Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,211 times

Advertisements

My sister in law made a snarky comment to my mother on FB. My mother will not stand up for herself...but it really is HER business on how she deals with it. My brother and his wife and his children, really, do not have much to do with my mother, but when they do it's always some snarkey comment or opinion. I really want to put a stop to this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
My sister in law made a snarky comment to my mother on FB. My mother will not stand up for herself...but it really is HER business on how she deals with it. My brother and his wife and his children, really, do not have much to do with my mother, but when they do it's always some snarkey comment or opinion. I really want to put a stop to this...
... and there is the answer.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
... and there is the answer.
Okay. I will let her deal with it.

I just wish, she would stand up for herself, but I should be satisfied about MY relationship with her, AND the relationship my teen and young adult child have with her. Focus on the positive.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
If it's a pattern, you can show your mother how to hide the SIL's posts so she won't be subjected to her comments. Or, she can change her settings so the SIL doesn't see what she posts.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:07 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
as for facebook, you might casually mention that she can 'unfriend' someone. She probably won't. You could also say something to your brother.

Or you could stay out of it.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,198,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If it's a pattern, you can show your mother how to hide the SIL's posts so she won't be subjected to her comments. Or, she can change her settings so the SIL doesn't see what she posts.
Yep. If it bothers your mom, show her how to unfollow people and hide them in her feed. If the SIL is making snide comments on your mom's page, show your mom how to exclude your SIL from seeing the things your mom writes. If it's really bad, show your mom how to use the Restricted list. It won't unfriend your SIL, but your SIL will not see status updates, etc.

But go with manually excluding the SIL from what your mom writes, first, just to avoid drama. You could make a list of your SIL and her family, and your mom can make everyone but that list her default for status updates, etc. Then she can occasionally throw your SIL a bone by allowing her to see a cute picture of an animal or a funny news story or something now and then, so she doesn't suspect she has been excluded.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Somewhere I do not *see* where immaturity has anything to do
with being concerned about not standing up against snarky remarks.

On the other hand if anybody *thinks* they are immature, they probably are ?

In my book:
The OP is a kind hearted person, and the one making the snarky remarks is immature !
The *victim* either *really does not care*, or says
*Oh well, I forgive her*. It takes a person with a big heart to do this!!!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Somewhere I do not *see* where immaturity has anything to do
with being concerned about not standing up against snarky remarks.

On the other hand if anybody *thinks* they are immature, they probably are ?

In my book:
The OP is a kind hearted person, and the one making the snarky remarks is immature !
The *victim* either *really does not care*, or says
*Oh well, I forgive her*. It takes a person with a big heart to do this!!!
Well, it IS my mother so I am biased.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Yep. If it bothers your mom, show her how to unfollow people and hide them in her feed. If the SIL is making snide comments on your mom's page, show your mom how to exclude your SIL from seeing the things your mom writes. If it's really bad, show your mom how to use the Restricted list. It won't unfriend your SIL, but your SIL will not see status updates, etc.

But go with manually excluding the SIL from what your mom writes, first, just to avoid drama. You could make a list of your SIL and her family, and your mom can make everyone but that list her default for status updates, etc. Then she can occasionally throw your SIL a bone by allowing her to see a cute picture of an animal or a funny news story or something now and then, so she doesn't suspect she has been excluded.
I may inform her of that option.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
as for facebook, you might casually mention that she can 'unfriend' someone. She probably won't. You could also say something to your brother.

Or you could stay out of it.
It is better to stay out of it, to be frank, my brother is pretty much well...he tries not to butt heads with his wife. They have three boys together etc. etc. I stay away from them. I hate to be like that but they have this tendency to belittle my mom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships