U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 AM

4,460 posts, read 2,856,979 times

Advertisements

I was never the type of person to invite others out for food or to play video games. Shy, and my places of residency were never really that ****-and-span with lots of hardware. I've been using social sites like Meetup instead. While the people I've met are fantastic, that's pretty much the only time I converse with them. I've fallen out with a lot of the closer friends, and I don't really have anybody to talk with about more serious subjects like work, relationships, mortgages, etc. Anybody else in the same situation? Would something like just emailing someone outside of some of those social sites (like Meetup and Facebook) no more than once a week change that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,043,229 times
If you want serious friends, I would suggest you think of more serious activities besides playing video games with them.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 AM

1,929 posts, read 1,863,629 times
Pick a hobby that means that you have to actually leave the house and go do something with other people.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

4,460 posts, read 2,856,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
If you want serious friends, I would suggest you think of more serious activities besides playing video games with them.
what do you suggest, scrap-booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Pick a hobby that means that you have to actually leave the house and go do something with other people.
I've done hiking and bar crawls. Same results

Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 AM

How about quilting?

Obviously you never developed many interests in life

Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,748,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I was never the type of person to invite others out for food or to play video games. Shy, and my places of residency were never really that ****-and-span with lots of hardware. I've been using social sites like Meetup instead. While the people I've met are fantastic, that's pretty much the only time I converse with them. I've fallen out with a lot of the closer friends, and I don't really have anybody to talk with about more serious subjects like work, relationships, mortgages, etc. Anybody else in the same situation? Would something like just emailing someone outside of some of those social sites (like Meetup and Facebook) no more than once a week change that?
Find activities that are more "serious" in nature. Meetup has so many different groups and interests you should be able to find SOMETHING of a more serious nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
This x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
what do you suggest, scrap-booking?

I've done hiking and bar crawls. Same results
No need to be snarky. Bar crawls - um that would probbaly not attract more serious people , fun, but if you are looking for "serious" I would try other types of activities. Hiking could be a good prospect - but I would give it a month or two to get to know people. what about looking for book clubs, or things that are not revolving around drinking and gaming.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM

How about sports?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,748,336 times
Game night groups
Dinner groups (ethnic restaurants, foodies, etc)
Sports Groups (hiking, mountain biking, road biking, rock climbing)
Board Games groups
Political Groups/Political Campaign volunteering
Religious groups

Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,008,426 times
Go back to school. There, you stand a good chance of meeting like-minded people, many of whom may be close to your age.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
1,019 posts, read 945,372 times
Just my $0.02...but have you ever done any volunteering? I have found, throughout my life, that in stressful or lonely times I go and do some volunteering. I meet people there, of all ages, and likes/dislikes and some of them become long time friends. I am also helping others in need by doing the volunteering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships