Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:00 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Facebook and LinkedIn both have such disclaimers before "connecting" with people. It seems like these two social networking tools want us to only be "social" with people we already know, and are likely social with without being involved in "social." I always thought the meaning of social meant getting out there and getting to know people - rather than staying within the "walled garden" of people you already know. I like to meet new people based on similar interests, and if someone doesn't the connection, they can simply decline it.

Do you think the title of the thread should be the way people approach social networking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:04 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
I only connect with people I already know and with 300+ FB friends, I feel plenty social. I don't need to get to know strangers on the internet.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Everyone on my Facebook are people I know in real life.
I am also very social, as apexgds mentions above.

I see no need to have strangers as Facebook friends; I am not LinkedIn.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Facebook and LinkedIn both have such disclaimers before "connecting" with people. It seems like these two social networking tools want us to only be "social" with people we already know, and are likely social with without being involved in "social." I always thought the meaning of social meant getting out there and getting to know people - rather than staying within the "walled garden" of people you already know. I like to meet new people based on similar interests, and if someone doesn't the connection, they can simply decline it.

Do you think the title of the thread should be the way people approach social networking?
That's the purpose of both sites, to connect with people you already know or introduced to new people by people you already know.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
LinkedIn is especially bad. Because you have everyone on the planet seeing you as a sales target. The last guy I allowed to link to me was someone who was a connection through someone else, who then hounded me to help out on his MLM scheme. I mean, between the time I linked to him and the next time I checked my account, I have FIVE e-mails from the guy.

I mean, dude, did you not read my profile? I work with clients all over the country, and you want me to peddle your crap? I wrote a blistering reply back and then dropped him like a hot potato.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
I don't use LinkedIn and I have 51 FB friends so they are all friends and relatives. I thought FB was primarily to connect with those people you know, or used to know (i.e. high school, your old Scout troop), not to "meet" complete strangers.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 AM

185 posts, read 242,007 times
Facebook for me has just really become a confirmation that I'm not dead yet and that most of the people I went to school with aren't dead either and also might have children now. I rarely get on LinkedIn but I have a pretty decent gig right now and am not on the job prowl like I was a couple years ago.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
LinkedIn is especially bad. Because you have everyone on the planet seeing you as a sales target. The last guy I allowed to link to me was someone who was a connection through someone else, who then hounded me to help out on his MLM scheme. I mean, between the time I linked to him and the next time I checked my account, I have FIVE e-mails from the guy.

I mean, dude, did you not read my profile? I work with clients all over the country, and you want me to peddle your crap? I wrote a blistering reply back and then dropped him like a hot potato.
I have about 700 LinkedIn connections, many of whom I do not know personally, but are people who worked at the same places, people where I've lived, people in the industry, or other people I have something in common with. I am a LION (LinkedIn Open Networker) and am always adding more connections. I only get a couple of spam mails per week.

I only add close friends and family to Facebook currently, but I have accepted adds from many strangers in the past. Nothing bad ever came of it.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post

I only have 20 Facebook friends. Those are the people I know. I don't add people I do not know.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:10 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,681,355 times
I think one may do as he/she likes: personally, I have some strangers on my Facebook, but I think Facebook is for people that you know. You can chat with strangers with your similar interests with sites like Omegle (Text) and Experience Project, as well as public forums (like this one, of course). Maybe even Twitter. I don't think Facebook is a good site for chatting with strangers, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships