughfare you're obstructing". I don't care if they get mad, as if the rest of us don't have a right to the sidewalk. WTH?!

Then you might have one of them post on cd about how older adults, seniors or boomers always seem to be rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships