U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:43 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,593,274 times

Advertisements

I've become a lot more tolerant of diverse opinions, whether they're political, religious, or aesthetic.

What I've become less tolerant of is gross stupidity. As in people who make decisions in their lives that can't be possibly justified in any way. Decisions that destroy lives, futures, friendships, and a host of other things. Because as I grow older, I realize that some things just can't be squandered: Opportunities, youth, health, trust, and friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,593,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have more tolerance for different lifestyle choices, different styles of parenting, different political views, different religions.

I have less tolerance for poor customer service, dysfunctional family drama (I finally figured out that "personal boundaries" thing!), and BS in general.

When people say, "Wouldn't you love to be twenty five again?" I always ask, "Knowing what I know now, or not knowing what I know now?" If they say, "Oh, no - twenty five with a twenty five year old mentality," I tell them, "No way in hell. I'd rather be 52 and know what I know than 25 in body AND mind."
If I could go back to 15 knowing what I know now, that would be pretty sweet.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,207,281 times
Stronger command of the English vocabulary, grateful study of Mark Twain and those of similar natures, enjoy and actually relish the humor from all cultures, highly developed sense of contrast on pretty much any subject, definitely believe the world is much more violent, feeling a bit more detached frome the herd and grateful,for it.

Other than that, not much has changed. I feel like I'm at a public gathering and the audience has just swelled to a large enough number that one feels they could be swept away if they decided to swim with it.

It's exhausting most days but, in some strange way I feel grateful for having lived this long. Apprehensive about the next thirty some odd years though and by then, will probably be relieved to be leaving. At 87, my Father was and I now can appreciate why.

We all have a window. We try to do the most with it but, when it closes it is probably best that we move on. I cant even imagine what those who have made it to 100 think. You are a kid during WWI and have lived through all of this???...mind boggling.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,653,656 times
I have less tolerance for things that waste my time. Life is too short to waste time.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:26 PM

781 posts, read 592,070 times
I have way less tolerance than I used to, and I started with very little to begin with. The older I get the more time I spend alone. And better yet, the more I enjoy it too. Aah the calm peacefulness....

Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 AM

8,666 posts, read 2,704,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have more tolerance for different lifestyle choices, different styles of parenting, different political views, different religions.

I have less tolerance for poor customer service, dysfunctional family drama (I finally figured out that "personal boundaries" thing!), and BS in general.

When people say, "Wouldn't you love to be twenty five again?" I always ask, "Knowing what I know now, or not knowing what I know now?" If they say, "Oh, no - twenty five with a twenty five year old mentality," I tell them, "No way in hell. I'd rather be 52 and know what I know than 25 in body AND mind."
Agreed, Kathryn.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM

8,932 posts, read 6,466,155 times
I hate getting older. In general and especially when looking for work society looks down on you when you hit this age bracket.

I'm not sure the alternative is worse...

Old 04-21-2014, 02:25 PM

5,904 posts, read 5,255,297 times
More tolerant when it comes to personal freedom. Less tolerant of people that use catch phrases and buzzwords.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM

15,917 posts, read 12,709,689 times
No tolerance for tollerance

Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,227,891 times
Next year I will be 50 and have decided that my life is just beginning. At leas the life that i would like. My kids are teenagers, and great kids, respectful, decent grades and good kids.
My dh and I are happy ; have been married for 26 years. We really just grew together and while we drive each other batty sometimes, its a good batty.
My friends ; I am done with those who are users, only want to come and stay for a free vacation. I am of the opinion that I treat you well, please treat me good back.
My family ; I live so far away that it is hard to keep in touch weekly, and only for one sister, the others never call me.

I hope to get a motorbike license, become a paralegal (in school at the moment) and travel more.

No patience for the small things that take over the world but yet some people focus on those more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or