Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:37 AM

207 posts, read 226,392 times

Advertisements

At work, a coworker and I were driving a huge truck (him being there as a guide when I put the vehicle in reverse/what not). He walked out of the vehicle and dropped his cell phone when I went into a gated parking lot. I went over it, supposedly when I was driving into the lot. The truck is huge, no way I can see it.

He did not realize it was gone or missing until the job was done. He was mildly pissed at me when he went searching, "You ran over my phone!!" Walked off. I apologize somewhat... but I dont feel responsible.

I feel bad like I should help him (but I dont want too), but do you believe I am at fault?

We just tolerate each other at best for work to begin with.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,352,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlexa View Post
At work, a coworker and I were driving a huge truck (him being there as a guide when I put the vehicle in reverse/what not). He walked out of the vehicle and dropped his cell phone when I went into a gated parking lot. I went over it, supposedly when I was driving into the lot. The truck is huge, no way I can see it.

He did not realize it was gone or missing until the job was done. He was mildly pissed at me.

I feel guilty, but do you believe I am at fault?

We just tolerate each other at best for work to begin with.

What would you do?
A) it was an accident; B) he dropped it.
I don't think he has any reason to be annoyed with you.

If you can afford it, maybe offer to pay part to get him a new one.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 AM

207 posts, read 226,392 times
Thank you

Old 07-22-2015, 08:13 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,701,297 times
Think this is the wrong forum for this... but I just wanted to echo, you aren't at "fault" for the same reasons the other poster mentioned. If you feel inclined, offering to help pay might be a good idea (but he might also have insurance on it, so maybe some other gesture would be better).

Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 AM

22,536 posts, read 47,584,363 times
He dropped it; you running over it was an accident. You owe him nothing.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:48 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,352,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
He dropped it; you running over it was an accident. You owe him nothing.
I should have added in my post: offering to pay part would be a nice gesture if the OP could afford it, but not an obligation.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,617,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I should have added in my post: offering to pay part would be a nice gesture if the OP could afford it, but not an obligation.
Well considering today that many people have smart phones that cost several hundred dollars(even those who really can't afford them) I wouldn't offer unless I had an idea of the cost.

The coworker dropped the phone, and with these smart phones the glass shatters when they're dropped, running over it didn't help, but I had a relative drop their phone, glass shattered and even with their "insurance" it cost $150 to fix.

I find that insane.

Personally I have a $30 flip phone and if you drop the worst thing that happens is the back comes off, but the phone is fine.

But if this phone was say $600, offering to pay half is going to cost you.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 AM

367 posts, read 457,566 times
Honestly, it's his problem. Let him buy his new phone.
Sucks that he dropped it and is now broke, but it was he who dropped it and he who was guiding you into reverse with the truck.

His reaction could just be momentary frustration, but if he thinks you are accountable in anyway or simply acts rude to you, then don't even give a penny towards a new phone for him. If he maintains a pleasant and respectful attitude and doesn't make any accusation towards you; that is the situation where you offer to help a bit.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:09 PM

6,552 posts, read 8,376,226 times
You're being too sensitive about it.

He's upset that his phone was destroyed. Not that you destroyed the phone.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,880,497 times
Not only was this not your fault, I'd go as far to say it's definitely his fault. Not only did he drop his phone, he's the one who was supposed to be guiding you in backing up the truck. That means, supposedly, that he's the one looking out for things that you might hit or run over. Some people just always think their own carelessness is someone else's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships