Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If you wouldn't call in the middle of the night, don't text.

Excellent rule!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I just have one question.
Who sends an emergency text?

You CALL. You don't text when the situation is dire.
Stan, I'm completely with you on this. People feel a need to leave their phones on 24/7 because it is important for them to feel important. If they get a text in the night that they don't think is important, they don't get to blame you because they didn't silence their phones appropriately.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Stan, I'm completely with you on this. People feel a need to leave their phones on 24/7 because it is important for them to feel important. If they get a text in the night that they don't think is important, they don't get to blame you because they didn't silence their phones appropriately.
If someone called my house in the middle of the night for something unimportant I would be annoyed as well.

A cell phone is still a phone, and text messages are a way of communicating via phone. It is silly to expect people to treat their cell phones by some special subset of rules, when it is common knowledge that you don't phone someone in the middle of the night. If you wouldn't call, don't text. Whether or not someone uses their cell phones as their emergency phone is also no one else's business and basic politeness would tell you to treat a cell phone as a phone.

Now this is a small error that is rectified by a simple apology but what is truly rude is expecting people to treat their cell phones differently than their house phones just so you can have the ease of texting someone as opposed to emailing them. Which is what the OP should have done in the first place, btw. But she is taking something small and making it ginormous by trying to blame the people who received the text

Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
People feel a need to leave their phones on 24/7 because it is important for them to feel important.
That's a load. I leave my phone on 24/7 because it's my only phone.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 AM

185 posts, read 241,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's a load. I leave my phone on 24/7 because it's my only phone.
Lol same here, it's not very practical to even have a landline these days anymore. My parents just recently got rid of there's even because they realized everything is routed to their cellphones anyways (emails, appt. reminders etc.)

Old 04-30-2014, 11:17 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Quote:
Nope. It is my only phone, so it is on at all times. It has nothing with wanting to feel important. Where would you even get that idea? How can leaving your phone on make you feel important?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Nope. It is my only phone, so it is on at all times. It has nothing with wanting to feel important. Where would you even get that idea? How can leaving your phone on make you feel important?
Agreed. I MUTE the sounds on my cell during the day, when I'm asleep (night shifter) but do people unplug their home phones at night when they sleep? Probably not, so NOT turning off your cell and just plugging it in would be considered normal. Right?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I just have one question.
Who sends an emergency text?

You CALL. You don't text when the situation is dire.
While this might be rare, I just need to point out that in SOME areas, texts CAN be sent to E911. There ARE times when this might be needed, such as when a violent offender *might* be in the same room as you, but you need help. A covert text to the authorities rather than a voice call can make the difference.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:38 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
Texts are not a good business communication tool. It would be better to use email or better yet, have your business use a dedicated system for this sort of communication.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Texts are not a good business communication tool. It would be better to use email or better yet, have your business use a dedicated system for this sort of communication.

Bingo!

Texting is no way to communicate anything to do with business. Pick up the phone and call or send an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships