U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 AM

67 posts, read 81,310 times

Advertisements

I've been a tyrant my entire life, have literally bullied people since kindergarten.

Never once have I ever apologized for a single thing.

If anything, those wimps should thank me for toughening them up, teaching them how to make it in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 AM

13,636 posts, read 8,554,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoivory View Post
I've been a tyrant my entire life, have literally bullied people since kindergarten.

If anything, those wimps should thank me for toughening them up, teaching them how to make it in the real world.
That you, Daddy?

I've been looking everywhere for you. Let's meet in Gatlinburg in mid-July!

Love,

Sue

Old 04-24-2014, 09:27 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,813,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoivory View Post

Well, FWIW, at least you admit it. But as someone who was bullied by my peers, it did not toughen me up, but instead ate away at me, because at the same time, I had to endure constant abuse at the hands of both parents as well as severe pain from health problems, so I had no reserves of strength left over to deal with the bullying. If there was any justice in the world, I'd have made each and every one of my tormentors spend even one day in my sick body and hellish life. I don't feel toughened up at all - just bitter!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 AM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Well, FWIW, at least you admit it. But as someone who was bullied by my peers, it did not toughen me up, but instead ate away at me, because at the same time, I had to endure constant abuse at the hands of both parents as well as severe pain from health problems, so I had no reserves of strength left over to deal with the bullying. If there was any justice in the world, I'd have made each and every one of my tormentors spend even one day in my sick body and hellish life. I don't feel toughened up at all - just bitter!
It did a similar thing to me. It did not make mentally tough. It made me very depressive, angry, and I developed a very short temper as a result. It wasn't my parents that were the problem though. It was other kids I had to deal with. Bullying doesn't toughen people up. It just turns them into angry, bitter people. It has taken me years to get over what happened to me.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 AM

4,009 posts, read 2,054,411 times
you hit it on the head because I often thought about that. She was a narcissist and still is.
I wonder if she had partial aspergers because one of her kids has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Now that goes beyond her simply being a narcissist to full-blown Narcissictic Personality Disorder (NPD) on her part. Wholly oblivious to the hurt she causes and, in fact, she turns the tables and projects the blame for it all back to you.

The most useful description thus far I have seen of this disorder and its telltale characteristics was on the Mayo Clinic website (I even copied-and-pasted the entire article into a new document to save it for myself).

Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,421,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
you hit it on the head because I often thought about that. She was a narcissist and still is.
I wonder if she had partial aspergers because one of her kids has it.

Being knowledgeable in both areas of narcissism and Asperger's Syndrome (of which there are varying levels of severity) and having both a degree in psychology and studying up on these areas over the years, I can say that there is no link or tie-in between having NPD and having Asperger's Syndrome (any more than linking any other two states-of-being together). They have not been found to be co-morbid of co-existent conditions (whereas, in contrast, Asperger's Syndrome and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD are often though not always co-morbid or co-existent conditions).

As to "narcissism", everyone (including myself and yourself and everyone one) can manifest an "element" of narcissism here-and-there or on an isolated occasion. But when it has a persistence in one's overall interpersonal relating repertoire of behaviors (as though it is a way-of-life for the pareticular person), then it is postulated that this is indicative of it being an outright disorder (which has been given the name "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" or NPD). That is, it comes to characterize the person's overall personality type.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 AM

9,228 posts, read 18,925,968 times
Bravo! I'm really weary of people on these forums automatically labeling people "narcissists," "sociopaths" whenever someone described is self-centered or mean to others, or assigning Asberger's disorder to anyone who seems to have difficulty reading social cues.

Some mean people might be mean because of a mental health disorder, but the majority of people who are mean are just choosing to be mean because of some motivation or pay-off they experience.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,753,950 times
Come to think of it, there was one girl who picked on me for a good two years and we later became friends, but I don't remember if she apologized or not. She had a lot of problems at home. Sometimes I wonder what became of her.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,845,962 times
Had a high school classmate apologize to me for being such a jerk throughout high school. I attended a boarding school and unfortunately she was my roommate for a semester. Never could stand her---even 30+ years later.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 PM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
I was on facebook some months ago and stumbled upon an fb status regarding bullying. Alot of my old classmates have children(I turn 28 tomorrow and I have no kids, no wife or gf either). This person was not one of my tormentors. Another person was. Both persons were in agreement that it would be scary to send their kids into middle school knowing the bullying that takes place. I thought "yeah, it would be, you were one of the persons who did make fun of me in middle school". The person I speak of was a girl I went to middle school with. Softball players turned cheerleader. She seemed to be so popular. Me and her never got along very well. Towards my junior year we did start to get along better. Not really close friends by any stretch, but more civil to one another. I remembered her as the popular, athletic cheerleader. Now she's a mother of three. I do remember one apology she gave me, and it was right around my sophomore year. It is amazing how being a mother could change someone's perception of things.

There are times when I wonder if bullies do face justice. In alot of cases, many bullies don't face their comeuppance. I remember being on facebook one night and I found a picture of someone's 8th grade formal. Two of my tormentors were in that picture. I looked at the picture with a kind of jealousy/disgust/regret. They seemed to be quite happy. One of them was a football player. To me, I just felt like "bullies get all the breaks. Why?". The one I'm speaking of managed to snag two girlfriends between 7th grade and 8th grade. I could see the superficial reasons(being a football player, having a Tom Cruise-esque kind of look albeit with dirty-blond hair). However, the fact that he was a bully, it was like the old adage of "nice guys finish last". I remember a few other bullies, who were basically sociopaths, one of them a major racist. None of them apologized to me for anything they did. In fact, some of them probably forgot what they did. The wife of one of my tormentors wanted to add me on facebook. I haven't answered because of something she did when we were both in high school. I didn't feel like I could trust that she had changed.

One thing about being bullied is this. Bullies sometimes forget what they did. The bullied never forget what was done to them. I think this is why we hope to get apologies from those who have bullied us. We haven't forgotten and we hurt deep inside. We want the hurt to go away. Sometimes we would like to think that the bully probably changed, or got their comeuppance somewhere. Sometimes a bully gets what's coming. Other times a bully gets all the breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships