U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,452,567 times

Advertisements

I dread most "holidays" especially since people take it TOO seriously I feel. ESPECIALLY unonfficial holidays Valentines day, it just really irks me. People complain that I come off as a scruge sometimes but I just feel like people want a reason to celebrate something. To each his/her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:14 AM

12,691 posts, read 14,074,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
...When we kids use to buy her cards it was a full time job trying to find one that didn't say "To The Best Mother In The World", "Thanks For Being There For Me" and so on, trying to buy a generic card for a mother from hell, is difficult at best....
I am right there with you!

I am repeating myself, I know, but I think Hallmark failed miserably when it did not come out with a line of mother's day cards that began "Dear Sir..."

Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 22,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I dread most "holidays" especially since people take it TOO seriously I feel. ESPECIALLY unonfficial holidays Valentines day, it just really irks me. People complain that I come off as a scruge sometimes but I just feel like people want a reason to celebrate something. To each his/her own.
I agree wholeheartedly. I am not a big holiday person, with the exception of close family/friend's birthdays. I do have friends that go "all out" for minor holidays such as, St. Patrick's day, Valentine's day, etc...For example, they throw elaborate and expensive house parties complete with theme decorations, food and beverages.

As for Mom's day...no, I am not looking forward to it. Growing up with a mother who was only marginally effective at motherhood at best...we are not that close anymore. It's even worse when your boyfriend makes you feel guilty as hell for not calling her more often.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,905,147 times
I'm looking toward to Mother's Day. I'm taking my one year old to a Boston Mother's Day event that's based on a children's story. There will be kids dressing up, clowns, face painting, etc. It should be fun. Mother's Day will be more about us and less about my own mom, who will get a call and flowers or something.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 PM

23,636 posts, read 33,429,727 times
Mother's Day is the fourth most nauseating g*&damn day of the year for me. The Hallmark feeling, the squishy feelings, the awws, holy , too much tenderness for my tolerance. I'm going to send my mom a gift, call her for a quick convo, and then spend the rest of the day with GTA V and a Blu cigarette. I HATE hallmark holidays.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 AM

303 posts, read 426,504 times
I always get a weird feeling around Mother's Day, like many of you seem to as well. It makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who doesn't like the holiday. My mother was manipulative and emotionally destructive throughout my childhood and we stopped speaking about 3.5-ish years ago. She has since tried to reconnect but I know this is based more on her embarrassment over having pushed away her eldest daughter than truly seeking reconciliation, which I am not ready to give just yet either. However, I choose to spend Mother's Day celebrating other women in my life who truly are a blessing. My Nana and my stepmother are wonderful women and mothers so it's a holiday for them in my mind. My SO's mom is also a blessing and I make sure to let her know as well. There are plenty of women to praise on Mother's Day that are not your biological mother.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 AM

18,664 posts, read 23,241,522 times
There was a time in my life, after my mother died an untimely death, and I struggled with infertility, that Mother's Day was difficult for me.

I was married for over seven years before I achieved pregnancy. It might have been been longer. I swear I've blotted it out.

I didn't have a mother. All of my friends had babies. I had neither.

Mother's Day is also hard on children in school who, for what ever reason; have an absent Mother.

Now I enjoy Mother's Day. I have two almost grown kids, one through birth; and the other through adoption, I don't hate Mother's Day.

We go out to dinner, and I enjoy my own family. There are flowers and gifts. We take a ride in the country, usually. Sometimes we take in a chick flick, and no one complains; for once.

However, I can understand where Mother's Day can be a source of pain for children without mothers, and for women experiencing infertility.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:31 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,836,371 times
I am single, with no children and my mom passed in late 2006.... so it will be just another day for me.....

Before my mom became ill and had to leave South Texas for here, mother's day was a holiday I made sure I spent with her....

Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,075,952 times
This year is a little tricky since my mother and I aren't speaking at the moment. I'm not sure if I'll text her or not. I don't know what my husband will have the kids do or if he'll even remember. He's super busy. It won't hurt my feelings if he forgets. He has a lot on his plate.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:29 PM

7,729 posts, read 18,612,109 times
Quote:
Those of you who have or had wonderful mothers cannot possibly understand how those of us who had dysfunctional mothers feel.
Reading this thread make me sad. I had friends with drunks for mothers or kids at school whose parents threw their kids away. I didn't realize how devastating this was, I only saw it from a teen's eyes of envy over their freedom. I hadn't realized back then, no one was watching, because no one cared.

I had a great mom...lost her 22 years ago this June 1st. I remember on more than one occasion announcing I needed 3 dozen cupcakes by morning, or a bunny costume, or a ride to the other side of the state (well, not that bad). But I remember my mom took it in stride, was never mean nor angry. I was crushed when she died, she only knew one of my boys. She died having no idea that I would later divorce my husband (of many years) after he became abusive and mean. My boys make me feel appreciated and loved. My ex's mother (and father) cut me off from all communication, never once asking to hear my side of things - so other than a dose of bitterness, I feel a little sad after 25+ years of an in-law relationship. Unfortunately and not intentionally, my kids want very little contact with them and I think this plays into some of the empathy I have for others on this thread. But I can't come close to identifying to what some of you have been through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or