Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
How is a person changing their fb profile pic distracting? How in the world is that distracting? I don't get it. I don't understand what a person's personal page would have anything to do with an activity where someone else could get distracted. Snapping flash pics in a movie theater I get. Profile pics not so much.
well, there goes my writing capabilities again....

1. It is distracting when you are at a game, that is where it is distracting....

2. and when people constantly change their FB pictures, it is to me, not distracting, but extremely vane, (should have made it clearer) but has become acceptable....for me, it is how I feel....how you feel is up to you, own it, that is fine...just discussing how we feel about things for goodness sakes, small stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
When I was younger, I took my camera everywhere. Spent more time taking photos than enjoying my surroundings. I have so many pictures from my youth.

Now it's just my husband and I. We spend so much time enjoying the world together, we forget to take pictures. And the few pictures we take don't have us in them! However, the cell phone has enabled me to take way too many photos of our pets.

Taking selfies is just a stage in people's life. They will eventually get over it.

In the meantime - just photo-bomb them!!!!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
One person out of every 18-20 takes a selfie, and it ruins the game for you? Do all 1000 of them usually sit in your section and in front of you?
geeze louise, why must everything that disagrees with what you think and feel have to be a gosh darn personal attack against you?

we that don't like it, are simply voicing our opinions and not attacking you...it is distracting to us, while it isn't to you, we don't all think and feel alike. Things that distract you, might not distract us....why can't you just allow people their thoughts and feelings? Doesn't make you right and me wrong, it is simply who we are....period.

Let it go and move onto another discussion, Geese Louise? But of couse, you won't b/c you can't see it that way...

Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
For me, I find that "selfies" in and of themselves are not that big of a deal. I do however see how they are connected to bigger issues concerning people becoming more and more self absorbed and isolated within their small little world of "me". It's tied to the issue of people being out and about and completely oblivious to their surroundings because they have their phone perpetually connected to their ear or their fingertips. It's also connected to the issue of some people living their entire lives on FB and who have trouble with picking up the phone or even being present when they are with friends (because they are tied to their phone, which is tied to their FB).

I really find it difficult to articulate this issue well so I'm not sure if the above will make sense. I do see how things like social media are transforming the way that people interact with others and the world at large and I find it concerning. Selfies are just one tiny part of all of it.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

1. It is distracting when you are at a game, that is where it is distracting....
I can't imagine how. With all the action and activity going on at a game. Between the actual game, the dancers, people around you cheering and dancing themselves, moving around to get concessions, talking loudly with those around them ... list list of stuff going on at any given time is long. Games are not occasions to sit quietly in one's own seat for 3 hours and focus entirely on the players. It's a fun, raucous atmosphere. How is someone taking a selfie distracting? It's not. You're just looking for something to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
2. and when people constantly change their FB pictures, it is to me, not distracting, but extremely vane, (should have made it clearer) but has become acceptable....for me, it is how I feel....how you feel is up to you, own it, that is fine...just discussing how we feel about things for goodness sakes, small stuff.
Again, someone's vanity (vain, not vane) doesn't affect you.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
For me, I find that "selfies" in and of themselves are not that big of a deal. I do however see how they are connected to bigger issues concerning people becoming more and more self absorbed and isolated within their small little world of "me". It's tied to the issue of people being out and about and completely oblivious to their surroundings because they have their phone perpetually connected to their ear or their fingertips. It's also connected to the issue of some people living their entire lives on FB and who have trouble with picking up the phone or even being present when they are with friends (because they are tied to their phone, which is tied to their FB).

I really find it difficult to articulate this issue well so I'm not sure if the above will make sense. I do see how things like social media are transforming the way that people interact with others and the world at large and I find it concerning. Selfies are just one tiny part of all of it.
You did just fine MissTerri

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I can't imagine how. With all the action and activity going on at a game. Between the actual game, the dancers, people around you cheering and dancing themselves, moving around to get concessions, talking loudly with those around them ... list list of stuff going on at any given time is long. Games are not occasions to sit quietly in one's own seat for 3 hours and focus entirely on the players. It's a fun, raucous atmosphere. How is someone taking a selfie distracting? It's not. You're just looking for something to complain about.

Again, someone's vanity (vain, not vane) doesn't affect you.
well, thats right, you can't imagine, can you, otherwise you wouldn't be arguing the point....
listen, just b/c you don't understand a thing, doesn't make it less distracting for those that do...YOUR NOT WRONG FOR YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT THIS...but neither am I. You have little tiny things that bother you and so do I....

OK, ok, your right, I'm looking for something to complain about, but pssst, that's what so nice about this country, I can.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
LOL this whole forum is full of people complaining about petty things - myself included!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

That said, I agree that it's one of those things you're better off ignoring, because being upset by it will be far more distracting than simply allowing it to exist once you've sufficiently acknowledged how pervasive it's become.

I'm not going to call it a trivial concern in the spirit that something's wrong with you for being annoyed by it. Just that it might stress you out less to give it less attention. All small things are a symptom of something bigger. If you want to talk about that "something bigger", discussions have been rolling around the psych forum surrounding this subject a lot, especially in relation to technology. Might flesh more out there.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
How do you know what they care about or what their interests are? Who anointed you as the judge of their motives?
If they hampered your enjoyment of the game, is that their problem or yours? Why did you choose to dwell on them?
Get over yourself.
This is pretty much the real issue. OP, what these people are doing has no negative effect on you. You are and others are looking for reasons and excuses to be annoyed. I can't emphasize with that. In my opinion it people who decide to be passively annoyed at others simply because they are being themselves seem to thing that everyone should be who they want them to be. Quite selfish really. These people aren't even thinking about you OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships