Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 AM

13,375 posts, read 28,625,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It is completely different. Cats are not native predators. They are not killing for food. They are non-native, which means they are not kept in balance by the ecosystem, and in fact disrupt it. They kill for sport, not to eat, and they kill more than any natural predator would. They are kept well fed, well energized and healthy by owners, so their behavior and kill rate is not at all natural for a predator. Also, since they are non-native predators, native wildlife has no natural defenses against them. Species such as mourning doves have not evolved in the presence of a small, ground-dwelling predator that can climb, so they fall to these predators at abnormal rates, as do many other birds and small mammals. So cats are completely different from other predators. They are not part of the local ecosystem at all - they are harmful to it. But it's not their fault, of course, and I have nothing against cats - just ignorant cat owners.
There are many articles out there that dispute this, cats are indeed predators. Why do you think back in the day so many farms had "barn cats"??? That's not to say that I think it's ok to just let your cat out unsupervised to wander and prowl.Mine goes out supervised, she never leaves the yard.

Cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,650,786 times
No, I know nothing about cats even though in the 37 years I've been married we've always had a couple. Why people think it's okay to let their cats roam freely is beyond me. They usually live violent short lives and inflict property damage (peeing on everything, scratching, etc.) and like to eat birds by the billions. OP wasn't remotely controlling her cat and wonders why neighbor is upset.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 AM

13,375 posts, read 28,625,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
No, I know nothing about cats even though in the 37 years I've been married we've always had a couple. Why people think it's okay to let their cats roam freely is beyond me. They usually live violent short lives and inflict property damage (peeing on everything, scratching, etc.) and like to eat birds by the billions. OP wasn't remotely controlling her cat and wonders why neighbor is upset.
I already stated several times my cat goes out during the nice weather in the daytime supervised, she does not freely roam the neighborhood.

You stated you have no love of cats it's your wife, so by having no love for them there is more than likely a few things you don't know about them because you don't have the interest which is fine.

Mine is 10 years old and my two prior cats lived to 17 and 18 years old.

If you get them when they are kittens there are things you can train them to do, patience is the key

36,029 posts, read 30,543,227 times
Quote:

Personally, I'd like to put my crazy neighbors in a cage and transplant them
elsewhere. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is this normal? What, if
anything can be done about this? Thoughts/opinions about this please!
Not that bad but I know where your coming from. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do other than talk to a game warden about the trapping of squirrels, I'm pretty sure that is a no no.

I am fortunate that my neighbors (even the transplants) are all cool about the occasional pet wandering as all of our pets may have at one time or another wandered onto adjoining property.

I cant imagine my reaction if a neighbor had threatened to trap my pet and take it to a shelter. Its one thing if your pet is being a real nuisance or causing damage and a neighbor asks you to do something about it, but threats over something like this is ridiculous.

6,126 posts, read 10,078,578 times
OP sounds like the nasty neighbor IMO. Just because everyone else in the neighborhood is okay with other people's pets coming into their yards doesn't make it wrong that your new neighbors don't feel the same way. I HATE cats that roam the neighborhood. I just bought a new house and every time I'm there working, I've noticed there are always cats walking through my yard and it pisses me off. When I start living there with my dogs, my dogs are going to go nuts with cats walking through their yard all the time. I don't let my dogs wander onto other people's property and I expect the same courtesy.

I don't have anything against cats, but unless you live on a giant farm with no neighbors, you should keep your cat inside.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 AM

36,029 posts, read 30,543,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
This makes no sense. Why do you say it's the neighbors' problem because they can't control their dogs, when the OP is not even trying to control her cat? Did you know that the average lifespan for an outdoor cat is less than 5 years, while an indoor cats lives at least twice that? Informed people who care about their cats don't let their cats roam outside.
Meh, IMO pets live too long these days. Two of my cats are on their 5th year so guess they aren't long for this world.

It is the neighbors responsibility to keep their dogs on their property. When I lived in town I had 3 Rottweilers in a large kennel. The neighbor 3 doors down had a little dog who occasionally would slip under their fence, prance down to my house, run back and forth along the outside of my kennel sending my dogs into a frenzy then very politely prance back home. It was hilarious. But the point is it was MY responsibility to keep my dogs in that kennel to protect them from whatever. It was her job to keep her dog in. If my dogs had managed to get ahold of her dog, that's on her. If my dogs got loose and were hit by a car, that's on me. I would never have trapped her dog and taken it off.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,290,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
There are many articles out there that dispute this, cats are indeed predators. Why do you think back in the day so many farms had "barn cats"??? That's not to say that I think it's ok to just let your cat out unsupervised to wander and prowl.Mine goes out supervised, she never leaves the yard.

Cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Of course they are PREDATORS. But they are not NATIVE predators. They are just one more unnecessary disruption in the ecosystem. In Australia, cats are responsible for the extinction of native species.

I have no problems with barn cats - they're the most effective way to keep a barn free of mice and rats. But there's no reason for someone in a suburban or urban area to have an outside cat.

There's also nothing wrong with cats being supervised outside, but this isn't about supervised cats. It's about a cat that just roams freely and causes chaos in an area where people live in fairly close proximity to each other.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,729,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Should never collar an outdoor cat. Too many things, brush, branches etc can get caught in the collar and keep him trapped or worse. Micro chip yes, collar no

There are collars that break away if a cat gets caught on something. Our neighbor went through them like water with her cat but the bell would alert the birds so they could escape. I never minded having her cat use one of my flower beds as a kitty box. He kept the rabbit and mice population down and for years we had zero mice in our yard. Our other neighbor would trap the squirrels which I would release because he said the squirrels were digging up his newly planted flowers. Well as it turned out our neighbors cat was digging up his flowers. He caught him red handed digging away. Our cat is a yardie but on occasion she did manage to escape the creative fencing I had around to keep her contained. I don't personally believe that people should let cats roam the neighborhood, but noting is concrete when it comes to animals and their creativity. The neighbors knew my cat and would call me if they saw her roaming around. I would go and get her and leave her in the house until I could figure out where she was getting out. I did not want her using the neighborhood as her personal cat box, nor did I want her getting hurt.

OP I'm hoping your new neighbors invest in a real fence for their dogs. They have a legal obligation to keep them contained and if they're electric isn't working then they need to come up with a better solution. They also have a legitimate complaint about your cat being in their yard. A good fence might kill two birds with one stone, either one put in by your new neighbors, or you creating a large fenced in area for your cat.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,501,806 times
I had some neighbors who didnt like my cats wondering on their yard although just like you, my cats and I have been there before they moved in. We argued about it, I volunteered to buy them a sprinkler for the cats and yelled at me it's their yard and they shouldn't be obliged to do anything to it to keep my cats off, I cursed them (in my head). Consequently we don;t seak to each other since. They are weird, but not as weird as to do something bad to my cats. They only threatened to trap them and take them to Humaine society. That would annoy me, but my cats are chipped so I'd get them back. Luckily I moved.
As for your neighbor I'd report him for relocating wild life. He sounds like a moron. Make sure you chip your cat and make her wear a collar with your address and phone #. You never know what the moron is capable of. Also his dog escaping the invisible fence and chasing cats/squirrels is his problem. If his dog gets hit by a car is his fault for not keeping his dog in a safe environment, not yours for letting your cat wander.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,501,806 times
To anyone complaining about cats peeing in their yard or flowers: put coffee grounds from your filter, after you make coffee. Flowers can benefit from the minerals but cats don;t like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships