U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:24 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,639,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The lighters are gone. There's an App for iPhones, though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virt...495099731?mt=8
To hell with ijunk, us old school rockers are still recognized by our lighters, especially if their refillable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:55 PM

26,353 posts, read 24,515,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Yes! It's a troubling indication of how narcissistic our society has become. I first noticed it at an outdoor concert I went to probably about five years ago. People all around us seemed more interested in posing for the camera (and talking to each other) than they were in actually watching the show. It's a sad commentary on our society, but self-absorption seems to rule the day. The comments so far in this thread seem to prove that out, since people seem to be just fine with this kind of behavior.

I agree, same with Facebook, and how people are constantly changing their pictures of themselves with selfies....and I said constantly, not once in a while, it is vane, just like someone who has a lot of mirrors in their homes. And yes, those flashes can be extremely distracting....
and you get reps Adrain! I know this came up at work and people felt the same way.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:22 PM

425 posts, read 348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can't fathom how this has turned into some kind of weird discussion about narcissistic behavior. Taking pictures of one's self and sharing them with FRIENDS who are doing the SAME THING (sharing their photos) is "narcissistic"? Not hardly.

I think either you just don't know how to use the technology - or don't have any friends who care if you "share" a photo so you have decided to disparage anyone else who does, lololol.

If it were 1966 you would doubtless be the one complaining about the loud music - and asking why those disrespectful, self-centered narcissistic kids are fainting and screaming just because some mopheads from Liverpool are on TV.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong on every single point.

1. As I stated, there is nothing wrong with taking pictures and sharing things with other people. The PROBLEM is the FREQUENCY and overall ATTITUDE. Individuals and groups are COMPELLED to constantly take pictures of themselves and the things around them. Many people cannot go anywhere or do anything without taking pictures of their experience. If you don't think this is a problem, then we will have to agree to disagree. There is no reason for me to type out all of the reasons this is a detrimental lifestyle.

2. I do know how to use technology, in fact, better than the vast majority of people who are constantly snapping pictures of everything in their vicinity. My friends care just as much as anyone else's friends when I post a random picture of myself, my food, or the place I'm at -- that is -- most people do not care much, just as most people do not care about your trivial matters either.

3. Another presumption and a terrible analogy. You are insinuating that I would have a problem with kids enjoying a band in the past, based on my reluctance to accept the current distracted, egotistical, narcissistic trend in social media. I refuse to believe that in the future people will be acting like they do now with their phones. It's just a fad that will pass. It's not some new enlightened way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Sounds like the OP touched a nerve with the selfie mirror gazers. People are doing it because everyone else is, like the trendy sheep they are.
Why not just experience life's little moments with your five senses and let them pass? By focusing on a cold metal object in your hands you dilute the essence of the experience.
Take the photos outside the stadium, concert venue etc, put the phone away and fully experience the event while it is happening.
This is the crux of the matter. Believe it or not, the compulsion to document every little thing DOES take away from peoples' experience. Once you take out your phone to take a picture of yourself and your food, you have broken your connection with everything going on around you. Ironically, in order to "save" some little slice of the world and lock it up into your pocket, you are no longer immersed in the world. The people who don't realize this or will argue it's not true, have simply become numb by doing it so often and thinking that it's normal.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:22 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,231,739 times
I don't think anyone objects to the occassional selfie it's when you reach the Kim Kardashian level that it becomes a narcissistic me, me, me, self love obsession that bugs the hell out of some of us.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:26 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
If I'm somewhere in public and want my picture taken, I usually ask someone to do it for me since it looks like a regular picture. I've also taken pictures for other people. To me, the "bathroom selfie" is one of the most overused and ridiculous things around.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:34 PM

15,036 posts, read 4,800,491 times
For me, it is something I would only do on a special occasion like a birthday (and probably just the ones ending in digits 0 or 5....40,45,50,55, etc). If I won the lottery...for sure! 99+% of the time...no.

In general, some friends and other people have taken and continue to take more than enough pictures of me when out and about and during holidays and a few other occasions. So no need to be taking pictures of myself. It is more important to be comfortable with who you are and I am. If others want to be an imaginary "celebrity" for a moment, that is fine, too and their decision, not mine. To each their own preference. I'll bet a year or so from now the trend runs out of steam.

I won't judge others on it unless they are taking selfies while driving which puts themselves and others at risk.

That is my 2 cents.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,080,222 times
I've always been a photo-taking guy and would've taken zillions of them in the 80s when I was a teen had it not been for the cost of film & processing. Once I got my 1st ever digital in August 2003, it was like a dog being unleashed.

And there isn't a thing wrong with it.

Why people have a problem with it now & didn't then is beyond me. If I'm supposedly "missing out," well it's ME that's missing out, so it's only my business. Flashes are no more distracting now than then, and with cameras like Sony NEX (E-mount) which have great low light performance at higher ISOs you can often-times pass on flash (and get better photos actually if there's no blur from movement). Models like the Nikon 1-series take much better photos than a smartphone or point & shoot, on par with a 2005 or 2006 12mp DSLR (if not a 2011-2014 DSLR) and are virtually silent.

Most of all, I know me--I love looking at photos of past life events and remembering the past memories of my life events that way (and others in the group often ask for copies of my photos for themselves for the same reason), and when taking photos and/or videos I know I am enabling myself to do this later. If I want to do that, there's not a thing in the world wrong with it. Heck, I wish I'd had that ability in the 80s or 90s, I would LOVE to have many photos of those years in my teens and 20s.

Snap away, I say.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM

1,309 posts, read 903,338 times
People not wanting others to take selfies are really messed up. What's it to you? People have always wanted to record their fun times. Even when I was a kid before internet, people were always snapping shots of stuff they wanted to remember. They just didn't have technology to do selfies since doing it on an old school camera can be cumbersome and difficult. You really think George Washington and Abe Lincoln would have never taken selfies had the technology existed?

Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM

43,557 posts, read 52,667,627 times
So I get what the op is saying about rampant narcissism that is made easier with all the new tech we have.

But I am also reminded of some of my albums of pictures I have from trips I took all over the world. And one thing that makes me a little sad is that I don't have many pictures of myself - things that would really personalize the pic. Otherwise, I can just buy a postcard, you know?

That might be one reason - though I would be more inclined to have someone else take the picture so we can get a better background in. Maybe people are afraid to ask.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:14 PM

206 posts, read 131,397 times
OMG glad you said this because my dad's ugly oldass girlfriend (who is 52!) takes more selfies than me! (I'm 20). She is so in love with herself its disgusting! And she is duckfacin in them all. Or she had her fat mouth open. She tries to act like a teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships