Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a family of huggers and even a kiss on the cheek. Hubby was raised in a no-touching family. We have three grown children and over the years I have watched my husband change from a standing stiff as a board when hugged by my family and our kids to a more relaxed hugger. LOL

Even now when our children stop by we get and give a hug and kiss from our son and daughters and always I love you mom, I love you dad. Our teenage grandchild was raised a hugger too and when he visits I always get plenty of hugs and I love you MawMaw, same thing to his PawPaw. There is no strings attached to this show of affection, no sexual innuendos, just love and happy to see you. It makes one's heart feel good inside.

Our family doesn't run around hugging perverts or strangers in the mall but we do show our love and affection for each other and our family members by the simple hugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alppiano View Post
I was watching one of my nephews the other day, he's 4 years old. My brother arrived with him, he started running and jumped to my father's lap to greet him. My father was clearly uncomfortable, which is not surprising knowing him.
Grandpa was uncomfortable? Because his grandson jumped into his lap? Poor little kid. Stuck with an uptight grandpa who is missing out on the good stuff.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM

60 posts, read 54,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
That's a very smart decision to make if you absolutely know that you do not want children
I absolutely know that I shouldn't have children, even though I want them. It's not the same thing.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:17 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alppiano View Post
I absolutely know that I shouldn't have children, even though I want them. It's not the same thing.
Why are you selling yourself short? I think the reason you're afraid is because of your upbringing, not because you're afraid of loosing freedom. We get to a point in life where all that going out never changes. You said yourself that you don't go out that often so if you get married and have a child, you can leave your baby with the grandparents for a sleepover. My husband and I did that and still do that from time to time. It's about changing your priorities. Your brother has broken that no-affection cycle. You can too.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Why are you selling yourself short? I think the reason you're afraid is because of your upbringing, not because you're afraid of loosing freedom. We get to a point in life where all that going out never changes. You said yourself that you don't go out that often so if you get married and have a child, you can leave your baby with the grandparents for a sleepover. My husband and I did that and still do that from time to time. It's about changing your priorities. Your brother has broken that no-affection cycle. You can too.
Yeah, I don't get that, either. You go through ONE time in life (most likely). If you sit frozen throughout your one life, that's it. It was your one chance to live and you chose to just sit there.

Not saying OP should have kids (at least until after some big changes) - but to sit and watch the "love of your life" get married to someone else, because you are afraid to have a life - that's sad.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:28 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm not advocating the denial of a hug to a child. I'm advocating the right of the grandfather to not be forced into a situation he is not comfortable with. Some dony like being touched like that and that view should be respected.
It's tricky, given that 4 year olds don't have much of a sense of personal space. Yet I think there's also an appropriate age to teach children that other people have boundaries and personal space and may not like being touched.

I'm not a touchy-feeling person. I don't like being touched randomly, even by people I know. I DREAD the Passing of the Peace at church and how it gives complete strangers license to come and hug me. (I usually take a well timed bathroom break to avoid the nonconsensual hug fest).

I'm pretty affectionate with my SO. I'll briefly hug my parents (they're not really buggy-bear type people either).

And I don't think I'm a broken human being. There's a lot of ways to show affection and love. Touching is just one of them.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:00 PM

60 posts, read 54,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Grandpa was uncomfortable? Because his grandson jumped into his lap? Poor little kid. Stuck with an uptight grandpa who is missing out on the good stuff.
My father grew up in the late 40s/50s. He won't change, he's very reserved by nature.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 PM

483 posts, read 670,386 times
Your culture is clearly different than mine. People show affection in many different ways. Maybe a talk on how to respect grandpa's feelings and to recognize body language?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't have kids and I'm childfree. I don't run across many 4 year olds but I just don't like random people touching me every which a way including kids. I will say it again, I think the grandpa has a right to personal space and it is the grandpas responsibility to tell the 4 year old that he is not comfortable with hugging and the uncle should stay out of it.
It's VERY obvious that have ZERO experience with children. Telling a 4 year old not to do something is like talking to spaghetti. You get the same result.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It's VERY obvious that have ZERO experience with children. Telling a 4 year old not to do something is like talking to spaghetti. You get the same result.
Sounds like bad parenting. I tell my 2 year old nephew not to do stuff, and he listens. Hell, I can tell my puppy "no" or "stop", and it stops.

This idea that kids get to do whatever they want to whomever they want, just because they are young is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships