Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:25 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times

Advertisements

I have put trash in other people's cans BUT I have always known them and asked. It only happened a few times when I was selling a house and had extra stuff that didn't fit into my own bins.

Presumably, anybody walking their dog near her house is a neighbor so why not ask if it's okay or carry it to their own trash can? Yes, it is nice that they clean up after their own dogs but that's not the point.

It's her town assigned trash can and she doesn't like it even to post on the town's FB page. In a small suburban town, I'd guess a good percentage of people NOW know this is a problem for her so they should not do it.

I honestly don't know if anybody puts trash in my trash can when it's on the curb. I wouldn't care about it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I don't like it. I don't understand why people can't find a trashcan and throw their trash away. It's the same thing with cigarette butts in a really dry climate. Get an ashtray!

Old 04-12-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I do remember having a neighbor when I was a kid who would always be out there cleaning out his trash cans with the hose and soap and rags. Of course this was the 70s when we all had metal trash cans that cost more and were less disposable than the plastic ones we have now. But he was a weird old man, and even my parents and the other parents would make fun of him for cleaning the inside of the trash cans. The most my dad would do is pour a little bleach in the bottom, swish it around, and let it dry in the sun. But no sticking your arm in there! Ew!
I clean out my trash can and recycle bin about twice a year. They never have diapers or pet poop in them, but my kids or the neighbor's kids often throw in cups with some kind of sticky beverages in them. I don't put my hand in there though. I have a pressure washer and an outdoor long-handled broom, if needed. However, I don't think it would bother me. I have some long armed gloves if I needed to touch something gross.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:16 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Seriously...its trash people!!! Some people just find any reason to be pissed off.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:16 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Seriously...its trash people!!! Some people just find any reason to be pissed off.
You do realize wildlife keep eating trash and dying, right? Whales, birds, squirrels, etc. Don't you care about our planet at all?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:23 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Are we talking a stray Burger King cup? Or large bags of trash?

Just as importantly, what if you're in a sketchy neighborhood and someone is using your can to toss out contraband? It happens, you know.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
I wouldn't dream of putting my trash, and especially my doggie poop, in someone else's trash container, or any container. It's not in my realm of comprehension.

I would take it home or to some kind of public utility or just plain live with it until I could get it to a personal place where it could be disposed of.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
You do realize wildlife keep eating trash and dying, right? Whales, birds, squirrels, etc. Don't you care about our planet at all?
The argument is about someone throwing their dog poop into someone else's trash can. Wildlife is not eating anybody's excrement regardless of where it is.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Just as importantly, what if you're in a sketchy neighborhood and someone is using your can to toss out contraband? It happens, you know.
Are you saying that people throw contraband in other people's trash and that causes some kind of legal issues for the homeowner's of that particular waste receptacle?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Are you saying that people throw contraband in other people's trash and that causes some kind of legal issues for the homeowner's of that particular waste receptacle?
Yeah. There was a big dustup in my city about that several years ago. Evidently, some drug paraphernalia made it into an elderly woman's trash can and some pedestrians noticed it and called the police.

Rather than do the commonsense thing and knock on the woman's door to make polite inquiries, there was a huge, over-the-top drug raid with helicopters and dogs and helmeted narcs kicking in the door of a wee eightyish woman who looked as if she should have been dangling on someone's charm bracelet, not running an opium den. They trashed her house and found nothing.

This thread brought that story to mind.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-12-2014 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships