U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:57 AM

10,135 posts, read 7,670,767 times

Advertisements

They have a form of self-hate. I'm sorta like that, hypocritically speaking.

But then again, it's just personal taste and we know people can get offended by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 AM

393 posts, read 393,395 times
To the OP: Because people are hypocrites.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,621,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
We all care about looks to some degree, don't lie.

Why do we hate shallow people, when most people are shallow?
Don't assume we are YOU. speak for yourself!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM

14,959 posts, read 11,929,206 times
I like my men shallow and superficial...they are so easy and predictable and so
uncomplicated...similar to my golden retriever mix.
Give em a remote, a sandwich, a beer and tell them they are THE best...and
off I go to do my profoundly deep things.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,621,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I like my men shallow and superficial...they are so easy and predictable and so
uncomplicated...similar to my golden retriever mix.
Give em a remote, a sandwich, a beer and tell them they are THE best...and
off I go to do my profoundly deep things.
Boy, it's a good thing you didn't hook up with a multifaceted man with a degree in something. Because then you'd simply be divorced.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM

425 posts, read 347,070 times
I didn't read the thread, just the OP, but here is my answer:

There is not just "shallow" or "not shallow." Instead, there is a wide range of "reasonableness." I certainly do not believe everyone is "shallow."

For example, you could consider me "shallow" if I didn't like someone based on the color shoes they wear, or by the car they drive. Most people do not dismiss others so easily as by dislike of their shoe color, or the way they pronounce a certain word.

WHY would you want to be around people who like or dislike you based on such trivial and undefining things?

On the other hand, someone who cares about you on a deeper level, say, your general ideas, beliefs, goals, and dreams... is not so "shallow."

Old 05-05-2014, 03:45 PM

16,988 posts, read 20,540,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
We all care about looks to some degree, don't lie.

Why do we hate shallow people, when most people are shallow?
Most of us like to be around people who practice good hygiene, does that make us shallow?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:49 PM

1,309 posts, read 895,620 times
Thats a bit ridiculous since a normal level of "shallow" is caring about your partner's physical appearance and finding them sexually desirable. The bad kind of shallow is being like Justin Bieber or Paris Hilton and only caring about money, looks and being fashionable. Thats being more a bad person/

Old 05-06-2014, 02:00 AM

4,323 posts, read 3,609,628 times
Shallow? This means superficial in a relationship sense. I know people, mainly women, who care only of superficial material matters in a relationship. Anything deeper is beyond them.

You can care about your appearance and not be superficial.

Last edited by John-UK; 05-06-2014 at 02:09 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 02:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,638,804 times
I think everyone pretty much covered it. Caring about looks isn't what makes a person shallow.

There are some things that are more superficial than others on a scale of substance, though. It's an intuitive scale we don't really need to put to words unless we choose to argue it.

Generally, we have an understanding (or gut feeling or little voice in the back of our heads) that superficial things are those things that are very fleeting, hold little meaning in the sense that they say very little about who someone is at his core or about his value systems or about the relationships he's capable of having.

And they're things that, perhaps, don't contribute as much to the emotional and psychological stability, depth, and strength of relationships and interactions at large or to the progress of a society and mankind as a whole.

Because of this understanding/gut feeling/little voice, which is undoubtedly stronger in some than others, things like looks naturally tend to be closer to the "shallow" end of the substance scale while things like honesty, for example, tend to be closer to the "deep" end.

One can claim a person is shallow, then, simply because that person places a lot of stock in the things that fall on the shallow end of the substance scale while not caring much or at all about the rest. Everything for them being about popularity, looks, money and the like, scoffing at things like intelligence, maturity, and compassion.

Is there anything wrong with being shallow? No - but that's only because there are enough people who aren't to keep things moving forward. If everyone was, in fact, shallow, society would be in an even sadder state than it is, an opinion I'm not interested in debating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or