U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 PM

13,140 posts, read 20,709,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmom87 View Post
I have two dogs and love animals, but can promise that they could catch a cat. I keep my dogs on leash or in my yard and would not want a cat in my yard. I would feel horrible if my dog injured a cat, but it is a natural instinct. You are worried about squirrels, but it is very probable that your cat is killing birds.

There are leash laws for cats, but most people ignore them. Would it be okay for my dog to roam the neighborhood, pooping in your yard? That is what your outdoor cars is doing. Sorry, but I age with the neighbor. Just because they just moved in has nothing to do with it.
Cats kill over a BILLION birds yearly.

My dogs won't leave my yard. So, if they hurt a cat, that's on the cat owner, not me. The neighbor said the cat was going into his yard, which the OP has chosen not to believe, yet admits the cat has roamed the neighborhood for a long time.

A cat being chased by a dog is just as likely to be hit by a car as a dog could be.

Another vote for the neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 PM

12,224 posts, read 17,926,900 times
Tell your stupid neighbors to get a real fence that their dog can't escape from.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:59 PM

513 posts, read 596,383 times
I'm not a cat person but I live in a major city and there are tons of outdoor cats and strays. Nobody has an electric fence either. Everyone uses a leash and/or fence. Plus a lot of us feed the squirrels. My daughter and I save the bread/crackers we have leftover from the day and throw them outside for the birds and squirrels to eat. She loves watching them come grab the food and bury it.

Trapping them is barbaric. How would they feel if someone "trapped" one of their dogs and drove them miles away and left them.

I have a Saint Bernard and she tries to "protect" us from birds, squirrels, cats, etc. but if a cat came in our backyard and she tried going after it she wouldn't get far bc of a leash and fence. If she ran into the street after a cat, it would be my fault for not having my dog properly restrained. It's not my job and is impossible to control every animal she may see, but it is my job and NOT impossible to control MY animal.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 AM

223 posts, read 262,604 times
Does your cat roam outside your property?

Our neighbor's cats would roam in our property. It drives me crazy because their cats would poop in our garden and backyard! It also stresses out my dogs. I keep my dogs within our property so they should also do the same with their cats.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:06 AM

19,666 posts, read 19,779,572 times
Just because most current laws allow freedom to cats that dogs are deprived of does not mean it fair or reasonable.
Even people who object to having cats roaming around seldom say or do anything about it since the law is usually not on their side so jut because nobody has complained all these years doesn't mean they like it.
You let your cat run free, it's on you what happens to it
If you want to be a good neighbor, let your new neighbors in on the advantages of the squirrel proof feeders since they may be unfamiliar with them and relocating whatever squirrels they trap is a fruitless measure. But don't hold it against them just because you think your cat has special rights to be a pest.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 AM

14,566 posts, read 8,397,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'll give my opinion, but you won't like it. I have dogs, and I have an invisible fence. If a cat strays into my yard, that's the cat's problem, not mine. But, I guarantee you, the cat won't like the outcome. The onus is on you to keep your cat out of other people's yards, not the other people to leash their dogs for your convenience.
+1. I don't really understand the attitude many cat owners have that cats should have the run of the neighborhood just because they are cats. I own two Great Danes. When they are outdoors and I am not walking them, they are kept in my securely fenced backyard. One of my Great Danes kills cats. I don't like that she does this, but that's the way she's always been. A few cats have strayed into our yard over the years. The ones who weren't faster than she is suffered an unfortunate fate.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:31 AM

35,121 posts, read 40,013,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to trap and relocate wildlife.

If they trap your cat and bring it to the shelter, I'm about 99% positive that is illegal as well.

I had a scummy neighbor who used to try to trap peoples' cats. There was no fence between our yards. I simply walked onto his property when he wasn't home and broke and smashed his trap and picked it up and threw it near his trash cans. I'm sure he didn't want to have to keep buying traps because he never had one after that.

COWARDS do things like this to animals and you should tell your neighbor that!

Yet you waited until your neighbor was gone to go on his property and destroy a trap that you did not like or pay for?

Original Poster: There is not much you can do except contain your cat. We have an outdoor cat and she has been taught her boundries and she does not cross those boundries. Either contain your cat properly or teach your cat those boundries.

New neighbors always equal changes that you may or may not like. As far as the squirrels go, squirrel babies and all other babies die everyday from neglect, it happens, it is part of nature.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 AM

13,782 posts, read 18,694,469 times
Why is it that ever time you find a nice neighborhood to live in there is always one a hole neighbor that thinks they can dictate the rules of the community ...sorry but I try to get along with all of my neighbors but the first time you make an issue of something trivial such as a cat causing your dog to run across the street you are not a good neighbor in my opinion and you should get a real fence you know the one that is called a chain link...I hate to tell you what I would have told them LOL .I agree you should keep to yourself and ignore those barbarians and they sound crotchety ...Next thing you know it will be your kids are making too much noise . Oh well too bad you moved into a neighborhood that has kids .

Old 04-23-2014, 05:27 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,683,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Cats kill over a BILLION birds yearly.

My dogs won't leave my yard. So, if they hurt a cat, that's on the cat owner, not me. The neighbor said the cat was going into his yard, which the OP has chosen not to believe, yet admits the cat has roamed the neighborhood for a long time.

A cat being chased by a dog is just as likely to be hit by a car as a dog could be.

Another vote for the neighbor.
Domesticated cats are not part of the food chain.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,163,090 times
okay please someone give me a brand name of a squirrel proof buffer or bird feeder. I have bought several that claim to be squirrel proof and the squirrels have always gotten them open. Never even heard of a "buffer". As far as roaming cats and dogs - if you let them roam, you have to accept that there are risks involved. I lived on a large farm years ago, my dog roamed freely until one day the farmer down the road told me that if he saw my dog on his property again he would shoot her. I moved within 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or