U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,123,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It means a lot. Every step you take independently without involving your parents is a NATURAL step toward adulthood. I am sorry it has been made so hard for you to cut the apron strings. Your parents are exceptionally overbearing, which means you have to be exceptionally strong to do what all young adults HAVE to do one day. Keep going, there is light at the end of the tunnel!
True.

The truck thing though, he will never accept it going on a trip like that. It's my truck lock, stock and barrel but he doesn't have much faith in it.

Yeah, and this aggravated me to no end, but, these next two weeks are going to be Hell I know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,629,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
True.

The truck thing though, he will never accept it going on a trip like that. It's my truck lock, stock and barrel but he doesn't have much faith in it.

Yeah, and this aggravated me to no end, but, these next two weeks are going to be Hell I know that.
Why are you waiting?! Just leave! Quit the crying, pack your bags, and get out of there.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 AM

16,801 posts, read 14,467,642 times
Quote:
True.

You still seem hung up on what he will or will not "accept." That's HIS issue, not yours. You can still do what you choose to with or without his "acceptance."

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Also, I am not sure why you are spending so much time in their presence. Don't you have some other place to hang out until they go to bed? Most college students your age spend little to no time at home, even if they live there.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,389,356 times
Well, I am definately a 'planner', and a 'saver,' so, my suggestion would be to at least keep the job & just see if you can take the time off. Then, when you get back, if you have found your grad school, and have a different job lined up, quit. That way, if you do get back and don't have a place to live, or another job, you still have this one to fall back on. I don't see any reason why you can't take a trip to relax, especially if you are going to look at grad schools along the way. I am just always an advocate of having a plan B, just in case.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,785,811 times
Quote:
Not according to him it doesn't. He has no faith in me driving on the interstate, rental car or not. He told me to "think what your doing to me" when I take that trip. How if I screw up, it'll just as well kill him.

According to him, if I screw up on this trip, I take up all my mom's health insurance. Screamed it at me even. Screams at me to not quit my job too.
Quote:
I just signed up for AAA if that means anything.
Quote:
True.

It sounds like your father is afraid of pretty much everything. While it might be interesting to know what's going on with him, it's not your issue right now.

Driving on the Interstate is not difficult. In fact, it's much easier than negotiating traffic in a big city. You just get on and go. Even if, worse case scenario, you had an accident, there's no reason to believe you'd max out your family's insurance benefits. (In fact, under the ACA, I don't think there's a lifetime limit anymore. Not sure about that though.) In any case, you can have an accident driving to work where you live and suffer serious injury. His fear is not grounded in reality.

Signing up for AAA is a good step, especially because it shows you intend to go forward with this trip.

I think your father is using the truck as an excuse to try and keep you home. You said you've maintained it, right? Can you check all the belts and hoses and make sure the tires are in good shape before you leave? Accidents and breakdowns do happen, of course. But there are lots of things you can do to prevent them from happening. You're smart enough to get them all done.

Also, as has been suggested, talk to your boss at the store. Tell him or her what you're doing and that you hope to come back to your job. You understand that they can't hold it, but you'll be reapplying.

If you truly think your parents might throw all your stuff out on the lawn, take the things that are really important to you with you, or store them at a friend's house.

With your parents, keep smiling and nodding. If they start yelling again, try to remain calm and patient, explaining that you're going to take this trip and you'll let them know how you're doing.

And keep letting us know how you're doing. We're rooting for you.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:08 AM

Truck's about to hit the 190,000 miles mark.

Err, some even here said I shouldn't take it.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 AM

7,363 posts, read 13,188,326 times
Quote:
Truck's about to hit the 190,000 miles mark.

Err, some even here said I shouldn't take it.
No one in this thread has advocated for rental cars and just about everyone encouraged you to take your truck and go.

Unless "it" is the road trip you're referring to?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
No one in this thread has advocated for rental cars and just about everyone encouraged you to take your truck and go.

Unless "it" is the road trip you're referring to?
The truck. Trust me, it never gives me trouble and runs like a dream. Just got a new exhaust and AC put in it, engine is fine, battery may need checked.

I'm just worried if it'll survive the trip.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:19 AM

16,801 posts, read 14,467,642 times
Quote:
The truck. Trust me, it never gives me trouble and runs like a dream. Just got a new exhaust and AC put in it, engine is fine, battery may need checked.

Highway driving is good for older vehicles. It is all the stopping and starting on city streets that wears the parts down.

It will be fine. And it it isn't you call AAA and deal with it.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,629,401 times
Quote:

I'm starting to think you're just full of hot air and you're making excuses so can come here and whine about it. Enough is enough. Either ***** or get off the pot. Everybody here has told you to go and yet you're still here. There is some part of this drama that you are enjoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or