U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
55 posts, read 103,843 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Yes...the lady is nuts. Tell her to take her meds and stop watching her garbage so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
55 posts, read 103,843 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
First world problems... Better in the trash can then left on the street.
Eggg-zackly! Jeesh! Sommmme people, I tell ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
55 posts, read 103,843 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't care what anyone else puts in our can, or when. We have a dog and 3 cats who use a litter box, so our can smells like **** all the time anyway.
...I swear...you all are making my damned day! I swear! These posts are a f**king riot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
55 posts, read 103,843 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In the crazy lady's defense, our trash guys come at all weird times, and it's usually when I'm at work (and I suppose crazy lady is too). I can't drag my empty cans back up the driveway until I get home, often after 6:30. So they are out there most of the day, where, I guess people might deposit their poo bags. But since I have cats and dogs like Marlow, so I kind of expect that the inside of the trash can isn't gonna smell like roses.
But wait T.S...this isn't like the olden days where people had either those silver metal trash cans that were heavy as all get out or the plastic one's with NO wheels...but wait...there used to be a time when the trash men used to have to do all the lugging from the backyard to the front and back again...my times have changed. We got WHEELS now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
55 posts, read 103,843 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
IMO, it is rude to put trash into other people's trash cans. When it is your baby or your dog, the smell doesn't bother you as much. If it is someone else's baby or dog, it smells worse.

I pick up after my dog when we are walking. If I find a public trash can, I'll throw the bag in there. If not, I carry it home. If we have driven someplace like a park and we don't see a public trashcan, then I put it in my car and dispose of it at home. To do otherwise would be imposing on someone else.
A trash can IS a trash can. I'd much rather someone dumped it in my can than in my yard! Or in the street! I can't tell you how many glass bottles I have run over either dropped next to a curb or left right in the da*mned street! That unmistakable pop that goes off when you know you've just run over a freaking bottle... Makes you just want to strangle somebody!

But getting to the smells emitting from your trash can...you mean to tell me that you can distinguish your baby's and dog poop from someone else's? Poop to me is poop--no matter who's poop it is and or who's body it eliminated from. But again, I'd much rather it get properly disposed of than for it to be littering up my street because guess what...it's all going to the same stinky place, from the same stinky truck no matter what and regardless. With all that being said...I will however tell you what I would have a problem going in my trash can. My neighbor's trash--because he or she is too cheap to pay for theirs to be picked up and hauled away on garbage day and they dump their garbage in my can. Now, that I would have a serious problem with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 02:47 PM
 
1,731 posts, read 872,018 times
Reputation: 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would have just assumed everybody has common sense and not breath in when opening a trash can. People throw all sorts of stinky stuff in there and the trash cans are outside. Not in the garage.

Wow, you can really make a huge shyte out of nothing. If you get so worked up about a doggy poop bag, I wonder how you deal with real problems.

Newsflash - Trash cans are smelly and dirty because they are TRASH CANS. You act like you live in your trash can or eat out of it.
well i deleted my post because i felt what i said was already said by others a few times so i didn't really need to put my two cents in. but since you have quoted and singled me out, i will respond to you.

at the end of my post i said that i don't get mad or crazy about it, but it is irritating to me. i am not the only one who is irritated by it apparently because i am not the only one who said the same things that i said.

where did i say that i open my trash can and take a good whiff inside? poop stinks. i can hold my breath, but that's not the point. i am not making a big deal out of this. i act like i live in my trash can or eat out of it? wow...weird. making huge shyte out of nothing and getting all worked up? it always cracks me up when people say stuff like this on an internet forum. i was responding to a question in a thread on a public internet forum. i have had people put their dog crap in my trash cans and it is irritating. the end. i haven't ran out there and tracked them down yelling at them. i haven't had this conversation with anyone ever in my life until right now today.

and newsflash...some people do keep their trash cans in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
16,874 posts, read 17,190,006 times
Reputation: 40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If it is before the trash is picked up on trash pick-up day I don't think that it is a problem.

But, if the trash was already collected take your dirty diaper, dog poop and other trash home with you and put it in your trash can.

Some people can be pretty funny about dirty diapers. We once had friends, with young children of their own, ask us to take our baby's dirty diaper out to our car and take it home with us rather than use their trash can. This happened when we invited to dinner at their house. The dirty diaper was wrapped in several layers of plastic but they still didn't want it in their trash can.

Frankly, we thought that was pretty rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPlanes View Post
Really? Well if it was really as tightly wrapped and odorless as you say, then it shouldn't have been a problem taking it home in your car.
Nope, it didn't smell and we took it home with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just did some self-examination to see how I'd feel about that one. First, I must say that I'm not a parent, and I'm not really into babies. So most of the time I've had friends over who happened to be parents of babies, it was without them bringing the baby. Not because I un-invited the baby, but because it's pretty much known that socializing with me is not a kid-related get-together. It's wine, grown-up jokes, good food, and mixed drinks.

But if someone changed their poopy diaper in my house and threw it in my trash (indoor trash can), I probably wouldn't say anything (as you said, you'd consider your host rude). But I'd definitely be bothered by it, and I might vent about it to someone else, or anonymously online. To those of us who aren't "baby people" that stuff smells revolting, and even if it's wrapped up and pushed down into my indoor trash can, I'm going to start getting a "whiff" of it. If they carried it out to my outdoor trash cans, I'd be totally fine with that. I guess I'd hope that the person with the poopy diaper would be the one to bring up taking it out of the house. I think the only somewhat equivalent thing for me would be if I take my dog to someone's house, and he poops in their back yard, I pick it up, tie it up in a bag, and ask if I can put it in their outdoor trash. they usually are fine with that, or even say I don't have to pick it up, they'll get it later, etc, but I make a big deal about my responsibility for picking it up and asking about the trash can. I'd expect the same kind of obsequiousness from someone whose baby poops at my house. "Oh god, I'm so sorry, etc"

I guess I'm glad this diaper thing never happened to me but I wanted to figure out how I'd react.
Perhaps, I should explain more about the situation.

We were visiting a couple that had two young children of their own BOTH STILL IN DIAPERS at the time.

We were at their house mainly for adult dinner/conversation and, to a much, much lesser degree, for our children to play together before they fell asleep. I changed our baby's diaper in their bathroom and asked where to put the double wrapped diaper. We were expecting to be told to put it outside in their garbage can or maybe they had a Diaper Genie or a special trash can for diapers. But no, we asked to take it home with us.

What was so puzzling (which I probably should have made clear in my first post) was that they had two children who were not toilet trained. The wife acted like she was horrified that our six month old baby had the audacity to have a bowel movement in her house. And, it wasn't even a "blow-out" or particularly smelly BM.

Maybe their two children, age 1 and 3, only had dirty diapers at Grandma's house or at the day care center?
Or maybe because they had two children in diapers one more diaper was "the straw that broke the camels back"?
Or maybe their children never pooped or pooped in the toilet even though they wore diapers?
(I doubt all of those things because they had left diapers, wrapped in plastic bags, at our house during the times that we hosted dinner at our place in the previous years).

We never really found out because we stopped socializing shortly after that incident.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-11-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 PM
 
1,731 posts, read 872,018 times
Reputation: 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by McaVacationDivas View Post
But wait T.S...this isn't like the olden days where people had either those silver metal trash cans that were heavy as all get out or the plastic one's with NO wheels...but wait...there used to be a time when the trash men used to have to do all the lugging from the backyard to the front and back again...my times have changed. We got WHEELS now!!
our neighborhood still had regular old trash cans up until about 3 years ago. the poor trash man had to physically pick up and dump every single trash can into the truck. i mean cans with lids that you lift off and no wheels on the cans. we had to drag them out to the curb. yes, we finally have wheels now and he drives in an automated truck that has an arm that picks up the cans. but i think that if we finally got this point only recently, there are probably other neighborhoods out there who are still doing it manually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
16,874 posts, read 17,190,006 times
Reputation: 40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post

and newsflash...some people do keep their trash cans in the garage.
At our condo complex we are required to keep our garbage cans in our garage until after 9 PM on the night before garbage pick-up and they need to be returned to the garage as soon as is possible after collection (ie. as soon as you return home from work).

Although, I haven't done a survey or anything, I suspect that a lot of newer houses have larger garages allowing the garbage cans to be stored inside and away from raccoons, bees & other pests and the wind & snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 PM
 
3,574 posts, read 3,135,497 times
Reputation: 10674
Quote:
Originally Posted by McaVacationDivas View Post
A trash can IS a trash can. I'd much rather someone dumped it in my can than in my yard! Or in the street! I can't tell you how many glass bottles I have run over either dropped next to a curb or left right in the da*mned street! That unmistakable pop that goes off when you know you've just run over a freaking bottle... Makes you just want to strangle somebody!

But getting to the smells emitting from your trash can...you mean to tell me that you can distinguish your baby's and dog poop from someone else's? Poop to me is poop--no matter who's poop it is and or who's body it eliminated from. But again, I'd much rather it get properly disposed of than for it to be littering up my street because guess what...it's all going to the same stinky place, from the same stinky truck no matter what and regardless. With all that being said...I will however tell you what I would have a problem going in my trash can. My neighbor's trash--because he or she is too cheap to pay for theirs to be picked up and hauled away on garbage day and they dump their garbage in my can. Now, that I would have a serious problem with!
Not to be gross about it, but when you are responsible for the poop of a baby or dog, you get used to it. When you are handed another baby or dog, you find they eat different things and it's different. My dog's poop bag has gotten stuck to the bottom of the trash can before. It was gross for me to get it out. I dealt with it because it is my dog. I absolutely do not want to deal with another dog's mess. If asked, I would provide a better method of disposal so I wasn't cleaning it up again later

My kids are older now, but when they were little, we were sent home with dirty diapers. It was considered "solid waste". The doctor dug it out of the trash can and sent it home with us wrapped in plastic.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 04-11-2014 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: double words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top