U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,010 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Reputation: 63714

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I apologize all the time. People tell me to stop saying sorry. Then, of course, my knee-jerk reaction is to say "I'm sorry."

Sometimes I don't finish my sentences. Maybe it's because I think people aren't really listening, or that I'm going to be interrupted, anyway.

IRL, a lot of people think I am really quiet. That's because I'd probably be slapped if I said what was on my mind. Like some others on here, I have an odd sense of humor, so there are things that I will only say to certain people. When I was first dating my fiance, even though I've known him for years, I'd say something and then look at him to gauge his reaction, thinking, "Oh, I really did it this time." Thank goodness he has the same sense of humor that I do. We watch Investigation Discovery, and it's almost another comedy channel to us. We even make fun of the commercials. Once we were watching "My 600 lb. Life" on TLC and there was a guy that started eating a lot after his wife was murdered. My fiance said, "Let's turn on Investigation Discovery and see who killed her." I almost fell off the couch laughing. We can't really tell other people this stuff.

I also read news articles and then get really mad at the comments. I've had to stop doing that. I have no idea why I do it, it's just a compulsion, I guess.

Harharhahrharhharhhahar! Oh, I can relate - because my husband and I both have the exact same totally inappropriate sense of humor too!

Hey, get this - this is really bad and don't think I don't know it. Sometimes we sit out on the patio drinking beer together (that's not the bad part), and I'll get the local newspaper which for some reason we still get delivered (probably for the following entertainment value alone), and I read the crime report out loud.

I read the names and we try to guess their race. Considering we have basically three ethnic groups around here - white, black and Hispanic (Yes, I typed other words first but thought better of them), it's usually pretty easy.

I'll be reading "Dawn Marie Rogers, age 32, evading a police officer, driving under the influence, possession of a controlled substance...and abuse of a corpse -- UH UH, OH NO SHE DI'INT! Dawn Marie - what's a sweet little ol white girl like you doing all that for?" Or, "Da'Shawn Marquis Washington (see the difference?), age 20, theft by check...WHAT? What 20 year old guy of ANY color carries a dang checkbook around with him?"

See - inappropriate. Sorry. By the way, we are not racist. In our immediate family - by that I mean people who sleep under our roof on a regular basis and use our bath towels - we have white, African American, Hispanic, and Korean folks. So...we get a pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,511 posts, read 14,346,913 times
Reputation: 23384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I rock back and forth in chairs. It doesn't matter where the chair is designed to rock or not - I bob back in forth in it. I'll even catch myself doing this while driving and often rock incessantly at work, all day long. It raises a few eyebrows.
Hahaha, I recently had someone tell me I do the eyebrow raising thing, a lot. I thought they were exaggerating until I saw myself on security footage. No wonder people think I'm a bit of a jerk sometimes, that eyebrow quirks up and down over a lot of little things!
@ Katherine, take a sharpie with you if you want, my daughter uses one to correct signs at the grocery and discount stores quite often. I find myself both horrified and amused by it, but nobody has ever said a word to her about it and usually the sign remains there for months, with her little marked correction on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 PM
 
Location: PA
2,109 posts, read 1,852,393 times
Reputation: 5408
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Harharhahrharhharhhahar! Oh, I can relate - because my husband and I both have the exact same totally inappropriate sense of humor too!

Hey, get this - this is really bad and don't think I don't know it. Sometimes we sit out on the patio drinking beer together (that's not the bad part), and I'll get the local newspaper which for some reason we still get delivered (probably for the following entertainment value alone), and I read the crime report out loud.

I read the names and we try to guess their race. Considering we have basically three ethnic groups around here - white, black and Hispanic (Yes, I typed other words first but thought better of them), it's usually pretty easy.

I'll be reading "Dawn Marie Rogers, age 32, evading a police officer, driving under the influence, possession of a controlled substance...and abuse of a corpse -- UH UH, OH NO SHE DI'INT! Dawn Marie - what's a sweet little ol white girl like you doing all that for?" Or, "Da'Shawn Marquis Washington (see the difference?), age 20, theft by check...WHAT? What 20 year old guy of ANY color carries a dang checkbook around with him?"

See - inappropriate. Sorry. By the way, we are not racist. In our immediate family - by that I mean people who sleep under our roof on a regular basis and use our bath towels - we have white, African American, Hispanic, and Korean folks. So...we get a pass.
LOL. The more inappropriate it is, the funnier. To us, anyway.

Speaking of things that other people do that annoys me, is when they lecture other people on what is and what is not funny. I know a couple of people that are so self-righteous you can barely say anything to them or in their presence. Since when has their indignation solved any problems?

Anyway, we were watching the tail end of some show on Investigation Discovery, some "Murder Mansion" or whatever, and the talking head said "the millionaire and his wife..." Right away we both start singing, "the movie star, Professor and Mary Ann!" Not that we think that people being murdered is hilarious. We just see humor in weird places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,010 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Reputation: 63714
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
LOL. The more inappropriate it is, the funnier. To us, anyway.

Speaking of things that other people do that annoys me, is when they lecture other people on what is and what is not funny. I know a couple of people that are so self-righteous you can barely say anything to them or in their presence. Since when has their indignation solved any problems?

Anyway, we were watching the tail end of some show on Investigation Discovery, some "Murder Mansion" or whatever, and the talking head said "the millionaire and his wife..." Right away we both start singing, "the movie star, Professor and Mary Ann!" Not that we think that people being murdered is hilarious. We just see humor in weird places.
Hey, that's a good one!

OK, my former boss and I also shared a really warped and oddball sense of humor, which is one reason we worked so well together for so many years and are still friends to this day (and still drive everyone around us crazy when we're together). Once we got off on this Pirate Talk thing and we were on that tear for months, months I tell you. Not just "Talk Like A Pirate Day" - no, we talked like pirates for eons.

Anyway, we were at the airport one time, with a group of captives from our office who could not escape our pirate talk. Anyway, we were standing in some line, and going on and on about "Got your air legs yet, ye land lubber?" and "Lower your topsail and I'll raise my mizzen!" and all that jive, and this guy behind us (NOT with our group) joined in with delight. So the three of us kept up this running pirate conversation for about ten minutes and suddenly, this guy's wife looked at him with the most hate filled expression I'd seen in awhile, and sneered at him, "YOU MAKE ME UTTERLY SICK." And then she just walked off somewhere.

We stood there for a second in silence and then my boss said, "Well, shiver me timbers!" and the guy said, "Blimey, she's a hot wench - reckon I should beat her with a cat o nine tails or just let her off my...hook?"

I thought I was going to die with laughter! But most of the people around us didn't see much humor in it. Especially when we were still doing it across the aisles and several rows of seats on the plane.

"Hoist the sails, Matie!"

"There be dragons below!"

"Can we get any rum in a barrel?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 AM
 
Location: PA
2,109 posts, read 1,852,393 times
Reputation: 5408
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, that's a good one!

OK, my former boss and I also shared a really warped and oddball sense of humor, which is one reason we worked so well together for so many years and are still friends to this day (and still drive everyone around us crazy when we're together). Once we got off on this Pirate Talk thing and we were on that tear for months, months I tell you. Not just "Talk Like A Pirate Day" - no, we talked like pirates for eons.

Anyway, we were at the airport one time, with a group of captives from our office who could not escape our pirate talk. Anyway, we were standing in some line, and going on and on about "Got your air legs yet, ye land lubber?" and "Lower your topsail and I'll raise my mizzen!" and all that jive, and this guy behind us (NOT with our group) joined in with delight. So the three of us kept up this running pirate conversation for about ten minutes and suddenly, this guy's wife looked at him with the most hate filled expression I'd seen in awhile, and sneered at him, "YOU MAKE ME UTTERLY SICK." And then she just walked off somewhere.

We stood there for a second in silence and then my boss said, "Well, shiver me timbers!" and the guy said, "Blimey, she's a hot wench - reckon I should beat her with a cat o nine tails or just let her off my...hook?"

I thought I was going to die with laughter! But most of the people around us didn't see much humor in it. Especially when we were still doing it across the aisles and several rows of seats on the plane.

"Hoist the sails, Matie!"

"There be dragons below!"

"Can we get any rum in a barrel?"
Wow. That poor guy with the cranky wife.

I guess I can say that another thing that I do (that others may find annoying) is laugh to myself, and then when someone asks me what's so funny, I say, "Nothing." Random stuff pops into my head all the time, and I'm sure I look like a weirdo when I'm by myself and giggling about something.

One time, I was at the supermarket in the frozen food aisle getting some Stouffer's meals because they were on sale. As I'm looking for the Swedish Meatballs, the Swedish chef voice pops into my head. I was kind of doing it under my breath, and trying not to laugh. Then, to make it even worse, I get this mental picture of the Swedish chef strapped to a gurney and getting neutered, and I'm finding that even funnier.

Whenever I'm on the subway, I'm tempted to try to get people to sing the 877 CASH NOW song. Haven't had the guts to try it, though. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,723,824 times
Reputation: 41129
Sometimes when I'm in line at the drive-thru, I get an overwhelming urge, and I yell, "I LOVE CHEESE!!!" into the mic before I order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 AM
 
5,702 posts, read 16,206,719 times
Reputation: 8571
I dont do anything annoying. I'm awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM
 
16,797 posts, read 14,562,196 times
Reputation: 37916
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Funny you should mention singing to pets, because I do that too. My song to my dogs goes exactly like this:

Adventure Dog....Adventure D-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-og,
Kinda big, kinda strong,
Stupid as a l-o-o-o-o-og.
Adventure DOOOOOOOOG!

The dogs love it but most humans don't.
Mt dog song goes like this:

There was a dog named Maaaaaaaaabel....
She has thighs like Betty Graaaaaaaaable...
She steals food from the taaaaaaaaaable...
Smells like she lives in a staaaaaaaaaable...

Etc.

It goes on and on with new verses added frequently

I suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 11:37 AM
 
8 posts, read 7,086 times
Reputation: 30
I fart too much (damn pills).
I am always undermining my own efforts, zero positive thoughts during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,001 posts, read 32,857,886 times
Reputation: 27538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I dont do anything annoying. I'm awesome.
LOL...liars are annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top