Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I guess you aren't reading my posts. So, according to you, the next time their dogs wander into my yard
I should call animal control? Is that what your saying?
Dogs get in my yard all the time. If I know the owner i return the pet to them.if not, I look for a collar and call the nearest vet to see about a chip. I would never trap an animal and take it to a shelter unless it was obviously homeless. It doesn't matter if it's a cat or dog.

Geez. Some of you posters are extremely bad neighbors. Pets get out. Dogs bark. Dogs and cats poop. Children laugh really loud. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Your neighbors sound uptight. Trapping squirrels and threatening to trap your cat just seems crazy. Their dogs getting out of their yard is not your fault. These people sound very controlling. I would be worried that they will follow through and try to trap your cat so I'd be cautious.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:06 PM

513 posts, read 798,859 times
If the dogs can break through the invisible "fence" to chase a cat than what about a child? Or another person walking their dog on a leash? That is a serious issue that needs to be addressed and has nothing to do with the neighbors cats.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So, the neighbors, who presumably paid for a house and a yard that they and their pets can enjoy, must bend to the lackluster animal control of others on the street?

One more time, your cat, your problem. Deal with it.
The only person on the street who has "lackluster animal control" is apparently the neighbors, who have an invisible fence that clearly doesn't work if their dogs just run right over it and into the street. This all came about because the neighbors were annoyed that their dogs ignored their invisible fence and ran into the street. Those dogs could've been chasing the OP's cat, or they could've easily chased a squirrel, chipmunk, or car - either way, they still got into the street because the dog's owners (the neighbors) don't care to control their animals with an actual fence. It's ridiculous for the neighbors to blame the OP's cat, when really, the blame is squarely on their shoulders for installing an invisible fence that clearly doesn't work on their dogs. If they don't want their dogs to get out of their yard, they can put up an actual fence to keep them in.

What would you be saying if the OP had written, "My neighbors put in an invisible fence, but their dogs have gone right over it and into the road. Instead of putting up an actual fence to keep their dogs in, the neighbors just kept using the invisible fence. Today the dogs got run over after they once again went over the invisible fence and ran into the road." Would you still think it was everyone else who had "lackluster animal control" or would you think it was dog owner's fault for not using a fence that the dogs can't just run over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
If the dogs can break through the invisible "fence" to chase a cat than what about a child? Or another person walking their dog on a leash? That is a serious issue that needs to be addressed and has nothing to do with the neighbors cats.
Exactly. Clearly, the neighbors don't actually care about safety, they care more about not wanting to install an actual fence (for whatever reason). Once dogs show they have no problem crossing an invisible fence, the invisible fence is no longer working and you need to install an actual fence if you still want to let your dogs out without a leash.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Our neighbors cat was coming to my house and taunting my poor kitty through the glass doors. One spray with the hose took care of that. The cat got wet and now stays off my property. No trapping necessary.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
The only person on the street who has "lackluster animal control" is apparently the neighbors, who have an invisible fence that clearly doesn't work if their dogs just run right over it and into the street. This all came about because the neighbors were annoyed that their dogs ignored their invisible fence and ran into the street. Those dogs could've been chasing the OP's cat, or they could've easily chased a squirrel, chipmunk, or car - either way, they still got into the street because the dog's owners (the neighbors) don't care to control their animals with an actual fence. It's ridiculous for the neighbors to blame the OP's cat, when really, the blame is squarely on their shoulders for installing an invisible fence that clearly doesn't work on their dogs. If they don't want their dogs to get out of their yard, they can put up an actual fence to keep them in.

What would you be saying if the OP had written, "My neighbors put in an invisible fence, but their dogs have gone right over it and into the road. Instead of putting up an actual fence to keep their dogs in, the neighbors just kept using the invisible fence. Today the dogs got run over after they once again went over the invisible fence and ran into the road." Would you still think it was everyone else who had "lackluster animal control" or would you think it was dog owner's fault for not using a fence that the dogs can't just run over?

Exactly. Clearly, the neighbors don't actually care about safety, they care more about not wanting to install an actual fence (for whatever reason). Once dogs show they have no problem crossing an invisible fence, the invisible fence is no longer working and you need to install an actual fence if you still want to let your dogs out without a leash.
You must have missed the post where the OP claimed actual fences are not permitted.
The issue isn't the neighbors dogs, it's the cat roaming free. Invisible fences work well in most cases. Sometimes they need to be tweaked to make a bigger impression on the dogs. But, remember, the dogs are new, and still learning the boundaries.

The cat also ran into the street, the dog was chasing the cat. Either pet could have come to an untimely end under those circumstances.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When I lived in town I had 3 Rottweilers in a large kennel.
Why did you need three Rottweilers, especially "in town"? I lived in a rowhouse neighborhood for a year in which a backyard neighbor kept one of those huge beasts, and the turd smell was unbearable. I can't imagine the smell that would emanate from three of them.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Why did you need three Rottweilers, especially "in town"? I lived in a rowhouse neighborhood for a year in which a backyard neighbor kept one of those huge beasts, and the turd smell was unbearable. I can't imagine the smell that would emanate from three of them.
Why is it your business what I need? Could you smell my dog's chit?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:30 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You must have missed the post where the OP claimed actual fences are not permitted.
The issue isn't the neighbors dogs, it's the cat roaming free. Invisible fences work well in most cases. Sometimes they need to be tweaked to make a bigger impression on the dogs. But, remember, the dogs are new, and still learning the boundaries.

The cat also ran into the street, the dog was chasing the cat. Either pet could have come to an untimely end under those circumstances.
The op is not responsible for the neighbor's dogs breaking past their invisible fence barrier and running into the street. That is the neighbor's problem with controlling his dogs and unrelated to the cat. If the cat gets into their yard then I can see that being a problem but it's not the cat owner's fault that these dogs left their property and chased her cat into the street.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Forgot to add.....If I am a nightmare of a neighbor than apparently everyone else on this street is as well. Dogs poop, urinate, roam freely here. The grumpy, new neighbors are outnumbered. Perhaps they are the ones who should move.......they don't fit in here anyways! They are too uptight and picky for us!
This is the kind of neighborhood I grew up in. I did not realize anyone who didn't live in an apartment would have a cat who couldn't go outdoors. I never smelled a litter box until I was in my 20s. And it was always this way in my pre-18 years. Our neighbors didn't get fight like cats and dogs over cats and dogs. Though our cats roamed freely, our dogs did not. They went out in the back yard, and it was always someone's responsibility to clean up after them once a week. I always thought it was because they were stupider than cats and would get run over.

That said, I had two cats in adulthood, both indoor-outdoor. The first died at age five of kittymegalovirus. He probably did get it from being indoor-outdoor. The other one lived to be ten. I lived in an apartment most of the time with that cat, so even in this small, anecdotal look at the merits and flaws, I can see keeping a cat indoors all the time is probably worth it. But I don't think the cat feels the same way. I've never had another cat, and I doubt I will ever have one. I would feel terrible keeping one prisoner in the house, as I know I would not let a cat go out anymore, mainly because of psycho neighbors who think they have the right to kill it or trap it.

I wish I could just go back to the civilized '70s.

Last edited by jay5835; 04-23-2014 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships