Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's time, Desert Kid. If you don't do it now, you probably never will.
And here is another gem of reality. If you do it, you only have to do it once. They will lose all power to control you from there on.

PS, the health insurance excuse is totally bogus. You will be covered no matter what, and your parents have a limited deductible and out-of-pocket costs. It's the law now. They are not going to lose the Humera because of you. No one is going to "up and die." Ridiculous and transparent! They must think you are an idiot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,265 times
I didn't go through with what my dad wanted me to do today.

He's going to find out. There's going to be a fight, I know it.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Yeah we fought.

Defended myself, settled on getting a rental car for the drive. But he still won't let me quit, I want to quit and I'm going to. With exception that I'll reapply for my old job on the way back. And my stuff will likely be on the lawn.

The absolute worst of the trip will be down I-10/I-20 on the way to Fort Worth. I'll visit cousins in Denton or a user here in Wichita Falls, then drive over to friends in Bonham. Take it back to I-20 to Mississippi, follow I-55 up to Oxford, see Ole Miss, visit a fellow city-data user in Senatobia. Follow the state highways of MS into TN, see Memphis, drive to Shiloh and take the state highways to Nashville to see Vanderbilt before turning around.

He still says he can't pay for his shots, and that I need to get my disrespectful ass the **** out. I can't really help from crying.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM

778 posts, read 823,367 times
I don't really see how his inability to pay for his shots is your fault, if you're using your own money. Even if they're paying part of your school expenses (which is, of course, very generous and kind of them), that's something they agreed to and should have budgeted for. It's a hard situation for them, but I don't see what it has to do with you.

My mom does a more mild version of this very well, and growing up like that has left me afraid of new things. This all came to a head in 2009 when my dad, brother and I all wanted to go to a convention. I especially wanted to go since I knew this would be my last chance to go to one like this for many years, since I knew I'd be leaving for college in a while. Mom wasn't interested in being involved (it was a rabbit show, of all the goofy hobbies, and she doesn't particularly like the rabbits), but we all tried really, really hard to find a compromise to make her happy.

We could all go and make it a family vacation.
Nope, she'd be absolutely bored (despite being in San Diego, surrounded with things to do).

Dad would step down from anything official he needed to do, my brother and I would take care of his rabbits, and he and mom could have fun.
Nope, who would watch the animals back home?

We could hire someone to come check on the animals.
Nope, too expensive.

Well gee, my boyfriend said he'd do it for free.
Nope, that would be an inconvenience to him.

The only situation that was going to make her happy was the one where she got to stay at home, but didn't have to take care of the animals. So it was decided since I went to the last big convention (in 2006, and then only because my dad decided to have a heart attack while he was there alone), that he and Brian would go. I, a 24-year-old adult, was forbidden to go on a trip.

And I'd had enough of it.

I ended up telling my mom that we've tried for months to find a compromise that would make her happy, and she'd shot down every last one. So I was going to go with some friends, dad and brother were going to go together, and she was free to decide what she wanted to do from there.

She was incredibly unhappy with this...but that was her unhappiness. Absolutely none of the other options we tried worked, and I wasn't going to miss out on something I really wanted to do because of it. She tried really hard to guilt trip me, threatened to sell things I owned (which I pointed out she had no legal right to do), and I just decided I wasn't going to stand for any of it. Yes, I understand you don't like my decision mom, but this is what I'm doing.

She got over it very quickly, and we haven't had an issue like that sense. Even now that I'm not living there she'll still try to shut my ideas down, but I say the same thing. I understand you don't like my decision, but this is what I'm doing.

But as an aside, it might be wise to leave anything of value to you with friends or take it with you. Just in case.

Also you might benefit from reading up on assertive communication: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...-20044644?pg=1

Old 04-21-2014, 07:27 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Your taking this trip has NOTHING to do with your father's medications. Not a single thing. Also, why don't you get AAA and take your truck? If it breaks down, call AAA, get it towed and then rent a car. I doubt if you'll have to. But renting a car is going to cost a huge chunk of your $5000. Take your camping gear and stay in state parks. Give your employer 2 weeks notice and tell them that you know they can't hold the job, but you hope to reapply when you get back.

Honestly, what you're planning is not outrageous. It's a graduation road trip. People do it all the time.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Your taking this trip has NOTHING to do with your father's medications. Not a single thing. Also, why don't you get AAA and take your truck? If it breaks down, call AAA, get it towed and then rent a car. I doubt if you'll have to. But renting a car is going to cost a huge chunk of your $5000. Take your camping gear and stay in state parks. Give your employer 2 weeks notice and tell them that you know they can't hold the job, but you hope to reapply when you get back.

Honestly, what you're planning is not outrageous. It's a graduation road trip. People do it all the time.
Yea, I disagree with the rental car thing... Rental agencies do NOT take care of the cars, they only top up the fluids. They too break down on the road as well. So you're basically paying a lot of money for some false security.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Not according to him it doesn't. He has no faith in me driving on the interstate, rental car or not. He told me to "think what your doing to me" when I take that trip. How if I screw up, it'll just as well kill him.

According to him, if I screw up on this trip, I take up all my mom's health insurance. Screamed it at me even. Screams at me to not quit my job too.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM

Well, you survived the fight, no casualties. It wasn't the end of the world, was it?

Are you starting to see how your parents are trying to intimidate you with increasingly empty, meaningless threats? Keep detaching emotionally. Do not let them push your buttons. What your dad is doing is emotional abuse. It is NOT parenting. You don't have to believe or be afraid of anything he says BECAUSE IT IS BULL****. Disengage.

I agree on not renting a car, take the truck and your camping gear, and a credit card for emergencies.

Talk to your boss, explain the situation. Ask him if you can call it a "leave of absence" that can be renegotiated when or if you return, and that he isn't obligated to hold your job open for you.

Tell your dad you did not quit. Nothing more.

Hang tough for another two weeks. You can do it!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Well, you survived the fight, no casualties. It wasn't the end of the world, was it?

Are you starting to see how your parents are trying to intimidate you with increasingly empty, meaningless threats? Keep detaching emotionally. Do not let them push your buttons. What your dad is doing is emotional abuse. It is NOT parenting. You don't have to believe or be afraid of anything he says BECAUSE IT IS BULL****. Disengage.

I agree on not renting a car, take the truck and your camping gear, and a credit card for emergencies.

Talk to your boss, explain the situation. Ask him if you can call it a "leave of absence" that can be renegotiated when or if you return, and that he isn't obligated to hold your job open for you.

Tell your dad you did not quit. Nothing more.

Hang tough for another two weeks. You can do it!
I just signed up for AAA if that means anything.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I just signed up for AAA if that means anything.
It means a lot. Every step you take independently without involving your parents is a NATURAL step toward adulthood. I am sorry it has been made so hard for you to cut the apron strings. Your parents are exceptionally overbearing, which means you have to be exceptionally strong to do what all young adults HAVE to do one day. Keep going, there is light at the end of the tunnel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships