U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,476,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Oh for God's sake.

Who do you think FOUGHT for your right to be an outspoken little douche?

Who stood between you and speaking Nazi German?

Who INVENTED the internet, then learnt to use it, and teach our kids (you) to use it?

Oh yes those annoying old people.

Listen kid you better start being grateful. YOU find another bar, they've been there for much, much longer than you.

Heck, some of them possibly BUILT that bar, with their own hands.

You go and find somewhere to hang out where you can all talk about fakebook and how cool your instagram is. The company of Gen Y-should-I is JUST AS IRRITATING to us with all your lip piercings and stupid tattoos and total disregard for your elders and betters.

WHY are you hanging out in an old persons bar in the first place, HIPSTER? Go get your "cool" friends and open your own where you can dictate who's entitled to a cold beer and a hot meal, and who's not.

Oh that's right you can't because you have no money, no common sense, no life experience, no one who can hold back an emo attack for more than half an hour because they're not being treated like a special little prince.

We're all doomed.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my all time favorite posts on this thread are the ones that say, if i were old i would never act like that.
there is a great song in "cabaret" called
what would you do.
cabaret songs what would you do - Bing Videos

these posts are like the CDF internet tough guy posts
try being old first b4 you judge.
I AM old (70) and I DON'T act like that. Maybe you mean even older?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 PM

31,988 posts, read 36,621,015 times
IDK, It's worse coming on here and listening to the 20 somethings complain about their credit card debt and why things were so much easier 40-50 years ago.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,748,503 times
LOL. Get the CD of this Twilight Zone episode "Kick The Can", and every time they come in, play it on all your video screens.

The Twilight Zone S03 E21 Kick The Can - YouTube

Ask them to teach you some card games? Ask them who was best big band? Best 50s-60s era musicians, then re theme your bar for a day and play that music over there complaining and call it hip oldster days afternoons? Market it.

Have friendly competitions such as best wheel chair dancer? Best walker dancer? Karaoke? Have fun with them (within reason).

Have them tell you their where were you when: JFK stories, Moon landing stories, etc.... compile a living history afternoon or see what those who may have artistic talents may want to show off? Get some good press for it on the local mass media broadcast stations?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 6,528,840 times
Jerks, idiots, fools, and assh*les exist in every age group.

Is this news to anyone?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,870,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my all time favorite posts on this thread are the ones that say, if i were old i would never act like that.
there is a great song in "cabaret" called
what would you do.
cabaret songs what would you do - Bing Videos

these posts are like the CDF internet tough guy posts
try being old first b4 you judge.
Geez Huck, that's a low blow...

Kind of like saying: CDF, where all the victims unite...

Since when is there an age limit to being polite?

Unfortunately I hear "I'm old, I don't need to sugarcoat things." Well, that's fine. Direct feedback works with me. But don't complain when people aren't really interested in hearing your opinion then.

Just because someone is cranky about where their life is, am I supposed to say "yeah sorry about that, that's a bad break, etc." while a lady friend and I are trying to enjoy a sandwich? Or join in on their "If it wasn't for %&#% (insert minority), there would be less problems where you work" conversations?

Early on I engaged in conversation with a number of these patrons. The ones that aren't whining all the time I still converse with. Being compassionate is one thing, being a dishrag is another. Thx NY A.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:42 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,870,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
A lot of bars and whole neighborhoods change all the time.
One bartender can turn a working class neighborhood bar into a hip singles bar...
or a gay bar...a few diff ethnic groups move into Brooklyn and it goes from Irish, to Jewish, to
Afro American to Puerto Rican to Korean....
Sounds like the ole bar crowd may have to move on...

I know all about the elderly...and the chips on their shoulders for decades...very few went to therapy
to become healthy adults...blame is the name of the game...and victimization...bla bla....
Good points. Neighborhood culture can change in a few short years, local businesses even less time. Lived through it in (or was part of it) in Chicago. Starts one business/house at a time....I don't think any of the area restaurants will close, nor will locals have to go elsewhere.

Maybe taverns at these complexes could be staffed by students aspiring for degrees in social work or psychology. Could be like an internship...they would get first hand experience in dealing with eldercare issues and college credit. (Young people interaction - check, counselling - check, getting out of dwelling - check) sounds like a winner.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 10,782,915 times
I would not mind going to a bar with senior clientele,even though i am approaching that age( i am 32).

You won't have to be worried about being in a fight for one..its safer!
I like oldies music of every genre,but i can only listen to so much of Miley Cyrus,if at all.
They actually TALK! Honestly,i preferred the pts over the staff,esp talking about personal things like money matters.

The biggest turn off though was the prejudices many elderly have!

Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,891,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

Early on I engaged in conversation with a number of these patrons. The ones that aren't whining all the time I still converse with. Being compassionate is one thing, being a dishrag is another. Thx NY A.

You've inadvertently made your rant about 'old people' at this bar useless by this statement.
Obviously it's a problem with certain people, being old has nothing to do with it other than their complaining revolves around issues common to some elderly people.
Are you trying to get us to believe that there aren't younger loud AH bores that go there?
I owned bars for 20 years. If you try to tell me it's the old people that are the ones that are the most objectionable, I simply won't believe you and say that if it seems so in your favorite watering holes, then you're just giving the younger ones a pass

Old 04-22-2014, 04:35 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,573,083 times
Im 67 so some would see that as old..... I dont do the things said of older folk on here and I dont think they do either.. its mixed , I was flying a kite yesterday on a beach with two grandkids and rolling easter eggs the day before with four of the kids... I know though of some older folk who can be annoying but maybe at a certain age we become more forgetful and childlike... I was in a busy shopping centre with my 85 year old aunt and she stops dead in the middle of an aisle holding up others and puts her trolley sideways across the aisle and goes for a wander..blocking it for others and I have to run and get it for her... hahaha... mmmm can get annoying .. but young folk are annoying too in their ways..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships