U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,274,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You must have missed the post where the OP claimed actual fences are not permitted.
The issue isn't the neighbors dogs, it's the cat roaming free. Invisible fences work well in most cases. Sometimes they need to be tweaked to make a bigger impression on the dogs. But, remember, the dogs are new, and still learning the boundaries.

The cat also ran into the street, the dog was chasing the cat. Either pet could have come to an untimely end under those circumstances.
If fences are not permitted, then the owners should not have dogs who won't stay in the yard outside without a leash. Once again, it is NOT the OP's fault that the neighbors can't control their dogs. And once again, it didn't have to be a cat - dogs will chase many animals, vehicles, people, etc. Not to mention, there are feral cats in most areas (and the OP even said there's a feral cat in that neighborhood). If the neighbors don't want their dogs getting run over, then either "tweak" the invisible fence so it actually works, or keep the dogs on leashes, or hey, what about actually training them?

If the neighbor's dogs got run over and killed, and the neighbors were to take the OP to court saying that her cat was too tempting for the dogs not to chase over their invisible fence, the judge would dismiss the lawsuit. 1) Cats are legally allowed to roam free. 2) It's not anyone's responsibility but the owner of the dog, to make sure the dog stays in the correct yard.

So if I own a dog who I know gets out of my yard because all I have is an ineffective invisible fence, and my dog runs out of the yard to chase a cat, and in the process smashes into a young child, knocking the child to the ground and injuring the child, is that the cat owner's fault? NOPE. Legally, it is the dog owner's fault - it is the dogs who would possibly get picked up by animal control, and it is the dog's owner who would be paying any medical bills.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that legally, if the neighbor's dogs run into the street, actually manage to catch the cat and kill it, the OP could sue the neighbors. Again, a cat is legally allowed to roam free, and a dog isn't. It is the neighbors responsibility to make sure their dogs stay in their yard. They are ignoring their own responsibility. If they are purposefully trying to capture the cat and "relocate" it or drop it off to a shelter, they are also in the process of trying to do something illegal. The neighbors are entitled and crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,243,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I thought these neighbors moved in last year. It could be they've been putting up with the feral cat all this time and they've finally had enough?

What "feral cat"?????? The cat she's speaking of is her pet, not a feral. Do you even know what a feral cat is?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,243,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Your neighbors sound uptight. Trapping squirrels and threatening to trap your cat just seems crazy. Their dogs getting out of their yard is not your fault. These people sound very controlling. I would be worried that they will follow through and try to trap your cat so I'd be cautious.

I would be worried as well. One thing I would do is to get the cat microchipped, this way, if the lunatic traps the cat and takes it to the shelter or drops it somewhere, they can scan it and call you to get the cat back to you.

I know that I've found dogs, etc, and if it doesn't have a collar with a tag, I bring it to a vet office and ask them to scan it for a microchip. I've reunited several dogs with their owners this way.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,274,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
What "feral cat"?????? The cat she's speaking of is her pet, not a feral. Do you even know what a feral cat is?
I think the OP said there was a feral cat in the neighborhood who all the other neighbors know about, but the problem neighbors claim not to have seen.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:47 PM

13,135 posts, read 20,695,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
If fences are not permitted, then the owners should not have dogs who won't stay in the yard outside without a leash. Once again, it is NOT the OP's fault that the neighbors can't control their dogs. And once again, it didn't have to be a cat - dogs will chase many animals, vehicles, people, etc. Not to mention, there are feral cats in most areas (and the OP even said there's a feral cat in that neighborhood). If the neighbors don't want their dogs getting run over, then either "tweak" the invisible fence so it actually works, or keep the dogs on leashes, or hey, what about actually training them?

If the neighbor's dogs got run over and killed, and the neighbors were to take the OP to court saying that her cat was too tempting for the dogs not to chase over their invisible fence, the judge would dismiss the lawsuit. 1) Cats are legally allowed to roam free. 2) It's not anyone's responsibility but the owner of the dog, to make sure the dog stays in the correct yard.

So if I own a dog who I know gets out of my yard because all I have is an ineffective invisible fence, and my dog runs out of the yard to chase a cat, and in the process smashes into a young child, knocking the child to the ground and injuring the child, is that the cat owner's fault? NOPE. Legally, it is the dog owner's fault - it is the dogs who would possibly get picked up by animal control, and it is the dog's owner who would be paying any medical bills.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that legally, if the neighbor's dogs run into the street, actually manage to catch the cat and kill it, the OP could sue the neighbors. Again, a cat is legally allowed to roam free, and a dog isn't. It is the neighbors responsibility to make sure their dogs stay in their yard. They are ignoring their own responsibility. If they are purposefully trying to capture the cat and "relocate" it or drop it off to a shelter, they are also in the process of trying to do something illegal. The neighbors are entitled and crazy.
Yes, it's the owner's responsibility to keep their dogs in their yard. I don't dispute that. By the same token, the dogs should be allowed to be in their yard, without a free roaming cat coming in to drive them crazy.

Once again, what's the responsibility of a dog owner, should hold true for a cat owner. The END.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:51 PM

4,549 posts, read 9,723,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The op is not responsible for the neighbor's dogs breaking past their invisible fence barrier and running into the street. That is the neighbor's problem with controlling his dogs and unrelated to the cat. If the cat gets into their yard then I can see that being a problem but it's not the cat owner's fault that these dogs left their property and chased her cat into the street.
You must have missed the part where she mentioned that they told her the cat was getting into THEIR yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post

It would seem you also missed the part where in this neighborhood everyone is okay with their dogs roaming freely. The new neighbor seems to be the only one making an effort to keep their dogs fenced. So really everyone in that neighborhood should be worried that their dog will do harm to a child, etc. That actually would be my biggest worry. What if someone has a child visit who is deathly afraid of dogs and someone's "free roaming dog" runs up to the child, bites, who knows what?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:53 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,901,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmom87 View Post
I have two dogs and love animals, but can promise that they could catch a cat. I keep my dogs on leash or in my yard and would not want a cat in my yard. I would feel horrible if my dog injured a cat, but it is a natural instinct. You are worried about squirrels, but it is very probable that your cat is killing birds.

There are leash laws for cats, but most people ignore them. Would it be okay for my dog to roam the neighborhood, pooping in your yard? That is what your outdoor cars is doing. Sorry, but I age with the neighbor. Just because they just moved in has nothing to do with it.

totally agree. People must be responsible pet parents and having an outdoor cat is not being responsible.
Besides the dangers the cat must endure, they are also pests to others. I work hard on my landscaping only to have "outdoor" cats tear into my flower beds and use various spaces around my yard as their litter box. And yes they do kill other creatures. And they climb under the hoods of cars and get murdered when the car is started.
I would never,ever allow my dogs out without a leash and my cats live indoors.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:55 PM

552 posts, read 696,996 times
Pets are only good for one thing: a food source when society breaks down.

a 25 cent 9mm will solve those pet problems you and your neighbors have.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:05 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,639,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
You must have missed the part where she mentioned that they told her the cat was getting into THEIR yard.
I was told that but have yet to see it happen.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM

13,135 posts, read 20,695,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I was told that but have yet to see it happen.
Oh come on. You admit your cat has been roaming freely for years, yet somehow think the cat steers clear of the yard right next door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or