Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times

Advertisements

You could be overly sensitive to the people who are proud of what theyve accomplished. My wife and I bought a very nice house last year because I feel like weve earned it. I paid my way though college and got a very difficult degree. I was a late bloomer in life and felt like Ive finally made it for myself. So we bought a two story brick home with a pool. I wanted to post a pic on facebook because I was proud of our new house, however my wife was against it because she has some family members that she didnt want knowing about it. I can see how some people would think I was trying to be showy, when in actuality I am just proud of my accomplishments and wanted to share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
I don't have any rich braggarts on my friends list. I have some rich non-braggarts and some non-rich braggarts.
I do find it annoying when those who almost never post, comment, contribute to any discussion - who never read anyone else's posts - suddenly show up with their own accomplishment for all to celebrate. If they want everyone to celebrate their milestones with them, why not check in once in a while to participate with others?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:21 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Just unfollow or unfriend the Facebraggers.

FWIW, there have always been nouveau-riche people who flaunt their newly acquired wealth in the most gauche and ostentatious of ways. It's not a new phenomenon. Social media just gives people another venue in which to do it.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Am I the only one who finds this tacky?
I don't find it tacky. I have friends who have nice things, and I know they worked hard for it. I don't begrudge them anything. Why would I?

That's the thing about Facebook. Many people have "friends" who are merely acquaintances. I don't have anybody on my friends list that I wouldn't invite to my home for a party.

I thinks it makes a person sound petty and jealous by calling them out on what they are obviously proud of. If you can't handle their wealth, just unfriend them and move on with your life. It's not worth getting in a snit over, in my opinion.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
LOL, you learn a lot about people on facebook. I'm used to having people around who need a lot of attention and some do tie their self esteem into trying to make other people jealous of them. So I just say yah, nice car, super nice watch, I love your new **** whatever. If someone takes it too far like with the lightbulb maid comment, I might say something like "I know, the maids never do their job, my basement maid doesn't even know how to drain the water heater" or something like that. If they get mad, well, they need to get some humor.

I think people should be able to say what is going on, just don't drone on and on. That includes family stuff. I'd rather see pics of someone's home restoration project than hundreds of selfies or family photos and monotonous daily stuff. It is also no better to brag about your kids and go on an on and on....

I guess I just don't see much difference in posting a car or posting a vacation or posting a family pic, it's the context. I'm surprised at how jealous people have become and also how *some* people want or expect other people to be jealous. If a rich person has a Porsche, that is to be expected, if they make a big deal out of it in an improper context, that's different. Facebook can confuse in that regard. In real life you see expressions and you know what the person is doing, on FB it could be innocent but readers get bent out of shape or the person could be laughing at the fake friends and you wouldn't know it.

I hope someday we can get back to real life face to face interaction as the primary communication.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So, how does the posting "my maid always forgets to dust the lightbulbs, don't you just hate that" fit? I consider that a brag/ complaint .......
Yup...the friend I was referring to in my comment--"should I take the Escalade or CTS out today?"...really, who gives a flying fig? why does that even need to be posted on FB? Oh yeah, I know why, because she needs to let everyone know that she has 2 Cadillacs. She references her cars often. It's not about jealousy. My husband and I do very well. We just don't feel the need to post about certain things. We know that not all of our family and friends are in financial positions to travel or spend as much as they'd like to so to us it's like rubbing it in someone's face. There are certain things that we post minimally on FB.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM

59 posts, read 69,948 times
I think it's extremely tacky. But then again, anyone with a brain knows that people who behave this way are overcompensating for some other area of their lives where they feel they're lacking.

And seriously - it's not just tacky, it's stupid. If you're constantly flaunting your luxury goods, everybody knows that you have a lot of money or a high credit limit (a/k/a a good credit score). Why make it easy for identity thieves to know who to target? And why open yourself up to forming "friendships" with the type of people who see what you have and cozy up to you because they think it'll benefit them?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
Don't have too many friends that do this although a few always post vacation pictures of them at some exotic locale. Food is usually included in the picture taken at some fancy restaurant. I usually resent it because it makes me hungry!!!

Where I get a chuckle are some political posts and they can get REALLY nasty between people, especially the extremely opinionated ones. I'm sure that there have been some un-friendings over the more controversial posts.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No I have not. Not among my circle of facebook friends. But I did with one.

I did defriend someone a few years ago for similar things. He was in a New Wave rock band in the 70s and 80s. Everyone knows he has money. He really didn't need to post photos of his 1700s restored Connecticut farm house or a 2 year bottle of wine or an Astin Martin. It was obnoxious.

So in a post, I called him out on it. I said "we get it" you have money, not can you stop postings photos of your possessions? It's getting old."

Because I embarrassed him, he defriended me. (was about to do that anyway, but I wanted to let him know why.

Through that I received many friend requests and made one good friend.

Because he was a "famous person" some people like to have him on their friend list, and he was getting away with things that most others would not.

So if these people annoy you, unfriend them. But first tell them why.
I think it's the context. The farm house, wine and car would interest me (and I was a new wave freak in school) but it's how you say it, I think. An older guy with money, so this is his life, but if he was mocking people who have less, that is a problem.

I was reading the blog of a musician who posts tons of pics and he likes sports cars. So we have seen all his cars and he got a new one. There is a photo of it from the back but he wrote that he will not post a full photo of it as to not 'arouse envy'. Ookay, that is so condescending, and stupid. Talk about a shot at the little people. Maybe some of us have a better car, LOL.

In that way I think posting things that are true to your life is being honest, and "hiding" things is assuming the readers are immature and petty. Rich people have fancy stuff and that's their life.
Wannabes ponder about taking out caddy1 or caddy2 and dirty lightbulbs. Pathetic and petty. Oh, and posting pictures of food- no, please, no please, no.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
I'll take 'bragging' posts over people who constantly post about how life sucks and is so unfair. These people are always posting selfies of themselves as well. I hide them. I'm sure I annoy some people when I post pics of my food sometimes. I am THAT poster. At the end of the day our posts will most likely annoy someone on our friends list since you can't please everyone. Those people are more than welcome to unfriend me or hide my posts. I personally like seeing pics of new houses, new possessions, nice vacations. It makes me happy for my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships