U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:46 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,067,156 times

Advertisements

I use my smartphone in restaurants and other public places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 AM

4,754 posts, read 4,328,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

I make my 6 pets "talk," each in their own designated heavily-accented voices

I would love to hear this so much, you have no idea.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 4,328,295 times
I leave things in the microwave. Beep, beep, beep. Go to it several minutes later...needs to be reheated. Reheat. Beep, beep, beep. Forget about it until the reminder beep. Repeat until I actually eat/drink said item.

Drives my oldest nuts.

Also, I add "uh" to the end of certain words, like "Okaaaaaaaaay-uh" or "Noooooo-uh." It was once pointed out to me, so now I do it on purpose. I know it annoys people, don't care.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:41 AM

44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
How would I know about the annoying habits I have? If I knew they annoyed people, then I wouldn't be doing them anymore, right?

I mean, people talking in the library is annoying too, but I can understand it. Listening to music on a library computer out loud when you could SO easily have headphones on says to me either that person has no clue that is annoying, or just doesn't give a flip.

Anyway, more will come to me. They always do.
Are you serious? I mean, you're asking OTHER people to name things they do that they know annoy others, but you can't think of a single thing you do that may annoy others? Do you REALLY think that people will automatically stop doing something because they may annoy others? Do you REALLY think that you don't do anything habitually which annoys other people?

OK...maybe you do, so I'll help you out: Get this - you're annoying me right now with your blindness toward your own faults. Hey, that's a start! More will come to you if you really think about it!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:08 AM

174 posts, read 265,733 times
I always keep my phone on vibrate (partly because the habit developed during school when I was in classes, and also the fact that my phone stopped working with the ringtones), and sometimes I can't feel it when someone calls. I would say I miss over 80% of all my calls and it frustrates the hell out of people. My friends have raged at me for it...but I can't say that I'm gonna change this any time soon...I mean there isn't much I can do. It's not like I'm gonna hold my phone in my hand the whole time.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:10 AM

44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Hey, OP, keep reading all these posts and maybe you'll see some of yourself in them, or get some ideas about how you irritate others - because I'm sure that you do at times! (We all do.)

Old 04-13-2014, 02:03 AM

43 posts, read 55,112 times
Im a germaphope and it pisses a lot of people off. I wash my hands thoroughly about 45 times a day I shower 3 times a day. I dont like bieng touched i avoid public restrooms like the plague i always carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket. I insist on a women showering before we have sex if she refuses i politely walk her out i say goodnight and never speak to her again. I dont shake anyone's hand except when meeting new people because I dont want to come off as rude so I reluctantly shake theyre hand then immediately reach for the hand sanitizer. My car and apartment are completely sterile and I have very strict rules. Before anyone enters my car I give them a squirt of hand sanitizer I lay down plastic on the seat then I instruct them to touch absolutely nothing! When anyone enters my apartment I have them wash theyre hands thoroughly. Then i give them footies to wear over theyre shoes and to sit only on the couch with plastic over it and touch absolutely nothing! My friends are used to all of this and they respect it. Its when I hang out with new people they sometimes get annoyed or offended its nothing personal I just assume everyone is dirty. Ive been this way as long as I can remember it gets worse every year. I hope i dont end up like Howard Hughes and lock myself in my apartment and never go anywhere until the day I die.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:35 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,494,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I have a tendency to repeat myself a lot when I talk.

So Mrs. Chow tells me.....
My MIL does that. She does that so often I actually wonder if there's something organically wrong with her brain. She's not demented, but she will repeat the same story over and over within the space of a few minutes. She also repeats the same story in the long term, after days or weeks. I try to be polite and listen patiently, but after the fifth+ repetition, I have to tell her to stop.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I have an annoying habit of talking to myself under my breath. I usually only do that when I'm nervous. I have no idea why I do this, nor do I know other people who do this. I've talked under my breath since I was a child. I'm a nail biter as well. And sometimes, I pick my lips. Nasty, nasty habits both of those are, but they are a lot better than the one I gave up: Smoking an assload of cigarettes 24-7

Old 04-13-2014, 04:47 AM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times
I hate whistling, sometimes hearing it gives me a headache. I boil when people whistle in public places. I seethe with hatred for them and wish personal misfortune and worse on them.

The people in the country where I live start the day later than most Americans do. I am up and out in the hall pressing the elevator button at 7 a.m. while my neighbors are all still locked in the embrace of Morpheus and whomever else they bed with.

Yesterday morning there was this noisome, abominable racket in the hall as I was waiting for the elevator. It was me whistling the first verse of Alexander's Ragtime Band loud enough to be heard in Perth Amboy. On the ride down to the garage, I had to accept the fact that I often encounter this same jackass early in the morning. Some of These Days is another one of his favorites.

Another winner: I entered our parking garage one day, closed the door and got out in the dark. It is cavernous, it echoes. I had (notice past tense) developed the habit of letting out a hideous Dracula laugh as soon as the door slammed shut and the place was pitch dark. The last day I ever did this it was followed by a woman's piercing scream! I fled.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:15 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,109,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Lol. First off, it's pretty obvious that the post was written as the annoying indiscretion was being committed. So, I was really annoyed at the time and getting a headache.

How would I know about the annoying habits I have? If I knew they annoyed people, then I wouldn't be doing them anymore, right?

I mean, people talking in the library is annoying too, but I can understand it. Listening to music on a library computer out loud when you could SO easily have headphones on says to me either that person has no clue that is annoying, or just doesn't give a flip.

Anyway, more will come to me. They always do.
No, you really should go first. I would've gone if you went. Now I won't. That person's not having headphones might in fact mean he can't afford the nine bucks that you quoted originally, as opposed to either of the choices you offer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or