Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well of course it "showed the owner's face." Why would anyone take photos of a game? Other than a professional photographer? People don't attend a game and focus on photography unless they do it for a living or are an amateur with thousands of dollars worth of telephoto lenses and a Nikon.
Maybe I'm odd or missing your point, but I'd rather take a picture of the action, the halftime entertainment, or something I can't get a shot of other than at the game rather than a selfie with my back into the crowd.

I'm not going to take my DSLR Nikon to a basketball game when I'm sitting in the balcony. I don't want to lose or damage it. I'm perfectly fine with a check-in and a decent quality camera photo shot to post on FB to prove I'm there - I don't need a bunch of goofy selfies I could have shot anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
We're not talking about "mopheads from Liverpool ... on TV." What's comparable with the OP's premise is people's taking pictures or videos of themselves instead of watching said mopheads at the mophead concert, for which all have paid a lot of money. Forgive me if I'm being too "gramps" for you, but I don't bother with concerts anymore because I don't feel like dealing with idiots making videos of concerts which 9 out of 10 of them will never watch anyway. Just listening to the music is no longer enough? And I'm supposed to pay today's big bucks to go to such an event? Nuh-uh.,

The Kinks (another "mophead" group, from Muswell Hill, in North London) said it best:

"People take pictures of each other
Just to prove that they really existed."

Probably not a textbook definition of narcissism, the lyric certainly speaks to the sense of "self uber alles" today's ubiquity of cameras implies.

Love the Kinks . . .

And nothing wrong with memorializing that we all exist.

But note . . . the lyrics state that folks take pictures of EACH OTHER . . . not THEMSELVES. A fine point, but - the Kinks were not disparaging taking photos . . . they were referring to the emptiness of life and the impossibility of ever really connecting with anyone in a meaningful way.

Today's smartphone photo captures are a way of connecting, memorializing and sharing. I would say that - for those who enjoy sharing these moments with others - folks are definitely involved with one another and connected.

I still can't imagine why this would bother anyone who doesn't find sharing photos a fun past time. ???? Why would you care what others are doing? And how could that really be such a "bother" and distraction?

I mean . . . I could see it being a problem if folks were at a symphony or opera and standing up in the middle of an Aria and taking selfies, but . . . the OP was talking about a noisy, casual, oftentimes rowdy sports event.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Love the Kinks . . .

And nothing wrong with memorializing that we all exist.

But note . . . the lyrics state that folks take pictures of EACH OTHER . . . not THEMSELVES. A fine point, but - the Kinks were not disparaging taking photos . . . they were referring to the emptiness of life and the impossibility of ever really connecting with anyone in a meaningful way.

Today's smartphone photo captures are a way of connecting, memorializing and sharing. I would say that - for those who enjoy sharing these moments with others - folks are definitely involved with one another and connected.

I still can't imagine why this would bother anyone who doesn't find sharing photos a fun past time.
????
Interesting you said this. I made 3 new FB friends with people I took photos with last night. Two live in Michigan and one lives in Cincinnati. Who knows what them friendships can lead to? The advent of technology and social media is a GOOD thing no matter what the old farts may say IMO.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
I still can't imagine why this would bother anyone who doesn't find sharing photos a fun past time. ???? Why would you care what others are doing? And how could that really be such a "bother" and distraction?

I mean . . . I could see it being a problem if folks were at a symphony or opera and standing up in the middle of an Aria and taking selfies, but . . . the OP was talking about a noisy, casual, oftentimes rowdy sports event.
It's the lights, the blinking, all of which add up to a call for everyone within five feet to "pay attention to me!!!" Well, guess what. I don't want to pay attention to you. The best neighbors at public events, as at home, are ones you don't know are there.

But mostly, it's the annoying digital artifacts that obviously don't bother you and people like you. But there's no fight here. I stay home. I don't go where you are. You've won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Interesting you said this. I made 3 new FB friends with people I took photos with last night. Two live in Michigan and one lives in Cincinnati. Who knows what them friendships can lead to? The advent of technology and social media is a GOOD thing no matter what the old farts may say IMO.
Obviously, "them friendships" will lead to dinner next Friday, tons of totally awesome texting opportunities, and ultmately the chance to be exchange bridesmaid dresses when each of you gets married. It could hardly be more totes adorbs.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
It's the lights, the blinking, all of which add up to a call for everyone within five feet to "pay attention to me!!!" Well, guess what. I don't want to pay attention to you. The best neighbors at public events, as at home, are ones you don't know are there.

But mostly, it's the annoying digital artifacts that obviously don't bother you and people like you. But there's no fight here. I stay home. I don't go where you are. You've won.
I can see the lights bothering you . . . but I have never taken a "selfie" in a dark area and used a flash, so I hadn't even thought about that.

You don't need to worry about me "winning." I was simply explaining that this is not "narcissistic behavior" . . . I rarely attend events with thousands of people as my husband uses a wheelchair and dealing with crowds is hell.

I do take selfies of hubby and myself when we are out and about, in a restaurant, for example (and I often take a photo of the menu and the meal) -- as that is what my friends enjoy reading about - "restaurant reviews." Most of my photos which I post on FB, Instagram or Tumblr are landscapes.

But I don't see what the big deal is if others, especially young people, like to take "selfie" and "groupie" photos.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I do take selfies of hubby and myself when we are out and about, in a restaurant, for example (and I often take a photo of the menu and the meal) -- as that is what my friends enjoy reading about - "restaurant reviews." Most of my photos which I post on FB, Instagram or Tumblr are landscapes.
I don't like it in restaurants, either, especially people who take pictures of the food. Rare is the phone-taken photo of food that looks like anything other than a glob of brown, red, and/or beige, with the occasional spritz of green.

Quote:
But I don't see what the big deal is if others, especially young people, like to take "selfie" and "groupie" photos.
I didn't make it an age issue. You did, with your lame 1966 mophead comparison.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
I have a hard time buying that there are oodles of people taking selfies in the dark that people are blinded while watching their concerts. Are people really being inconvenienced?

Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have a hard time buying that there are oodles of people taking selfies in the dark that people are blinded while watching their concerts. Are people really being inconvenienced?
Does it really have to rise to the level that people are "blinded" in order for you to accept that yes, people are being inconvenienced by "oodles" of idiots playing with their "oodles" of digital toys in the dark?

As I said, I've given up. I no longer go anywhere I have to be part of an audience. Your side won, Bronwyn. At least be a gracious winner.

Unless your post was tongue-in-cheek...

Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Same thing has occurred with me . . . personal connections as well as business connections have ended up b/c of social media sharing. I have been on FB for 7 years . . . and it has been nothing but positive for me. Like a mini-magazine . . . my friends share info on the regions they live in as well as interesting articles we find on subjects that range from holistic health issues to archaeology, gardening and recipes.

Social media is what you make it. I think that is the whole point . . . folks decide how they want to interact with others and what info they want to share . . . and getting connected can expand one's world in many positive ways (at any age).

Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
You're so self-absorbed, it seems, you completely missed my point. I couldn't care less if you miss any of the show. I do not want to sit near you while you play with your toys, all of which give off glare and light and noise. And when you add up everyone's "15-60 seconds," it becomes quite a thing to deal with. Thanks, but no.
If you're at a concert or a sporting event, I can't imagine that the "glare and light and noise" is all that bothersome unless you're looking for something to be bothered by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships