U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM

8,985 posts, read 14,640,482 times

Advertisements

LOL - I have to admit I just googled them. If someone had told me they had just purchased one, I would have had no idea. You never answered Mattie - are they even in that business themselves - to have an idea what it was? Even after being told, I would probably not have worked much enthusiasm, just because I would have no idea what that really means to you.

Possible scenarios:
Me: Hey, I just bought a kerfunkalot!
Friend: Oh, OK.

or

Me: I just bought a kerfunkalot, which will help me cut my work by a third!
Friend (enthusiastically): Congratulations!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 PM

16,947 posts, read 17,249,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
LOL - I have to admit I just googled them. If someone had told me they had just purchased one, I would have had no idea. You never answered Mattie - are they even in that business themselves - to have an idea what it was? Even after being told, I would probably not have worked much enthusiasm, just because I would have no idea what that really means to you.

Possible scenarios:
Me: Hey, I just bought a kerfunkalot!
Friend: Oh, OK.

or

Wow, you are a Lucky Duck!!! I have always wanted a kerfunkalot!

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-01-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 09:00 PM

8,985 posts, read 14,640,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
They are cheap on Amazon - and free shipping!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 PM

16,947 posts, read 17,249,607 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Quote:
They are cheap on Amazon - and free shipping!
Thanks for the tip!

------

To the OP. It probably was a situation where your friends didn't really understand your happiness at getting these pieces of equipment. Let it go.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:53 AM

22,555 posts, read 28,516,440 times
Excellent. Good for you to find a decent grain drill. You'll enjoy it.

Let me give you some advice, from one farmer to another. Wen you buy equipment, keep your mouth shut and keep it out of sight as much as possible.

You are telling friends and neighbors you have a grain drill and soon you will answer the door to find some complete stranger who tells you that he is the best friend of your neighbor's second cousin twice removed and his best friend has told him that you will be happy to loan him your gain drill.

You'd better decide what you are going to tell all the people who want to borrow your equipment. Let me assure you that when you loan it out, it will come back with something broken on it, and the borrower will insist that it was like that when they picked it up.

My suggestion is that you decide to become a custom farmer and when they ask, you can give them the hourly rate for the equipment which includes the driver (you).

Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM

374 posts, read 188,150 times
I know what both of them are, so I say Congratulations! Have fun and give thanks (quietly). I used to love using a skid steer (and I'm a woman). So much fun to play with the big toys, hehehehe

Oregonwoodsmoke has a great point: when (not if) someone eventually asks to borrow them, have a plan. I echo his suggestion to run it yourself. And don't be afraid to say No. "No" is a perfectly acceptable answer for something that impacts your livelihood.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:12 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,622,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Haha. good point!

But you never answered the question OP.

Why come on here asking for advice when you don't clearly explain the situation clearly?

If these people aren't in same line of work as you (farming) they wouldn't most likely know WTH you're talking about. I don't.

As one poster said it would like if their mechanic friend started telling them about some new part/equipment their eyes would glaze over.

So unless you clarify if these "friends" would even know what you're talking about, it is hard to tell if they're jealous or not, from the little information you have given.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:50 PM

5,919 posts, read 5,268,843 times
I am not in the habit of telling people I got something new. Eventually they will see it, and if they ask you can tell them about it.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:01 PM

45 posts, read 48,664 times
I have the same problem with my friends. I have learned not to tell them anything I don't have to about purchases that I have made. Jealousy is extremely common. The funny thing about is that people actually brag to me about their "stuff" all the time.

What I have learned about friendship is that it is many times it's one sided. You do all the work. They do nothing except tag along. If your friends are like that I suggest that you look for new friends.

A true friend would be happy for you if you have something new as you should be happy for them if the situation was reversed.

It is true that it is hard to be friends with people that have different incomes than you do. The worst case is when you start to pull away from your friends financially. It is extremely hard to keep the old friends. It has happened to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or