Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times

Advertisements

I hate when people over-use the "to be honest" phrase. Drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^That! What is annoying is that there are adults 30 & over who talk like this as well customer
service reps or professionals (with a Masters degree). Geez, I had high school students who sounded
more mature.
Also, people who;
text while driving
text while walking (came close to falling down or running into someone or something)
people who are walking down the street and will say HI, and I think it's directed at me but they are on
their cell phone.
Cell phone users in public announcing details that should be kept private (if you know what I mean)
people who decide to open their car doors (drivers side) when there is heavy traffic
people who block an isle with their cart and just don't care.
baggers who place glass or canned goods on top of my bread, bananas, crackers etc...
people who think and act like they know everything
people who think they are pioneers, unique or special when it comes to things our parents, grandparents and generations before us did.
parents who let their children run around a restaurant and nearly knock patrons or servers down
(got a few kicks in the legs by these kids).

Thanks for letting me vent.
I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to put heavy stuff on top of light stuff but I guess some do. I've heard it often enough. I'm a cashier and I do the bagging. It's really my favorite part of the job. It's like a big puzzle and, for sure, a challenge to do it right. I bag for my customers like I do it for me and I haven't had any complaints. When I do my own shopping I use the self checkout, mostly because I don't like the way most cashiers bag things. Watching people bag their own at self checkout has produced a few shudders as well!

I've been a 'victim' of one of those kids tearing through a restaurant. A two year old, running in front of his dad, hit me at full tilt and knocked me butt over teakettles. Tray went one way and I went the other. Luckily I had an empty tray! I landed on my hands and knees and I remember it took weeks for my knees to feel good. The dad made his kid apologize to me but I told him it wasn't really the kids fault... He left me a $20 tip. Now, ten years later, my wrists/thumbs are in bad shape from that fall and will require surgery, eventually. It's not too bad, really, and I wear a brace which helps a ton.

I have one pet peeve to add to the 'list'...people who walk out the store doors and just walk across in front of traffic without looking left or right, or sometimes, not even straight ahead. Cell phone... I keep thinking that one of these days I'm going to sneak up on them and honk my horn! lol

Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
People who post on CD writing in one long, poorly punctuated, paragraph about their latest psychological problem in life and then expect people to answer.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
1) Gum noises. Gum clicking makes me stabby. Really.

2) Other gum noises like popping and loud chewing.

3) Any mouth noises, like sucking teeth to free food.

4) People who talk and talk without any self-awareness. Those people who ramble on, while their victim suffers with glazed-over eyes. These people also tend to not let their victims talk. If the victim is somehow able to squeeze in a word or two, the talker turns the story back to them. Stabby.

5) Overhead footfall noises (from having someone live in the apartment above). This is why I always live on the top floor.

I have noise issues, self-diagnosed misophonia.

My biggest annoyance that's not sound related... People who toss cigarettes out of car windows. Seriously, people?! There are so many reasons that is not a good idea. What bugs me more is that it doesn't seem to get as much criticism as I think it should. Grrrr, people.
Your #5 is exactly why I refuse to ever live in another apartment. The last one cured me forever. The neighbors upstairs were not only elephants the could never vacuum during the day. I lived on the middle floor, unfortunately, so I had a guy downstairs as well. He was a DIYer and constantly cutting, sawing, hammering, etc.. I worked just across the street and could hear his noise over there too! He spent a lot of time doing his 'stuff' but I never did know exactly what that was. Neighbor whose BR wall was same as ours...not good when their headboard is banging the wall! The guy across the hall who loved his stereo so much he thought we all should too. AND the best ones...next door, young couple who fought constantly, threw things, yelled and cussed. They got married, went on their honeymoon...that was nice for us!...then came home and returned to their regular programming. So glad that was just a temporary six month experience!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:00 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
AZDesertBrat, I'd have lost my mind. :P I've made the mistake of living beneath people and, each and every time, I've regretted it.

Once, I thought the upstairs neighbors had a toddler who ran around all day. When I went upstairs to talk to them about the noise, I found out that it was just an elderly couple. No children! They said they didn't have any kids and never had visiting grandkids. I couldn't believe it. How could old people make running noises all. day. long?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to put heavy stuff on top of light stuff but I guess some do. I've heard it often enough. I'm a cashier and I do the bagging. It's really my favorite part of the job. It's like a big puzzle and, for sure, a challenge to do it right. I bag for my customers like I do it for me and I haven't had any complaints. When I do my own shopping I use the self checkout, mostly because I don't like the way most cashiers bag things. Watching people bag their own at self checkout has produced a few shudders as well!
Whenever we shop at Trader Joes, they don't care how much a bag will weigh. If you buy 300 lbs of products that will fit in one bag, they will put it all in one bag. ONE checker I know will distribute the weight. All others will throw everything into the fewest number of bags possible, even if you need to be a world class weight lifter to carry it. I've just learned to grab a few bags on my way out and re-bag things when I get to my car.

One another note, here's something that irritates me and happened yesterday....going through a fast food drive thru and the guy at the window decided to stick his head out of the window and practically leans his whole upper body into my car when he hands me the food. Have you ever heard of personal space???? Just use your arm and hand me the bag. Is that so hard?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
I hate when people over-use the "to be honest" phrase. Drives me crazy.
My standard rejoinder to that is "So does this mean you're not honest most of the time?"

Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
People who hang out in the left-hand lane on the interstate. It's the PASSING lane, not the FAST lane. Pass the car ahead of you, then get back into the right-hand lane.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to put heavy stuff on top of light stuff but I guess some do.

I've been a 'victim' of one of those kids tearing through a restaurant. A two year old, running in front of his dad, hit me at full tilt and knocked me butt over teakettles. Tray went one way and I went the other. Luckily I had an empty tray! I landed on my hands and knees and I remember it took weeks for my knees to feel good. The dad made his kid apologize to me but I told him it wasn't really the kids fault... He left me a $20 tip. Now, ten years later, my wrists/thumbs are in bad shape from that fall and will require surgery, eventually. It's not too bad, really, and I wear a brace which helps a ton.
^^^^Sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Whenever we shop at Trader Joes, they don't care how much a bag will weigh. If you buy 300 lbs of products that will fit in one bag, they will put it all in one bag. ONE checker I know will distribute the weight. All others will throw everything into the fewest number of bags possible, even if you need to be a world class weight lifter to carry it.
It happened again yesterday - nice cashier but the bagger put 4 glass jars over my bananas.....I stop
and said "wait, that's going to bruise them," and the bagger just gives me one of those smirky looks &
keeps going. I"ll do the self check out when there is no line (and often a cashier is faster)

ANDYes Mike930, that's another thing that drives me nuts. I'll bring my own bags and for some
reason they do the same thing and the only way I can lift it would be with a fork lift.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
- People who talk during a movie or TV show and miss half the show because they are making stupid comments. Then they ask you questions that they would've known the answer to had they kept quiet.
Because of this, I haven't been in a movie theatre since 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
People who are such slaves to their smart phones that they can't sit for two hours in a movie theater without checking messages. Yeah, that little light is really bright in a dark room.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I was at the grocery store yesterday. I walked in, grabbed a cart, sanitized it
I hate hand "sanitizing" and every other hand product. I put those thin vegetable bags over my hands so I don't have to touch the leftover hand products people leave on the grocery cart handle, of which my hands invariably otherwise reek of when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
1) Gum noises. Gum clicking makes me stabby. Really.

2) Other gum noises like popping and loud chewing.

3) Any mouth noises, like sucking teeth to free food.

5) Overhead footfall noises (from having someone live in the apartment above). This is why I always live on the top floor.

I have noise issues, self-diagnosed misophonia.
My therapist told me I have misophonia, too. I'd never heard of it before. I can't believe there are people who can stand the sound of upstairs neighbor noise. I live between two floors in an apartment building and I hear every move my upstairs neighbor's feet make. He's not too bad -- he takes his shoes off -- but every once in awhile...

Oh, and I also hate shoes you can hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships