U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:23 AM

2,498 posts, read 2,534,078 times

Advertisements

Once. A young lady was mean, gossipy, nasty, said hurtful things about my family and me.

Then one day she found herself in a room with me and two other managers hoping for her first job out of college. She caught up with me later and said "I didn't know what you did for a living. I suppose I have no chance [at the job]. That you'll hold it against me for not liking you, cuz I'm sorry."

I don't think she really meant it, though.

lolol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:10 PM

9,962 posts, read 6,153,513 times
One did. I didn't accept his apology. He later passed away.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:57 PM

10,614 posts, read 13,160,417 times
I did, From a guy from my old neighborhood after running into him on the subway. I accepted the apology, Actually exchanged numbers with him but we never kept in touch much and I lost his number when my phone broke. He was real mean as a kid and his life as an adult had him still living at home late in life with his mother, And he was calm and friendly but seemed sheltered and a bit strange as an adult. I don't regret accepting the apology but maybe not being friends was for the best.

There were a couple of other bad guys from the old neighborhood, all wound up with difficult lives in regard to relationships, legal issues, etc as adults due to their own design. Some people never change or outgrow things.

Last edited by D. Scott; 02-17-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 PM

2,851 posts, read 918,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Have you ever had a former bully or tormentor apologize to you at some later time?
I still laugh when I think about this... some 45 years later....

I was about 10 years old. I'm an only child, and I grew up in South Florida...
We had a fenced in back yard that I'd often play in. There were no kids of my age on my block, so I often played alone in the back yard.

As an only, I found ways to do that pretty well. I'd get a kick ball, kick it into the chain length fence, and it would return it to me... It kept me busy, and I managed to mostly keep the ball in my own yard.

I was a scrawny kid when I was growing up. Funny thing now is, I'm 6 foot 4 and a half inches, and about 230lbs... I kind of out grew that scrawny kid syndrome... lol

The neighborhood bully lived on the next block. He was (is) 3 years older than me. One day while in the back yard kicking the ball against the fence, he and his best friend were cutting through the next door neighbors yard to go to his house... just as I had launched the ball over the chain linked fence.

Seeing the ball on the other side of my fence, we'll call him 'Gilbert' (cause that's his real name... lol - what's he gonna do to me now? NOTHING!... ) got the ball and started teasing me about not giving my ball back. He and his friend Billy were tossing the ball back and forth to each other, not sending it back on my side of the fence.

Although I was scrawny, I was tall for my age. I got annoyed with their not giving the ball back, and I very firmly told Gilbert to give my ball back. He laughed, Billy told him to give it back to me - and Gilbert just laughed at me and asked, "Why don't you come over the fence and get it yourself?"

Still to this day not having a clue as to what possessed me to do this, I ran and jumped / climbed over the fence, and landed on top of Gilbert. When he landed with me on top of him, I knocked the wind out of him, as my ball rolled farther into the neighbors back yard. His head hit the ground and he was very much out of breath. I got up (quickly) and got the ball. I had to walk past both he and Billy - and Billy simply got out of my way while I climbed back over the fence into my back yard. Billy tended to help Gilbert up, and they went on their way... From that day forward, Gilbert never EVER picked on me again and, as I got older and played in the local park, he'd often pick me to be on his team.

A few years later, I'm living in a triplex a few miles from my old house. My best friend and I - who lived in the same complex - were in the street one day, passing a football, with a cooler of iced beer near us. The house across the street from my triplex was for rent, and here comes a U-Haul. My friend Scott and I get out of the road to let the truck back into the driveway of the apparently newly rented house. As I look to see who our new neighbor is, low and behold it's Gilbert!

He didn't look at us - but went into the house... I impishly laughed and called Scott over to walk to the door with me. He had no clue as to what was going on... but went with me none the less....

I loudly knocked on the door, and Gilbert quickly came to answer it. I looked at him and said, "Is your name Gilbert (last name here) - with a very angry voice. He stuttered to answer 'Yes' - and explain that he didn't have an idea who I was... (that's cause I was a LOT taller/bigger/stronger) than I was the last time we saw each other.

I mentioned something about how he used to kick my butt when we were kids and told him he had this coming to him, as I reached opened the door more, and drug him by his shirt... (I was laughing my butt off inside, but looking VERY intimidating on the outside... )

When I got him into the front yard, I handed him a beer I had taken from my cooler and laughed and said, 'It's been a long time, uh Gilbert?' at which point he recognized me (and I saw his relief when I didn't kick HIS butt as he used to do mine....).

When we were younger, his dad worked at a local jail/prison and was a guard there. He'd come home from work - beat his kids, and his wife - and Gilbert's attitude was a product of that violence. We were never close friends as adults, but I gained his respect, as he once told me of his father's actions, and said he was sorry that he used to pick on me. It wasn't a tear filled moment of forgiveness, but, it'll do.

Last edited by TUMF; 02-17-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships