U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,862,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In the last two years, I've been to events in Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC, and Ohio and not one of them had anything like you were describing to the point it would bother someone.
Same thing here in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:35 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,414,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I have never ever seen "legions of people" doing any such thing at any public event I've ever been too. Ever. I suppose people holding up lighters at concerts (do they still do that?) really gets your goat as well. Wear sunglasses.
Again, I admittedly live in the epicenter of the "look at me" lifestyle. I see it often enough.

Lighters? Not a bother, big difference. Those people were engaged in the moment/song and not fiddling with something to be enjoyed later ("damn, bad signal here, this grainy photo won't upload!..."yay, I just hit refresh three times and noticed 5 people liked my grainy photo of Bruno Mars!")

Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
If you don't want to watch a basketball game, if it's boring to you, don't go. That's easy right?
You do realize that basketball games (as well as other sporting events, for that matter) aren't non-stop action, don't you? There are plenty of opportunities to do things that don't involve watching the actual play. Yes, including selfies.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 AM

44,478 posts, read 35,935,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Sounds like the OP touched a nerve with the selfie mirror gazers. People are doing it because everyone else is, like the trendy sheep they are.
Why not just experience life's little moments with your five senses and let them pass? By focusing on a cold metal object in your hands you dilute the essence of the experience.
Take the photos outside the stadium, concert venue etc, put the phone away and fully experience the event while it is happening.
If you're at a concert, or on a tour, or at a game, whatever, how long does it take to take a picture - a couple of seconds, out of HOURS? See, this is what bugs me - I posted my "selfie" while we were in London just to make this specific point. Apparently some people on this thread would have judged me harshly for "taking that selfie rather than enjoying the sights - or at least taking photos of the sights rather than selfies." But what they don't or wouldn't have realized is that this was ONE PHOTO to commemorate the event. I wasn't taking selfies all over London - I took one. So what if I had taken ten though? My gosh, I was there for four days.

People have been taking photos of their adventures since photos were invented. Now that cameras are easy to carry around, operate, etc and you can enjoy them for virtually FREE rather than having to develop them in a darkroom or take them to WalMart and spend $18 developing a roll of film with who knows what sort of crap on it, it's fun to a lot of people to take a lot of photos. SO WHAT. I just don't get why this would bother OTHER people as long as they're not blocking someone's view. And I'm not talking about that scenario anyway - I'm talking about this attitude:

Quote:
Why not just experience life's little moments with your five senses and let them pass? By focusing on a cold metal object in your hands you dilute the essence of the experience.
Take the photos outside the stadium, concert venue etc, put the phone away and fully experience the event while it is happening.
I just think it's judgmental - you have no idea what a person's motivation is, how many photos they've taken, etc. Why on earth anyone would waste time at such an event judging others instead of just enjoying the event like they're thinking everyone else should do?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You do realize that basketball games (as well as other sporting events, for that matter) aren't non-stop action, don't you? There are plenty of opportunities to do things that don't involve watching the actual play. Yes, including selfies.
Yes I do. I grew up watching games at the old Boston Garden. Somehow we managed to enjoy attending a game without phones.

Like I mentioned, it was the confluence of several things for me that led to cutting back on the number of live events I attend, not just the so-called selfies crowd. I think the high cost of attending games (and how TV has affected nhow long these games last) contributes to a notion that the game itself is secondary, and people feel uninhibited to ignore the game and do whatever they feel like. Ditto for concerts and certain other events. If someone pays $400 to see Paul McCartney I kind of understand why they feel entitled to snap as many selfies as they desire. Not that I like it, but I get it.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Hey I know it's a restaurant and everything, but I want to get a little work done so why don't I plop my laptop down here, fire up my iTunes and have a little bite to eat?

Old 05-05-2014, 12:05 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Memories fade. Pictures help us to keep those memories longer. It's very possible to experience life's moments with all five senses AND take a picture with no dilution of "the essence of the experience."

Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM

533 posts, read 855,325 times
Sorry but I will judge. A couple of years ago I went to a show in Las Vegas. There was a long, explicit announcement before the show requesting no photography.
Of course some people chose to ignore it and took pictures throughout the show which led to ushers pointing flashlights and repeated "no cameras" warnings. It really detracted from the show. They got poor quality photos of the performance, far better quality photos and videos are a mouse click away on the internet, but people had to do it because they saw someone else doing it and damn it, if they can I can too. Who cares about the rules and other people sitting around me?
The other night I went to a pricey restaurant and the family next to our table continuously took pictures of themselves, each other, the food etc. creating a pleasant strobe light effect. One quick photo of everyone around the table would have sufficed but no, all six of us have to each need 20 photos of a one hour dinner to post on our Facebook pages (which we will post right now at the table rather than savoring our meal and each others company).

Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM

This is a little over the top, but otherwise well-stated.

Your Concert Photos Suck: A PSA | Stupid Ugly Foreigner

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I have never ever seen "legions of people" doing any such thing at any public event I've ever been too. Ever. I suppose people holding up lighters at concerts (do they still do that?) really gets your goat as well. Wear sunglasses.
The lighters are gone. There's an App for iPhones, though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virt...495099731?mt=8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships