Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times

Advertisements

More of a rant...

We have some senior facilities in our neighborhood. There are a couple area pubs that that are within a mile of their facility that some of them (seniors) have started to frequent. At first people didn't mind as they would just come in for a beer. But as time went on (about a year) staff and other patrons cringe when they show up. They all complain about their living situation and how they don't like others they live with...because the others are old and complain all the time...or they are too loud. Not surprisingly, they try to engage in 'conversation' (meaning they talk at) with anyone who comes near them....Except the other seniors. Usual topics are needing money, pains and medical procedures, minorities, wanting to move somewhere else....and they don't shut up. Its having your elderly relatives come over for happy hour daily.

They are demanding, often asking to get the TV changed if they don't like the program, wanting background music changed or turned down. Complaints about the strengths or volume of drinks etc. It gotten to the point that a couple of them have told they are not welcome anymore. Another has been belligerent and would proposition patrons before passing out in a chair (now banned). (meds may have kicked in).

Initially patrons felt sorry for them as they figured they were lonely and bored. But we have found them to be rude, bitter and unpleasant to be around. Now most patrons try to avoid them and Staff stops serving them once they become rude and often calls a cab for their mile ride home (which may be the MO of a few of them). The business is debating the awkward choice of not accepting these patrons.

Maybe if senior facilities had a bar, these people could go there to complain, and leave the rest of us peacefully alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
More of a rant...

We have some senior facilities in our neighborhood. There are a couple area pubs that that are within a mile of their facility that some of them (seniors) have started to frequent. At first people didn't mind as they would just come in for a beer. But as time went on (about a year) staff and other patrons cringe when they show up. They all complain about their living situation and how they don't like others they live with...because the others are old and complain all the time...or they are too loud. Not surprisingly, they try to engage in 'conversation' (meaning they talk at) with anyone who comes near them....Except the other seniors. Usual topics are needing money, pains and medical procedures, minorities, wanting to move somewhere else....and they don't shut up. Its having your elderly relatives come over for happy hour daily.

They are demanding, often asking to get the TV changed if they don't like the program, wanting background music changed or turned down. Complaints about the strengths or volume of drinks etc. It gotten to the point that a couple of them have told they are not welcome anymore. Another has been belligerent and would proposition patrons before passing out in a chair (now banned). (meds may have kicked in).

Initially patrons felt sorry for them as they figured they were lonely and bored. But we have found them to be rude, bitter and unpleasant to be around. Now most patrons try to avoid them and Staff stops serving them once they become rude and often calls a cab for their mile ride home (which may be the MO of a few of them). The business is debating the awkward choice of not accepting these patrons.

Maybe if senior facilities had a bar, these people could go there to complain, and leave the rest of us peacefully alone.
Lonely and bored results in rude, bitter and unpleasant for some. You gave yourself the answer already.

Of course they want to escape their senior facility every now and then and hang around younger people for a change. Can't blame them.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Interesting post and social observation

When you hit retirement age you become another race don't you
when you hit care facility age you are no longer human
Interesting collective observation and experience
It's just like the movie where the guy a bigot magically turns black in his sleep

Or district 9 where the bigot turns into an alien
The bad news buddy if you live it's going to happen to you

Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
So, Oildog, what kind of steps are you willing to take so that when you are old, you don't end up in a "facility" where you are forced to live with other people, do things on other people's schedules, and have all of your choices made for you? What kind of guarantee can you give yourself that you will always be perfectly mentally and physically healthy so that you will never feel powerless after 65, 70 years of living on your own and controlling your own fate?

Because from where I sit, there are two choices: Running for President and getting round-the-clock care like Ronald Reagan did, or putting a bullet in one's own head in one's early to mid-60s, when one is still of sound mind and body. Everyone else becomes vulnerable. Why? Because of attitudes like yours, that old people are a pain or crazy, an inconvenience that should be kept out of sight of the rest of society.

Shame on you. Really.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Yes, the questions myself and other patrons ponder are along those lines.

Am I going to be this bitter and hateful (more so) when I retire?
How is my retirement planning going, so that I have a better choice of where I live?
Need to exercise more so that I have better control (if any) of potential health issues as I age.

However as someone that has moved often as an adult, I know the challenges of trying to meet new people in an unfamiliar area. Resulting from this I think about topics of conversation I try to engage others with. Trying to make sure conversation flows two ways, rather than one party storytelling. I understand the desire to go out and interact with different (younger) people. But they don't want to interact with other seniors 'because they complain' and 'have too many problems'. But that's what they try to discuss with younger folks. Maybe its the mirror they fear.

Many of these seniors have lived in the city for a good part of their lives, some have part time jobs. They should have some contacts. Its not like they are shut ins in a dilapidated ghetto. Facility is in a desired part of the city with easy public transport access if they don't have their own. Again, these seniors are reasonably able bodied and have their wits. Its not a nursing home.

Maybe its the sense of entitlement many of them have, but don't feel they are getting. I saw that with one parent and some relatives. The ones who spent money as it came in, and had little saved as they aged. They are bitter and think someone owes them a nice house with servants.

Is this really any different from some guy at a bar, who goes up to a stranger and complains about their job for 15 minutes? At any age this is annoying. You may be tolerant over time of their rant if its not regular behavior of this person. But regularly? Few folks like complainers.

Maybe its just another tale of have and have-nots. Ant and grasshopper. Finding something to be involved with. A couple of the guys stop in after their golf, or involvement with a civic organization. Surprise. Generally pleasant folks, decent conversation, nice to be around.

Just because you are mad at yourself, doesn't give you the right to make other folks miserable.

Yes. There is no cheating death (age) and taxes. I just hope the choices I make and work toward, don't have me bitter.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Oil dog u r one of my favorite posters I don't know your age but I will guess u r younger than me
There are no true warriors and true fighters without scars easier to see when u are unguarded and naked
Those that don't have them are cowards and fakes
Strange they always want to talk about the person with the scar but never about those that made it
They laugh and call the scarred one old man & bitter

Old 04-21-2014, 11:24 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
More of a rant...

Sounds like the human condition in general: complain about your life until you're dead and buried. As an aside, I wonder where these pubs are located in Houston that you're talking about. I live in Houston myself and I would like to avoid them I enjoy going to Coaches in Katy, a couple of clubs in the Montrose area, and The Boneyard uptown.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Sounds like the human condition in general: complain about your life until you're dead and buried. As an aside, I wonder where these pubs are located in Houston that you're talking about. I live in Houston myself and I would like to avoid them I enjoy going to Coaches in Katy, a couple of clubs in the Montrose area, and The Boneyard uptown.
Montrose is hardly the rough side of town if that is your life you won't have much to complain about if you live to get old. Plan to stay young?
Go hang out and honky Tonk on market st in channelview
You won't have to worry about becoming old or listening to old people any more
Lol
A former houstonian

Old 04-21-2014, 12:04 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Is this really any different from some guy at a bar, who goes up to a stranger and complains about their job for 15 minutes? At any age this is annoying. You may be tolerant over time of their rant if its not regular behavior of this person. But regularly? Few folks like complainers.
No, it's not different. So why single the elderly out?

How is a drunk, belligerent senior different from a drunk, belligerent 20-something?

I just don't see why you are making this about old people. I also don't see why the pubs are considering not serving "them."

It really just sounds like discrimination and agism.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
Its hard to be happy and have fun conversations, if you're miserable. Its hard to be happy and entertaining, if you're in pain. Its hard to see that you're living in a society, that calls you a pain or crazy just because you're elderly. Its hard to become invisible, just because you have wrinkles. Its hard to lose most or all of your loved ones and friends, because you outlived them. Its hard to know for a fact, you'll never work again and improve your finances.

Its hard to have nothing to be hopeful about. Like Cher said: There's not a darn thing good about getting old. <paraphrased>

Word for the day: Compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships