U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,448,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Since this is so rampant in your area it's likely captured on youtube. I don't know where you live, but could you provide an example? I watched 5 minutes of a random Denver game today (recorded by a person in mid level seats) and did not notice any selfies, just one woman who took a shot of the court.
What would be captured on YT? Any pics/videos would be shared between the users, not necessarily uploaded to YT.

I was at a Steve Martin (music, not comedy) concert at the H'wood Bowl last summer and that would be the worst I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:32 PM

206 posts, read 131,568 times
keep talkin, you don't know her so it doesn't do any good for you to try and argue with MY opinion

Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,084,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Many here cannot grasp the notion that no single person thinks they're the problem...but there are 1000 such people together who become the problem.
One person out of every 18-20 takes a selfie, and it ruins the game for you? Do all 1000 of them usually sit in your section and in front of you?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 PM

1,731 posts, read 880,715 times
i think, to me, it is the selfies that have nothing to do with anything else that might also be in the picture, to me those are the narcissistic selfies. taking a picture of yourself standing with the ocean behind you makes perfect sense to me. standing in front of the eiffel tower? absolutely! yet another picture of you sitting in your car with your sunglasses on? a different hat today? pink lipstick instead of the red you had on yesterday? oh there you are in the bathroom mirror again. and another one where you can't tell where you are, because it is just of you! no, i don't get those at all.

the pictures with the arm extended up and camera/phone pointed down. the original selfie position, the myspace selfie! all these selfies are taken solely for the purpose of taking of picture of yourself. those are the selfies that are narcissistic in my opinion.

sitting at mc donalds, walking down a non-descript street, sitting at home, in the car, in the bathroom...for no apparent reason.

they don't bother me, per se. i don't really care. and i have taken a selfie or two. definitely not a lot, not in any way regularly. i also have taken them with someone else, but i much prefer to ask an innocent passerby to take a photo for us.

but i do see the narcissism in these selfies that was not present in the past. nowadays, there are an awful lot of people taking pictures of themselves for no reason other than they want to have another picture of themselves to post online for their 842 friends to see.

as far as camera phones at concerts, events, children's performances...oy vey...don't get me started! it is truly ridiculous how many people are recording and/or taking pictures while they are at a concert or performance of some sort. i'm sure there are parents that can agree, you go to an elementary school play and there are dozens of cameras held up blocking views of the people behind them. fortunately, my son's middle school has now banned that! they will ask you to put your phone down and if you don't, they might ask you to leave. i love that! sometimes it's being professionally recorded and you may buy the dvd for 20 bucks.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,523,761 times
It doesn't bother me in the least. Sure, some people are narcissists, but what's the problem? If not today, at some point, someone is probably going to be very happy that those pictures exist.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 PM

1,731 posts, read 880,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Sure, some people are narcissists, but what's the problem?
it's not a problem. i thought this was just a discussion. *shrug*

Old 05-06-2014, 12:20 AM

204 posts, read 259,418 times
I spent 3 months in Europe by myself. 0 selfies. But then again my surroundings were jaw dropping

Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 AM

1,327 posts, read 784,264 times
I took a selfie just to see if I could make that "duck face".

I can!

When I found my BF's sunglasses that he lost at my house. I took a selfie with me wearing them to let him know I found them.

ETA: FYI, just wanted to clarify...that blue sunglasses emoticon guy is not my selfie.

Last edited by ForLoveOnly; 05-06-2014 at 01:01 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,936,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
What would be captured on YT? Any pics/videos would be shared between the users, not necessarily uploaded to YT.

I was at a Steve Martin (music, not comedy) concert at the H'wood Bowl last summer and that would be the worst I've seen.
The vid I watched yesterday was recorded by a regular joe on a phone. You can see the audience pretty well. I figure recordings like that are likely to catch people taking selflies if there are so many people doing it (dozens, hundreds, a 1000?).

Old 05-06-2014, 04:21 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,936,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancycakes View Post
keep talkin, you don't know her so it doesn't do any good for you to try and argue with MY opinion
It's not about her in particular. It's about ignorant comments IRT age, which are applicable to populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships