Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 08:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Finish school. As for "defying your father...." - come on, grow up - all you will accomplish is jeopardizing yourself. Finish your education. Continue working. Take some time off if needed and if you need professional help as in a professional to talk things over, seek out a counselor at school or even a pastor. Stop and think with your head and not your emotions.
He graduates from college on May 12 of this year and is taking a couple of weeks off from his low-paying grocery store job to take a road trip and check out some grad schools.

His father is opposed to both the trip and to his moving away to go to grad school and is using scare tactics to try and keep him home. It's hardly a huge act of defiance to want to take a couple of weeks of vacation and see about furthering your education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
It's a lot weird to be 22, terrified of your father and unable to do something as simple as go on a vacation by yourself.
From his posts, it sounds like his father has used fear to control him all his life. His dad is telling him that if he goes on this road trip and has an accident, that he'll use up all the insurance benefits and his father will be able to afford the medications he needs. His father is also predicting that his truck will break down and that will be the end of the world.

It's not weird for a 22-year-old who has been subjected to fear-mongering his whole life to be afraid to take off on his own.

Last edited by Marlow; 04-25-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 08:44 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times
But at some point, OP should get a grip, grow up and realize that his father may not be all that bright/sane/experienced in life. He needs to cut the cord.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
But at some point, OP should get a grip, grow up and realize that his father may not be all that bright/sane/experienced in life. He needs to cut the cord.
Absolutely. It looks like he is on the verge of doing that.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
I just may rent a car after all, perhaps a smaller car, cheaper gas.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Go and have a good time. You have been talking about this for a long time, and you will regret it if you don't go. You will always wonder what could have been. You seem to have an idealized version of the South, and it is time to see if you really like it as much as you believe you will. Good luck. Btw, I love the South and wouldn't live anywhere else, but it has good things and bad things about it just like everywhere else. You will find your niche.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Go and have a good time. You have been talking about this for a long time, and you will regret it if you don't go. You will always wonder what could have been. You seem to have an idealized version of the South, and it is time to see if you really like it as much as you believe you will. Good luck. Btw, I love the South and wouldn't live anywhere else, but it has good things and bad things about it just like everywhere else. You will find your niche.
I'm trying not to be unrealistic about the region, some people jive with some places better than others. I'm not coming there with pretention, I can promise you that.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Absolutely. It looks like he is on the verge of doing that.
When I visit the colleges I'm going to ask about employment and housing as well.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 PM

Just one more week to go, and it's going to be hard I can already tell.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Just one more week to go, and it's going to be hard I can already tell.
Which part is going to be hard? The actual leave-taking? Or the trip itself?

What have you told your parents so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships